Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Can we make the Playoffs? Some stats.
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 151 Guests

Can we make the Playoffs? Some stats.

This thread currently has 16,248 views. Print
11 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Recommend Thread
DaleH
March 14, 2022, 9:00pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.19
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +817
Gold Stars: 168
Yes of course we can make the play offs. Stay positive everyone.

"BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU WISH FOR"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 103
FishOutOfWater
March 23, 2022, 1:10pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.14
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,578
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from DaleH
Yes of course we can make the play offs. Stay positive everyone.

I was thinking along those lines at half nine last night.... today I'm beginning to doubt my "wisdom"

Fingers crossed we can finish the season with a flourish and have a similar haul from the next ten games as we've just had from the previous ten

Seeing the reaction from the players at the end of the game yesterday though, it's going to need a massive injection of self-belief to see us through

As ever though, got to keep the faith...UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 41 - 103
RonMariner
April 4, 2022, 2:58pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,818
Gold Stars: 226
Understandably given Saturdays result there are many looking up the table to see who we might be able to catch.

To start with though, we should prioritise holding on to the play off place we currently occupy. As I see it we have two challengers for that position, Boreham Wood and Bromely.

Boreham have three games in hand are four points behind and have a goal diff 5 worse. They have a pretty tough game on Tuesday against Dagenham who can be quite a handful at home. They also have to play us at BP.  If we were to win that game it would mean that Boreham would have to match our other results and also win their three games in hand to overtake us. A tall order, especially if they drop points tomorrow. So it's in our hand to see them off.

Bromley are 8 points adrift with three games in hand and a goal diff 10 worse. They would have to match our results and also win all three games in hand in order to overtake us. That too looks a stiff target.

In the form we are currently in, 8 wins and 2 draws from the last 12, I don't think either of those two teams can catch us. But how high  might we finish?

We  have  8 game left, five of which we should be strong favourites to win; Maidenhead at Home, and Weymouth, Kings Lynn, Barnet and Eastleigh away.   Wining those would give us 77 points, which on past form would get us well into the playoff zone. The home games against Maidenhead and Boreham Woood are also very winnable. But lets say we have a off day in one of those games, an 80 point haul is far from impossible    Big ask, but that might just get us into the top three.

All speculation, but I have to say I am very confident that we can make the playoffs.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 103
RonMariner
April 4, 2022, 3:12pm

Special Brew Drinker
Boreham have to play Bromley too. So somethings got to give.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 103
lew chaterleys lover
April 4, 2022, 3:16pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,758
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from RonMariner
Understandably given Saturdays result there are many looking up the table to see who we might be able to catch.

To start with though, we should prioritise holding on to the play off place we currently occupy. As I see it we have two challengers for that position, Boreham Wood and Bromely.

Boreham have three games in hand are four points behind and have a goal diff 5 worse. They have a pretty tough game on Tuesday against Dagenham who can be quite a handful at home. They also have to play us at BP.  If we were to win that game it would mean that Boreham would have to match our other results and also win their three games in hand to overtake us. A tall order, especially if they drop points tomorrow. So it's in our hand to see them off.

Bromley are 8 points adrift with three games in hand and a goal diff 10 worse. They would have to match our results and also win all three games in hand in order to overtake us. That too looks a stiff target.

In the form we are currently in, 8 wins and 2 draws from the last 12, I don't think either of those two teams can catch us. But how high  might we finish?

We  have  8 game left, five of which we should be strong favourites to win; Maidenhead at Home, and Weymouth, Kings Lynn, Barnet and Eastleigh away.   Wining those would give us 77 points, which on past form would get us well into the playoff zone. The home games against Maidenhead and Boreham Woood are also very winnable. But lets say we have a off day in one of those games, an 80 point haul is far from impossible    Big ask, but that might just get us into the top three.

All speculation, but I have to say I am very confident that we can make the playoffs.

I agree with all that and of course we are assuming the other playoff teams will continue to have good results but football can and does throw up some surprises. I think a lot of them play each other as well.

I am sure the players will be using the old adage of one game at a time but we obviously have a great chance with the excellent new signings and a nearly fully fit squad.
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 103
immariner
April 4, 2022, 3:31pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +3,414
Gold Stars: 61
Quoted from Maringer

That one, I think. 2nd place then gets the benefit of finishing higher than 3rd place.

If 4th have an off day and 7th win, 3rd would be playing 7th and 2nd could be playing 5th in the semi. With 4th-7th likely to be separated by just a few points i think the benefit this season will be marginal at best
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 103
ginnywings
April 4, 2022, 6:10pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
There are 2 less games this season, so the usual points tally needed to make the top 7 may be slightly lower than the norm.

That may be outweighed a bit by being probably the strongest this league has ever been. If we had this team in our last non league stint, I think we would be top 3 now, so that speaks to how well Hurst has built this squad.

Think it took him (and Shouty) a season and a half to get us at the top end of the league first time around.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 103
RonMariner
April 4, 2022, 6:11pm

Special Brew Drinker
Looking at the latest form, table, Boreham have taken just 4 points from their last 6 games, and Bromley just 2. So it's not looking likely that either are in the form to overtake us.

It may well be that the biggest threat might come from Dagenham. If they do indeed beat Boreham on Tuesday they would be 4 points behind us with the same games played and a broadly comparable goal difference.

Of the teams above us, Chesterfield have taken 6 points from their last 6 games. They are five points ahead, but we have a game in hand. On current form we could catch them.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 103
supertown
April 4, 2022, 6:29pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +25 / -9
Approval: +3,470
Gold Stars: 53
We will make the playoffs, it’s a case of how high we finish
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 103
jamesgtfc
April 4, 2022, 6:45pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,041
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from supertown
We will make the playoffs, it’s a case of how high we finish

We should really be pushing for a home tie in the play-offs because it's not a season ticket game. 7000 tickets at £15 a head is £105k which isn't to be sniffed at.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 103
11 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Can we make the Playoffs? Some stats.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.