Hagrid
March 22, 2022, 9:58pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,485
Gold Stars: 536
How did we lose?

Another game against a Play Off Rival in which we shouldnt have lost and somehow did.

First half Solihull impressed, We got the goal against the run of play.
2nd half, we started well, hit the post, missed chances.
Game changed on Efete. Smith isnt a right back. Solihull exploited it, we left a big lump on his own in the box twice and he finished twice.
Should we have changed it? Not sure, JMD was shattered, sousa on was a standard change. PH already getting pelters on twitter- as im Sure PontoonLew is gonna be on here blaming him.

We didnt deserve to lose, bad luck and rank bad defending cost us that. Pure and Simple. End result- we just cant find ways to put games to bed, and its cost us
Logged Offline
Private Message
Chrisblor
March 22, 2022, 10:02pm

Elemér Berkessy
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +53 / -18
Approval: +8,962
Gold Stars: 239
We deserved to lose because we didn't take our chances and they did. If I was Dieseruvwe or Scannell I'd be seething with Hurst. There's no way Taylor or Sousa should have been on the pitch ahead of either of them on current form. He's got his favourites and they've cost us tonight (along with some utterly abject keeping from Crocombe to present them with an equaliser on a plate).

gary jones
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 60
Abdul19
March 22, 2022, 10:04pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,607
Gold Stars: 219
I suppose it could be argued that bad defending and an inability to put the game to bed is exactly why we did deserve to lose. If Efete injury's bad we need a new right back in asap.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 60
Hagrid
March 22, 2022, 10:05pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Chrisblor
We deserved to lose because we didn't take our chances and they did. If I was Dieseruvwe or Scannell I'd be seething with Hurst. There's no way Taylor or Sousa should have been on the pitch ahead of either of them on current form. He's got his favourites and they've cost us tonight (along with some utterly abject keeping from Crocombe to present them with an equaliser on a plate).

Cant disagree about scannell or Mani
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 60
pontoonlew
March 22, 2022, 10:06pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,091
Gold Stars: 178
How long before people accept that our terrible form against decent sides isn’t bad luck, but poor management?

I’ve supported Town for over 20 years and remain convinced there’s not been a manager more frustrating than Hurst. There’s been excrement ones, there’s been 1-2 good ones but there’s definitely not been one as frustrating. He can spot a decent player, build a good cohesive squad etc but why is he so intent on making the same errors every single week? I’ve seen it for years, it’s a constant cycle. Negative approaches to games, good players left out and consistently shite substitutions. The issue now is the fact the teams aren’t as poor as our last visit here and they’re finding him out every week.

Rapidly falling out of love with it all, purely because of its infuriating predictability.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 60
Dave Gilberts Left Peg
March 22, 2022, 10:06pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.49
Rep Score: +2 / -5
Approval: -158
Gold Stars: 78
We deserved that because of hursts negativity. See you Saturday

Only the dead have seen the end of war
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 60
ginnywings
March 22, 2022, 10:10pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from Hagrid
How did we lose?

Another game against a Play Off Rival in which we shouldnt have lost and somehow did.

Game changed on Efete. Smith isnt a right back. Solihull exploited it, we left a big lump on his own in the box twice and he finished twice.
Should we have changed it? Not sure, JMD was shattered, sousa on was a standard change. PH already getting pelters on twitter- as im Sure PontoonLew is gonna be on here blaming him.

We didnt deserve to lose, bad luck and rank bad defending cost us that. Pure and Simple. End result- we just cant find ways to put games to bed, and its cost us

And therein lies the problem. We don't take chances when they present themselves.

Should have won Saturday and we got a draw. Should have got a draw tonight and we lost.

Getting fed up now. Two decades of being either in the league and being mid table at best or relegation fodder at worst, interspersed with visits to non league where we are always on the verge, but never quite good enough.

