2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
GrimRob
March 30, 2021, 9:07pm

Posts Per Day: 2.11
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,452
Gold Stars: 114
James Mariner has sent me this:

Could you imagine Matete playing just behind a front two of Mendonca and Rees? I can, and I have frequently over the last 10 or so games.  I think I’ve watched every game Matete has played this year and I think he has a place in my all-time starting eleven (late 80’s to now). Surely he has been wasted playing deeper, he is currently the only player who can win the ball, beat a man and make a pass - unfortunately, that pass is often left or right to a player with inferior creativity. If I close my eyes I can see Futcher making a crunching tackle, passing out to a calm and focused Dobbin, who does his job perfectly and makes a direct no-nonsense pass through to Matete who shields the ball and, just before he loses control, plays a toe-poke to Rees, who, without breaking his stride neatly back heels to Mendonca - and you know what he does then. This, and similar daydreams while slumped over the laptop questioning the £10 spent, is what keeps me going.

On a side note, I remember Jim Dobbin being a victim of poor proofreading for the program of one of the Wembley visits, listed on the team sheet as Dubbin. I like to think the program makers reprinted a copy for him for his memorabilia den.

If we go down, we’ll be back!

James

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Sandford1981
March 30, 2021, 9:20pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.97
Rep Score: +11 / 0
Approval: +2,085
Gold Stars: 59
Quoted from GrimRob

Could you imagine Matete playing just behind a front two of Mendonca and Rees? I can, and I have frequently over the last 10 or so games.  I think I’ve watched every game Matete has played this year and I think he has a place in my all-time starting eleven (late 80’s to now).

Whatever he is drinking or taking-I want some too!

“I know writers who use subtext and they’re all cowards.” –Garth Marenghi
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 13
arryarryarry
March 30, 2021, 9:59pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,042
Gold Stars: 117
If Matete was that good, would he be plying his trade for a club diving head first into the Conference?
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 13
ginnywings
March 30, 2021, 10:17pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from arryarryarry
If Matete was that good, would he be plying his trade for a club diving head first into the Conference?

If Harry Kane was that good, why was he on loan at Orient?

Useless git.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 13
gtfc_akpa_akpro
March 30, 2021, 11:56pm

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +5 / -3
Approval: +104
Gold Stars: 9
Quoted from GrimRob

Could you imagine Matete playing just behind a front two of Mendonca and Rees? I can, and I have frequently over the last 10 or so games.  I think I’ve watched every game Matete has played this year and I think he has a place in my all-time starting eleven (late 80’s to now). Surely he has been wasted playing deeper, he is currently the only player who can win the ball, beat a man and make a pass - unfortunately, that pass is often left or right to a player with inferior creativity. If I close my eyes I can see Futcher making a crunching tackle, passing out to a calm and focused Dobbin, who does his job perfectly and makes a direct no-nonsense pass through to Matete who shields the ball and, just before he loses control, plays a toe-poke to Rees, who, without breaking his stride neatly back heels to Mendonca - and you know what he does then. This, and similar daydreams while slumped over the laptop questioning the £10 spent, is what keeps me going.

On a side note, I remember Jim Dobbin being a victim of poor proofreading for the program of one of the Wembley visits, listed on the team sheet as Dubbin. I like to think the program makers reprinted a copy for him for his memorabilia den.

If we go down, we’ll be back!

James

I like your points except that of passing. I feel like this is one of his only weaknesses when it comes to execution. If that part of his game becomes more refined, he will be championship pushing to the premier league in the short future.

Personally I like him playing in the position he is in because he is usually all over the field and I wouldn’t want to see that energy lost in the middle.

i would really like to know biccys favourite biscuit.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 13
moosey_club
March 31, 2021, 8:10am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,302
Gold Stars: 227
More importantly  when will he be fit ?

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 13
HertsGTFC
March 31, 2021, 9:25am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.25
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,997
Gold Stars: 228
He adds something to our poor quality team regardless of where he is in his development.

Where he ends up and what he achieves remains to be seen.

As he’s a midfield player I can’t help comparing him to Embleton or Benson when I see him play.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 13
diehardmariner
March 31, 2021, 9:37am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,705
Gold Stars: 543
The beauty of football is that it's all about opinions.

I like Matete, thought we lost our way when he went off injured on Saturday and would like to see him playing further forward - much like when he first arrived.  I think he's a solid player, would flourish in a better side and be it League Two or Conference would love to see him in our side next season.  I also think that's about as likely as me getting a game for Town.

But in the all-time Town team since the late 80's?  I started watching Town around the same team and I can't imagine he would get in my top 50 players.  Since the mid 2000's, let's be honest in the majority since the turn of the century, it's been quite a low bar but the standard in the 1990's was so high.  Players who were bit-part players would walk into our team, star players, captain, marquee players.   Nicky Southall, Darren Wrack, Jamie Forrester, Daryl Clare and even going a bit further back the likes of Paul Agnew, Kev Jobling...players who for long periods struggled to hold a regular place in the team but were absolutely streets above anything we've had in god knows how many years.

'Scuse me, I'm off to cry in a corner.
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 13
Sandford1981
March 31, 2021, 9:57am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.97
Rep Score: +11 / 0
Approval: +2,085
Gold Stars: 59
Quoted from diehardmariner
The beauty of football is that it's all about opinions.

I like Matete, thought we lost our way when he went off injured on Saturday and would like to see him playing further forward - much like when he first arrived.  I think he's a solid player, would flourish in a better side and be it League Two or Conference would love to see him in our side next season.  I also think that's about as likely as me getting a game for Town.

But in the all-time Town team since the late 80's?  I started watching Town around the same team and I can't imagine he would get in my top 50 players.  Since the mid 2000's, let's be honest in the majority since the turn of the century, it's been quite a low bar but the standard in the 1990's was so high.  Players who were bit-part players would walk into our team, star players, captain, marquee players.   Nicky Southall, Darren Wrack, Jamie Forrester, Daryl Clare and even going a bit further back the likes of Paul Agnew, Kev Jobling...players who for long periods struggled to hold a regular place in the team but were absolutely streets above anything we've had in god knows how many years.

'Scuse me, I'm off to cry in a corner.

Nail on head!

“I know writers who use subtext and they’re all cowards.” –Garth Marenghi
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 13
pontoonlew
March 31, 2021, 9:59am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,091
Gold Stars: 178
Matete is a quality player, fantastic ball control and he's always willing to pick up the ball in any position and very rarely loses it when he does. He's brought out the best in Rose who has looked much better. I've no doubt in a better side he'd be able to get forward more often and we forget he's just turned 20 years old, he's playing far above his years at the minute.

My only criticism is that he's terrible in the tackle and possesses a weird centre of gravity, constantly looks like he's falling over which affects his tackling for me.

Aside from that, he's miles better than where we are at the minute and he'll no doubt have a fantastic career. Given the fact a fairly large portion of our fanbase didn't rate Siriki Dembele, I wouldn't be too worried if I was him and read that some fans didn't rate him, it's probably a good thing.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 13
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Matete

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.