barralad
March 22, 2022, 11:10pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.31
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,299
Gold Stars: 127
Quoted from TwoLeftFeet
Couldn't understand taking Smith out of the centre thought he was having a good game partnering with Waterfall..should have dropped Clifton to right back.. letting Sears go and then not replacing him didn't understand it at the time and still don't now..

Clifton played a massive part in everything we did in respect of attacking football. Sad to say I'm not sure any of those on the bench could have stepped into his boots when we needed another goal. I'm also sorry to say that had we moved Clifton to RB (and still lost) it would have been widely perceived as a negative move in certain quarters.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 60
quebec38
March 22, 2022, 11:12pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +6 / -1
Approval: +1,588
Gold Stars: 48
Second best first half, nicked a goal. Came out flying in the second half. Equaliser spun things back around.

Annoyed at the sub obsession comment from Hurst though. They made a sub, he came on, scored two and won the game. Subs can change games, Paul.

FYI I had no problems with the subs today but that comment was stupid.
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 60
HerveJosse
March 22, 2022, 11:14pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,204
Gold Stars: 144
I don’t understand how people can say we were unlucky to lose that game.
First half they were far superior first 5 minutes second half the same
We then play for 30 minutes couple of good efforts no clear cut chances.
They wake substititutions which improve them we don’t .
They dominate last 15 minutes and win .
Fair result.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 60
Zmariner
March 22, 2022, 11:19pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +2,131
Gold Stars: 44
Smith is not a fullback, harry would have been a more solid option for me.
My argument here is that the first half was rubbish and the midfield poor, we are so slow to change. After half time we were better but we do look a drab mid table tream with little real flair.
I heard Croft on the way back and he said we looked like strangers in the first half and it was hard to disagree. Why does Scannell not get a game , where were the new forwards. the favourites always get in.
Also not Crocombe's best game today. On to Saturday but that was a rotten nights football and they looked better on the ball than us.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 60
lew chaterleys lover
March 22, 2022, 11:26pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,761
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from HerveJosse
I don’t understand how people can say we were unlucky to lose that game.
First half they were far superior first 5 minutes second half the same
We then play for 30 minutes couple of good efforts no clear cut chances.
They wake substititutions which improve them we don’t .
They dominate last 15 minutes and win .
Fair result.

They had a lot of possession in the first half and looked a good side but didn't hurt us. We got to grips with them and scored after a lovely move.

Second half our football was sublime and we were unlucky not to put the game to bed but when you don't score when on top it invariably comes back to bite you. That's football. We are certainly playing the best football I have ever seen us play in tier 5, and am certainly more confident in this group of players.

We will have to see whether our brilliant football gets us into the playoffs, but if it doesn't we should just build on this set of players rather than look for wholesale changes.  
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 60
blundellpork
March 22, 2022, 11:33pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +3 / -2
Approval: +1,668
Gold Stars: 32
You need to score when you are on top. We dominated from half time until their equaliser, but just couldn’t get that second goal. Score that and it’s game over.

I’d like to see a replay of their equaliser, but Crocombe seemed slow to get down, and then a poor parry presented a tap in for their striker, who should be credited for following in. A very frustrating end to the game.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 60
Norseman
March 23, 2022, 12:44am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.45
Rep Score: +2 / -4
Approval: +277
Gold Stars: 48
I'm no fan of Hurst .But cannot believe people saying he was negative tonight . Do believe he made a mistake putting Smith right back .He's tried him there before and knows he can't play the position .Should have put Harry there and brought Abraham's on the left .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 60
TheRealJohnLewis
March 23, 2022, 6:34am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Rep Score: +13 / -8
Approval: +2,308
Gold Stars: 39
A really frustrating game from start to finish. A very poor first half where Solihull was the better team. We couldn't seem to string two passes together and were second to most balls. How many times did we fanny about with the ball near our own box and gift them an opportunity?! Clifton started the play and finished for a cracking goal against the run of play.

Second half initially started the same as the first with us sitting back and inviting Solihull to get at us but once we got going and started to attack like a home team it was rather entertaining, yet the decision making near their goal was woeful, with McAtee being the worst culprit. Clifton was open in the box on his own ready for a tap in and was raging with McAtee afterwards. We soon fizzled out and resorted to lumping the ball forward again and created very little and it was obvious that Solihull was going to equalise sooner or later.

JMD was copulated and running through treacle for about 10 minutes before he came off, so should have come off sooner. Taylor was winning a lot of headers when the ball was lumped up to him, but it never went to one of our players so should have come off to mix it up.

Why did Hurst set up to play counter-attack at home and let Solihul control the game?

Summary, didn't take chances, copulated around at the back.
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 60
Les Brechin
March 23, 2022, 6:57am

Posts Per Day: 4.16
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,726
Gold Stars: 174
To put it simply, we were outmanaged last night.

Their manager realised it wasn't working for them 2nd half and brought on that big lad who scored both their goals, whereas Hurst sat on his hands most of the game.

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 60
HertsGTFC
March 23, 2022, 7:49am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.25
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,998
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from Hagrid

That was never gonna happen.

JMD wasnt fit enough for a full 90, so moving clifton to right back would have meant Sousa on, and then noone to replace JMD with as he’d not put Scannell on the bench

It’s also worth noting Clifton is a mid field player and not a full back.

When I saw the midfield selection I thought that would be a good line up when everyone is match fit and has played a few games together.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 60
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.