Another nothing season in a very long and boring stretch of nothing seasons.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 60
mimma
March 22, 2022, 10:14pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,574
The one thing that got me was our crossing. Every cross, or corner was easily taken out by the keeper. They put one good cross in and scored the winner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 60
MuddyWaters
March 22, 2022, 10:26pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,288
Gold Stars: 236
Scannell scores at Yeovil, gets benched for Borehamwood then completely dropped for tonight. Something not right.
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 60
Hagrid
March 22, 2022, 10:28pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from MuddyWaters
Scannell scores at Yeovil, gets benched for Borehamwood then completely dropped for tonight. Something not right.

Yeah very harsh on him.

I still state the game changed on Efete going off- which on reflection losing your right back shouldnt really do that- but JMD was knackered, Smith is not a RB and solihull ran riot on it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 60
barralad
March 22, 2022, 10:34pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.31
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,299
Gold Stars: 127
Don't very often comment on home games as there are loads with far better insight than me but...
It took us a while to get going and although it was a great move with a good finish our goal was against the run of play.
Second half the proper team came out and for 30 minutes we pressed them, picked up no end of second balls and but for some real bad luck-Clifton's post smack and the deflection off JM-Ds goal bound effort we'd have won comfortably.
Agree with Hagrid regarding losing Efete being the game changer. Maguire-Drew was knackered and the combination of the defensively weak Sousa and a (very good) centre back moved to right back gave them all the encouragement needed to exploit the chink in our defensive armour and we were undone. I thought Taylor was very good tonight. He covered an incredible amount of ground but what he decidedly wasn't was a goal threat. Hoolahan made an encouraging start and Amos particularly second half was excellent.
The negative points are clear to see unfortunately. Our set pieces especially corners are absolutely woeful. I counted five on the spin that ended up comfortably in the keepers hands. We must be a goalkeepers dream. Although I praised Clifton and JM-Ds efforts we certainly do not get enough shots away. The over elaborate nature of our build up is very frustrating.
Just heard Crofty on RH saying ,and I paraphrase, that our play-off bid is basically built on a couple of new players who are still finding their feet and a couple more coming back from injury. It's hard to disagree on tonight's showing.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 60
Maringer
March 22, 2022, 10:34pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,674
Gold Stars: 189
This team does have an incredible ability to turn wins into draws and draws into defeats - at least in the games against the 'better' teams in this league. It doesn't matter if we're playing well or indifferently. We miss the chances and then give away soft goals.

A bit tricky tonight given the injury problems as we lost the balance when Efete went off and then Holohan and Clifton were just knackered for the last 25 minutes or so. JMD was doing OK when he was taken off but he was knackered as well. No midfield options available to change things, but I certainly think that McAtee and Taylor could have been hooked with 20 minutes to play. Another one of those games where McAtee didn't really get involved and Taylor was too isolated again. Both showed decent touches on occasion but not very effective for most of the game.

I've been thinking for a while we're only a couple of players away from being a pretty decent side at this level, but we keep signing new players and things don't improve. Ultimately, I don't think it is Hurst's reticence to make changes at the right time (though that has an impact), as much a case as the shape of the team which just isn't working. The amount of space they found in midfield during the first half especially was just embarrassing tonight and what's the point of playing this way if we don't score enough goals and don't keep them out at the other end?

As always, I'll complain that we're still lacking pace as well. They had a few players out there tonight who were faster than all our players until, perhaps, Sousa came on. When you start with a team in which Clifton, a central midfielder-cum-winger is the only one who can shift to any degree, you're not going to force the errors or take advantage of the spaces well enough.

I still have a feeling we'll sneak into the play-offs, but as it stands, it would be a minor miracle if we were to get to the final.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 60
barralad
March 22, 2022, 10:42pm
Mariners Trust
Quoted from pontoonlew
How long before people accept that our terrible form against decent sides isn’t bad luck, but poor management?

