Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back  (merged)
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 129 Guests

Just Back  (merged)

This thread currently has 18,199 views. Print
15 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 Next All Recommend Thread
AussieMariner
August 28, 2021, 7:11pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +13 / -4
Approval: +2,076
Gold Stars: 31
Given that only Macca and HC out of the starting 11 were here last season, plus the interruption in training I think we’ve got to be pleased with that.
I was also very pleased to be handed a free scarf by JS in person on the way in - a nice surprise and a great touch.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 143
Davec
August 28, 2021, 7:13pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,455
Gold Stars: 42
When are the national League highlights on please
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 143
chipsandgravy
August 28, 2021, 7:15pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +3,632
Gold Stars: 38
Quoted from VinnyGTFC

Then tell me why I'm wrong instead of being arrogant

CBA
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 143
KingstonMariner
August 28, 2021, 7:17pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.04
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from VinnyGTFC

Then tell me why I'm wrong instead of being arrogant

That’s a tough riddle. I don’t know. Why are you wrong instead of arrogant?

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 143
chipsandgravy
August 28, 2021, 7:26pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +3,632
Gold Stars: 38
Quoted from VinnyGTFC
Sousa looks out of his depth and will struggle against good teams. Set plays were awful. For the most part we were comfortable without being clinical. All in all we will need to play better but some positives to take. On we go.

You have 16 red crosses and counting. Sure you can figure it out!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 143
August 28, 2021, 7:30pm
Guest User
Anyone know where and when we can see the highlights of the match.  BTW, noticed that one of Stockports new fancied strikers done his hamstring earlier in the match, I think it was Quigley.
Reply: 15 - 143
Hagrid
August 28, 2021, 7:30pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,485
Gold Stars: 536
Just seen the goal after the Southend game finished

I believe the highlights are on BT Sport tomorrow evening 8 o clock ish
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 143
August 28, 2021, 7:31pm
Guest User
Quoted from Hagrid
Just seen the goal after the Southend game finished

I believe the highlights are on BT Sport tomorrow evening 8 o clock ish

Thank you.

Reply: 17 - 143
ska face
August 28, 2021, 7:34pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,780
Gold Stars: 851
Thought we looked good in the first 20 mins or so, playing through the lines with Fox & Hunt finding McAtee, Sousa and Taylor well to feet. Some of the interplay was nice to watch though, probably understandably, that final ball wasn’t always there and a couple or times the players were treading on each other’s toes in and around the box. A bit more understanding & time and it’ll click. Though Wright looked really sharp when he came on.

Would hope that Fox & Hunt iron out their own roles as they looked like they wanted to do the same job at points today. Long-King looked a really good defender but Pearson always gave the ball back to LK to distribute, I’m not sure he’s 100% comfortable as a ball-playing centre half.

Much better than I was expecting.
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 143
Tommy
August 28, 2021, 7:47pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,866
Gold Stars: 76
Great to be back at BP.

Started with what at times looked like a diamond midfield with Hunt at the base and McAtee at the tip, and at other times looked like a 4312. In reality it was both in different phases of the game.

Having not seen any of the pre-season games other than some of the footage online, I was pleasantly surprised by some of the football we played. Hunt, McAtee and Fox are real footballers. Taylor up top looked really classy and so effective. Sousa is a bit rough around the edges but that's a positive thing in my opinion having a player of that type.

I thought we mixed it up fairly well 1st half in terms of building play up from the back, and going more direct. When we built play up, it was good to see McAtee taking up some excellent positions, often starting high up in between the front 2 and dropping into the #10 position at the right time to receive a pass. Sousa did this a lot too, coming short to pick the ball up and start travelling forward with it. Seen a comment earlier in the thread saying Hunt didn't do a lot. I like the look of him and think he's technically very good, puts his foot in, but more impressively looked to play forward quality passes into the feet of the front 2 and McAtee. A lot of players shy away from that because it generally means you're playing passes into the most congested and defensively sound area of the pitch and thus have more of a chance of it being intercepted or unsuccessful.

When we went more direct into Taylor he made it stick and found a Town player almost every time. Was gutted he had to come off but not surprised after his (lack of) pre-season.

Got into lots of good positions in the first half and failed to put good quality crosses across/into the box or find that ruthless edge. Hopefully with a bit more training (after the enforced break) and sharpness that will come. The Sousa chance as well should've seen us 1-0  up by half time.

Second half wasn't quite as fluid and we had a few hairy moments when they had a 5-minute spell where they had a few set pieces and loose balls in our box.
We just weren't getting around the outsides of them as much as in the first half. The full backs couldn't get as far forward as they had in the first half. Hurst put Max Wright on and went 4-2-3-1, with Sousa, McAtee and Wright supporting LJL and we had that threat in wide areas high up the pitch again. Within minutes of this I think we scored with a well worked goal and finish. I didn't think LJL was as effective as Taylor was but he did really well to pick out McAtee's run and to set it into his path so he didn't need to break stride and could get away an early shot.

After that we could've got another goal with a bit more ruthlessness. Wright and Sousa started to get in good positions in the final third more often but didn't make the most of it.

I was concerned about the late substitution to put Waterfall on. It's not an issue with Waterfall, he's fine for this league. But as we've seen before, countless times, defending such a tight lead and putting on an extra defender in place of a midfielder/forward just invites pressure and gives the opposition time in deep areas (half way line ish) to get their heads up and launch it in our box. Don't understand why we do that with a single goal lead when the opposition will be bang up for slinging it in the mixer. Hope it won't be a regular thing.

All in all, came away happy. Some good quality footballers on show in black and white. Not mentioned Crookes but think he'll be a solid player, decent enough on the ball and a very imposing figure for a full back. We look well covered at LB with him and a more attack-minded Revan. It's also pleasing that Hurst is lot more tactically flexible these days and will change system during a game. We probably only saw this in his previous spell when it was too late or we were already behind.

UTM.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 143
15 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back  (merged)

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.