Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Play-offs or not ?
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 127 Guests

Are we going to reach the play-offs or not ?
Yes
No
  View Results 190 Votes Total
You must login or register to be allowed to participate in this poll

Play-offs or not ?

This thread currently has 6,789 views. Print
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
ginnywings
February 13, 2022, 12:39pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from Poojah

Yeah, last season 69 was sufficient and Chesterfield actually finished 6th with that tally. But this season low 70s would mean at least two of those aforementioned rivaks seeing their PPG drop by around 25% over the remaining games.

I don’t see much evidence of that happening, in particular where Wrexham are concerned given the money they spunked in January.

Just checked back a few seasons as far as 2014/15 and the highest tally I could find for a 7th place finish was 76 points and that wasn't needed as 8th was only 68 points in that season.

If all the teams maintain their current PPG as you suggest, then it is going to be a season with a particularly high points tally for the play off spots. Mind you, that would be typical GTFC to get to 70 odd points and still be nowhere near in an outlier season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 52
ska face
February 13, 2022, 8:07pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,780
Gold Stars: 851
Still think our run-in looks decent. The spell between 19th March and 15th April will make or break the season. In that month we’ve got the teams (currently) in 1st, 2nd, 5th, 6th and 10th.

Our next few matches look winnable though I’d take a point at Southend as it stands, then from Easter Monday we have (currently) 22nd, 11th at home, 19th, 20th and 14th at home.

I just hope we’ve something to play for on the last Saturday of the season, not much worse than falling short and playing out dead rubbers.
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 52
KingstonMariner
February 13, 2022, 8:09pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.04
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
I said “no” but I haven’t abandoned hope. Tall order though given our thin squad.

It would be sweet to end Bromley’s season. Classless oafs led by a big classless oaf who no doubt learned gamesmanship and bad grace from that whinging Brummie he played under st Northampton.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 52
MarinerDevil
February 13, 2022, 8:49pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.39
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +2,802
Gold Stars: 80
While we're talking about stats, I've only just noticed the difference between our home and away records this season.

Home
Away
P 15
P 13
W 10
W 4
32 Pts
14 Pts

Our home record is currently the best in the division in terms of absolute points, although we've played 1 or 2 more home games than some teams.  But our away performances have killed us.  Without those mysterious no-shows at Wealdstone, Aldershot and Maidenhead, we'd be comfortably in the play-offs.

Don't really know what that says about the team, although it's odd for a Hurst side to not be able to grind out those 1-0 away wins his previous Town sides were famous for.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 52
GrimRob
February 13, 2022, 9:13pm

Posts Per Day: 2.11
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,452
Gold Stars: 114
Ran the calculator we came 9th, 9 points off

https://www.thefishy.co.uk/calculator0.php?competition=5

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 34 - 52
DB
February 13, 2022, 9:13pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.40
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,056
Gold Stars: 391
Liverpool are in a similar state of affairs to us 9 points behind the league leaders. all beit in 2nd spot. I don't think for a minute with the games to play they have given up hope of being league champions with 14 games to play.

With 16 games left, a corner turned, play off's are a realism and so is top spot. Lots can happen and top spot has changed hands several times this season already. 16 games left and 48 points to play for, a lot can happen in our favour.

Keep the faith for promotion this season, it's within our grasp.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 52
GrimRob
February 13, 2022, 9:20pm

Posts Per Day: 2.11
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,452
Gold Stars: 114
Hope we're still in with a shout for the last few games. The last few weeks of the season is always the most exciting time when you are interested in other teams results and how they impact on your own prospects.  Ending with a few fairly meaningless games is always a bit flat.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 36 - 52
bradzmilne
February 13, 2022, 9:52pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +40 / -7
Approval: +1,432
Gold Stars: 30
Interestingly, if we avoid defeat on Friday we’ll enter the POs.

Does it mean that much? No.

However, I would much rather be in there than not as we approach the run in. Regardless of games in hand etc.

Sleep well Icey, Matty and Richard. Keep each other company up there xx

4 Relegations in 18 Years - John Fenty’s legacy.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 52
MarinerWY
February 13, 2022, 11:43pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +11 / -5
Approval: +1,991
Gold Stars: 47
Really not sure. Reckon we'll either scrape into them or finish 8th/9th.

If we do scrape into them, it'll be a hell of an ask to get promoted. But regardless, it would give us a lot better end to the season than dud games which don't mean much
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 52
MarinerWY
February 13, 2022, 11:44pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +11 / -5
Approval: +1,991
Gold Stars: 47
Quoted from MarinerWY
Really not sure. Reckon we'll either scrape into them or finish 8th/9th.

I'm here for all your stating of the obvious, btw.
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 52
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Play-offs or not ?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.