I’ve supported Town for over 20 years and remain convinced there’s not been a manager more frustrating than Hurst. There’s been excrement ones, there’s been 1-2 good ones but there’s definitely not been one as frustrating. He can spot a decent player, build a good cohesive squad etc but why is he so intent on making the same errors every single week? I’ve seen it for years, it’s a constant cycle. Negative approaches to games, good players left out and consistently shite substitutions. The issue now is the fact the teams aren’t as poor as our last visit here and they’re finding him out every week.

Rapidly falling out of love with it all, purely because of its infuriating predictability.

I get your frustration but there was absolutely nothing negative about the way we set up tonight. We had full backs who were comfortable going forward and a midfield that harried and pressed high up the pitch. Some of the attacking football played in the second half was right up there amongst the best we've played all season.
You're probably not on your own with your school of thought. There were loads in the Pontoon bemoaning Hurst's "late" substitutions but he took JM-D off with plenty of time to go.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 60
TwoLeftFeet
March 22, 2022, 10:49pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +2,102
Gold Stars: 19
Couldn't understand taking Smith out of the centre thought he was having a good game partnering with Waterfall..should have dropped Clifton to right back.. letting Sears go and then not replacing him didn't understand it at the time and still don't now..
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 60
Hagrid
March 22, 2022, 10:50pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from TwoLeftFeet
Couldn't understand taking Smith out of the centre thought he was having a good game partnering with Waterfall..should have dropped Clifton to right back.. letting Sears go and then not replacing him didn't understand it at the time and still don't now..

That was never gonna happen.

JMD wasnt fit enough for a full 90, so moving clifton to right back would have meant Sousa on, and then noone to replace JMD with as he’d not put Scannell on the bench
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 60
jamesgtfc
March 22, 2022, 10:53pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,041
Gold Stars: 190
Credit to Solihull for exploiting our weakness after the injury to Efete. Desperately short on numbers at the back now and feel for Smith because he played well at CB.

Second goal looked like a free header but I suppose they all are when the striker is 6ft9. What frustrated me most about the winner though was that it was something we don't do enough. We are too slow so don't get to hit good teams on the break. Keepers first thought after getting the ball from our attack was to throw it wide and start a counter-attack.

Weird game. I was certain there was going to be a sending off in the second half based on the first half but Solihull calmed right down. More than enough chances to win the game and I think JMD should have had a penalty. We've got to be more clinical because at 2-0 I think we would have comfortably seen that game out.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 60
ginnywings
March 22, 2022, 10:54pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from Hagrid

JMD wasnt fit enough for a full 90, so moving clifton to right back would have meant Sousa on, and then noone to replace JMD with as he’d not put Scannell on the bench

Which highlights how tinpot this league is in only allowing 5 on the bench.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 60
bobbyturtle
March 22, 2022, 10:58pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.76
Rep Score: +29 / -4
Approval: +954
Gold Stars: 18
Quoted from Hagrid

abrahams

Icenian Prediction League 2015 (Game 2) winner
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 60
Hagrid
March 22, 2022, 11:01pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from bobbyturtle

abrahams

He isnt a winger.

And then we’d just chuck square pegs in round holes at PH.

For what its worth Manni or Abrahams should have been on for Taylor with at least 20 to go
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 60
lew chaterleys lover
March 22, 2022, 11:06pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,761
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from Hagrid
How did we lose?

A good summary.  No matter what some people might say we deserved to win that game, like we did against Halifax Chesterfield and Notts.

The injury and JMD having to be taken off cos he was flagging cost us the game.

My only criticism is not putting teams to the sword when well on top.

It's still all to play for and I hope we get a bit more luck against an in form Dagenham at the weekend.
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 60
barralad
March 22, 2022, 11:10pm
Mariners Trust
Quoted from TwoLeftFeet

Clifton played a massive part in everything we did in respect of attacking football. Sad to say I'm not sure any of those on the bench could have stepped into his boots when we needed another goal. I'm also sorry to say that had we moved Clifton to RB (and still lost) it would have been widely perceived as a negative move in certain quarters.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 60
quebec38
March 22, 2022, 11:12pm
Snakebite drinker
Rep Score: +6 / -1
Approval: +1,588
Gold Stars: 48
Second best first half, nicked a goal. Came out flying in the second half. Equaliser spun things back around.

Annoyed at the sub obsession comment from Hurst though. They made a sub, he came on, scored two and won the game. Subs can change games, Paul.

FYI I had no problems with the subs today but that comment was stupid.
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 60
HerveJosse
March 22, 2022, 11:14pm
Champagne Drinker
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,204
Gold Stars: 144
I don’t understand how people can say we were unlucky to lose that game.
First half they were far superior first 5 minutes second half the same
We then play for 30 minutes couple of good efforts no clear cut chances.
They wake substititutions which improve them we don’t .
They dominate last 15 minutes and win .
Fair result.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 60
Zmariner
March 22, 2022, 11:19pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +2,131
Gold Stars: 44
Smith is not a fullback, harry would have been a more solid option for me.
My argument here is that the first half was rubbish and the midfield poor, we are so slow to change. After half time we were better but we do look a drab mid table tream with little real flair.
I heard Croft on the way back and he said we looked like strangers in the first half and it was hard to disagree. Why does Scannell not get a game , where were the new forwards. the favourites always get in.
Also not Crocombe's best game today. On to Saturday but that was a rotten nights football and they looked better on the ball than us.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 60
lew chaterleys lover
March 22, 2022, 11:26pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from HerveJosse
I don’t understand how people can say we were unlucky to lose that game.
First half they were far superior first 5 minutes second half the same
We then play for 30 minutes couple of good efforts no clear cut chances.
They wake substititutions which improve them we don’t .
They dominate last 15 minutes and win .
Fair result.

They had a lot of possession in the first half and looked a good side but didn't hurt us. We got to grips with them and scored after a lovely move.

Second half our football was sublime and we were unlucky not to put the game to bed but when you don't score when on top it invariably comes back to bite you. That's football. We are certainly playing the best football I have ever seen us play in tier 5, and am certainly more confident in this group of players.

We will have to see whether our brilliant football gets us into the playoffs, but if it doesn't we should just build on this set of players rather than look for wholesale changes.  
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 60
blundellpork
March 22, 2022, 11:33pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +3 / -2
Approval: +1,668
Gold Stars: 32
You need to score when you are on top. We dominated from half time until their equaliser, but just couldn’t get that second goal. Score that and it’s game over.

I’d like to see a replay of their equaliser, but Crocombe seemed slow to get down, and then a poor parry presented a tap in for their striker, who should be credited for following in. A very frustrating end to the game.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 60
Norseman
March 23, 2022, 12:44am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.45
Rep Score: +2 / -4
Approval: +277
I'm no fan of Hurst .But cannot believe people saying he was negative tonight . Do believe he made a mistake putting Smith right back .He's tried him there before and knows he can't play the position .Should have put Harry there and brought Abraham's on the left .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 60
TheRealJohnLewis
March 23, 2022, 6:34am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Rep Score: +13 / -8
Approval: +2,308
Gold Stars: 39
A really frustrating game from start to finish. A very poor first half where Solihull was the better team. We couldn't seem to string two passes together and were second to most balls. How many times did we fanny about with the ball near our own box and gift them an opportunity?! Clifton started the play and finished for a cracking goal against the run of play.

Second half initially started the same as the first with us sitting back and inviting Solihull to get at us but once we got going and started to attack like a home team it was rather entertaining, yet the decision making near their goal was woeful, with McAtee being the worst culprit. Clifton was open in the box on his own ready for a tap in and was raging with McAtee afterwards. We soon fizzled out and resorted to lumping the ball forward again and created very little and it was obvious that Solihull was going to equalise sooner or later.

JMD was copulated and running through treacle for about 10 minutes before he came off, so should have come off sooner. Taylor was winning a lot of headers when the ball was lumped up to him, but it never went to one of our players so should have come off to mix it up.

Why did Hurst set up to play counter-attack at home and let Solihul control the game?

Summary, didn't take chances, copulated around at the back.
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 60
Les Brechin
March 23, 2022, 6:57am

Posts Per Day: 4.16
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,725
Gold Stars: 174
To put it simply, we were outmanaged last night.

Their manager realised it wasn't working for them 2nd half and brought on that big lad who scored both their goals, whereas Hurst sat on his hands most of the game.

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 60
HertsGTFC
March 23, 2022, 7:49am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.25
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,997
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from Hagrid

It’s also worth noting Clifton is a mid field player and not a full back.

When I saw the midfield selection I thought that would be a good line up when everyone is match fit and has played a few games together.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 60
GollyGTFC
March 23, 2022, 8:11am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +6,057
Gold Stars: 358
Solihull’s 2 goals give us a great insight into why we won’t get promoted this season. And I’m not talking about dodgy defending or failure to react to the second ball, although both are areas of weakness for us all over the pitch.

The Solihull substitute striker was in the penalty area when the crosses came into the penalty area and scored twice. Did Taylor have a single shot in the entire 90 minutes?

We play 1 striker and he spends most of his time moving wide and linking the play and as a consequence when we do get balls into the area he’s general not there to benefit and if the winger on the opposite side hasn’t busted a gut to get into the area (like Clifton did for his goal) it’s very, very easy for our opposition to defend against.

It’s very simple. If you play 1 striker he has to play within the width of the penalty area only. McAtee should be the one who drifts all over the pitch and links play up. Taylor (or whoever) should be largely waiting for service within the penalty area.

If the strikers not in the box we might as well dispense with a striker and just have McAtee play as a “false 9” and play an extra central midfielder as we are constantly coming up against teams that overnumber us in midfield like the first half last night.

We’re not going to get promoted with the current set-up. We might well finish 4th to 7th and get into the PO Quarter-Finals but I don’t think there’s any evidence we are good enough to get through 3 matches against decent opposition. Our results against teams in the top 10 speaks for itself…

P 14 W 2 D 3 L 9 Pts 9 (0.64 PPG) GD -9 (-0.64 per Game)

Against teams places 11th & lower…

P 20 W 15 D 2 L 3 Pts 47 (2.35 PPG) GD +25 (+1.25 per Game)

Statistics pointing to us being the 10th best team in this league.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 30 - 60
golfer
March 23, 2022, 8:14am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.29
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,450
Gold Stars: 118
Quoted from blundellpork
You need to score when you are on top. We dominated from half time until their equaliser, but just couldn’t get that second goal. Score that and it’s game over.

I’d like to see a replay of their equaliser, but Crocombe seemed slow to get down, and then a poor parry presented a tap in for their striker, who should be credited for following in. A very frustrating end to the game.

If it had been Macca in goal and made those mistakes everybody would have been shouting to drop him. Crocombe better at high crosses but he has been making quite a few mistakes of late - nearly gave another away with his dribbling
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 60
MuddyWaters
March 23, 2022, 8:18am
Barley Wine Drinker
Whatever anyone thinks of McAtee (personally think he's a great player at this level), he's off the pace at present. His first thought is to take players on which, whilst not a bad thing, can slow down attacks particularly if he's got runners going off him. It happened time and again last night and the only time we got behind them we scored.

Earlier in the season, he was passing more than he is now. Just an observation.
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 60
Hagrid
March 23, 2022, 8:23am

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from MuddyWaters
Whatever anyone thinks of McAtee (personally think he's a great player at this level), he's off the pace at present. His first thought is to take players on which, whilst not a bad thing, can slow down attacks particularly if he's got runners going off him. It happened time and again last night and the only time we got behind them we scored.

I completely agree. Me and the old man said the same last night
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 60
GollyGTFC
March 23, 2022, 8:24am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +6,057
Gold Stars: 358
Quoted from MuddyWaters

He has to drop too deep to get the ball and generally receives it with his back to goal. We have consistently failed to get him the ball further up the pitch and facing goal all season. If Hurst works that conundrum out he’d score 25 goals a season easily at this level.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 34 - 60
MuddyWaters
March 23, 2022, 9:18am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from GollyGTFC

He has to drop too deep to get the ball and generally receives it with his back to goal. We have consistently failed to get him the ball further up the pitch and facing goal all season. If Hurst works that conundrum out he’d score 25 goals a season easily at this level.

And, on first impressions, I think Holohan will help in that regard. Burgess, less so.
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 60
Hagrid
March 23, 2022, 9:23am

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from MuddyWaters

And, on first impressions, I think Holohan will help in that regard. Burgess, less so.

Im not at all convinced on burgess
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 60
golfer
March 23, 2022, 9:26am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.29
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,450
Gold Stars: 118
Quoted from GollyGTFC

Our midfield seemed better earlier in the season which allowed Mcatee and Sousa to link up well. I know injuries have forced limitations on our midfield but don't feel Burgess is the answer especially now that Clifton is having to play as an attacker,winger and defender - his mileage must be higher than anybody    
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 60
HertsGTFC
March 23, 2022, 9:44am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.25
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,997
Gold Stars: 228
Re the midfield when Fox is fit and plays we’ve generally looked more cohesive and the opposition have found it harder to pull our players out of position.

When we came up in 2016 there where 2 factors, one being we had 2 strikers scoring on a regular basis the other, when we added Nolan we brought quality & balance to the midfield. It feels like Hurst is trying to do the same again, it feels a long way from completion though.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 60
quebec38
March 23, 2022, 9:52am
Snakebite drinker
Quoted from GollyGTFC

P 14 W 2 D 3 L 9 Pts 9 (0.64 PPG) GD -9 (-0.64 per Game).

This is the issue for me. These are the teams we are competing against, not the likes of Yeovil or Alrincham. Nobody can look at these numbers and say we aren’t badly underperforming.
Hurst was given one of the best budgets in the league at the start of the season. Not my words but those of Stockwood. He is also able to go out and get new players pretty much whenever he likes, whether forced or not. Midfielders keep coming in and breaking - not Hurst’s fault, but he’s allowed to go out and find another. Signing a Holohan or JMD as and when, a luxury a lot of other managers don’t have.
We have good players, I’m absolutely certain of that. We don’t get the best from them though. We don’t get hammered by the better sides but in 12 out of 14 games, we haven’t been the winning side. I think that’s a big enough sample now to be looking at and saying it’s not good enough.
I don’t think Solihull have a better 11 than us but look at how they played last night. We got the lead and were well on top for 30 minutes in the second half but for the other hour they played us off the pitch.
Been saying it for months, the coaching isn’t good enough. Forget that we moved a centre half to full back last night. We didn’t have specialised cover on the bench -sometimes excrement happens. There is a bigger problem here.
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 60
diehardmariner
March 23, 2022, 12:13pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,706
Gold Stars: 543
Not a lot to add really, well summed up by the vast majority there.

But Holohan looks an absolute player.  I think when he's fully fit he could be a major force for us.
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 60
oochiad
March 23, 2022, 12:18pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.62
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +3,724
Gold Stars: 28
We seem to building a very good team for next season with still the chance to make the playoffs this season. I’m still not giving up on that……
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 60
lew chaterleys lover
March 23, 2022, 1:24pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from quebec38

This is the issue for me. These are the teams we are competing against, not the likes of Yeovil or Alrincham. Nobody can look at these numbers and say we aren’t badly underperforming.
Hurst was given one of the best budgets in the league at the start of the season. Not my words but those of Stockwood. He is also able to go out and get new players pretty much whenever he likes, whether forced or not. Midfielders keep coming in and breaking - not Hurst’s fault, but he’s allowed to go out and find another. Signing a Holohan or JMD as and when, a luxury a lot of other managers don’t have.
We have good players, I’m absolutely certain of that. We don’t get the best from them though. We don’t get hammered by the better sides but in 12 out of 14 games, we haven’t been the winning side. I think that’s a big enough sample now to be looking at and saying it’s not good enough.
I don’t think Solihull have a better 11 than us but look at how they played last night. We got the lead and were well on top for 30 minutes in the second half but for the other hour they played us off the pitch.
Been saying it for months, the coaching isn’t good enough. Forget that we moved a centre half to full back last night. We didn’t have specialised cover on the bench -sometimes excrement happens. There is a bigger problem here.

Winning is obviously the number one priority and those stats are indeed bad.

However I also think they are misleading and only paint part of the picture.

I think we have been unlucky this season to be perfectly honest. You make your own luck blah blah but we were better than Notts, Chesterfield and Halfax and yet only picked up one point in those home games. We were worth a draw at Halifax and some say at Wrexham. I thought we deserved the 3 points last night as well.

All the games have been very tight and could have gone either way so just looking at stats and saying we haven't been good enough is a bit disrespectful I think.

If we could go back in time and signed Thismanga or similar I think those stats would be different but whatever happens this season I expect a proven goalscorer to be signed for next season.

We are not far away and play some great football so I hope we build on that as time goes on.
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 60
FishOutOfWater
March 23, 2022, 2:03pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.14
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,578
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from Hagrid
How did we lose?

Agree with most of that apart from the "big lump" remark

I thought when we saw him coming on that he could be their last roll of the dice, going long and hoping his physicality would swing the balance back their way ( especially as our defence had to reconfigured)

To be fair to their goalscorer though, he's got a pretty impressive record

https://www.solihullmoorsfc.co.uk/teams/first-team/players/kyle-hudlin/

So while I'm as disappointed as anyone how it panned out towards the end, it could be viewed that his introduction was some kind of master stroke by Neil Ardley

He was certainly a game changer and totally different to any option we might have had

Onwards and upwards ( hopefully! )

UTM GTID
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 43 - 60
Abdul19
March 23, 2022, 2:18pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,607
Gold Stars: 219
Was also a great cross in for their winner, unlike our load of floaty backpasses.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 60
mariners1
March 23, 2022, 2:58pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +201
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from Abdul19
Was also a great cross in for their winner, unlike our load of floaty backpasses.

I was at that end in the lower Findus and we had two players out with him and burgess should have closed down much tighter and cut out the cross. No question about that, very unimpressed with that lad throughout I’m afraid
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 60
quebec38
March 23, 2022, 3:01pm
Snakebite drinker

Winning is obviously the number one priority and those stats are indeed bad.

However I also think they are misleading and only paint part of the picture.

I think we have been unlucky this season to be perfectly honest. You make your own luck blah blah but we were better than Notts, Chesterfield and Halfax and yet only picked up one point in those home games. We were worth a draw at Halifax and some say at Wrexham. I thought we deserved the 3 points last night as well.

All the games have been very tight and could have gone either way so just looking at stats and saying we haven't been good enough is a bit disrespectful I think.

If we could go back in time and signed Thismanga or similar I think those stats would be different but whatever happens this season I expect a proven goalscorer to be signed for next season.

We are not far away and play some great football so I hope we build on that as time goes on.

Totally agree with all of that and I definitely wasn’t trying to be disrespectful. I think we have been good at times and we have pretty much smashed the bottom half of the table, result-wise at the very least. We have had the odd slip but pretty much have a record as good as anyone.
We do struggle to get the results in the tougher games though. I think 2 wins in 14 is too much to ignore when you take in to account budget and resources? I don’t think 1 win in 7 against our rivals is anywhere near good enough, whether we have been competitive in the games or not.
We seemingly need something extra and I don’t think the only option is a 250K striker. Only 3 sides in the division have those types of players - Stockport, Chesterfield and Wrexham.
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 60
DaleH
March 23, 2022, 3:22pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.19
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +817
Gold Stars: 168
I would say that Solihull were the best team I have seen us play this season.

I felt we lived a very charmed life to go in 1 nil at half time, because it was against the run of play in the first half. A first half that showed them to be very attack minded, a team that could keep possession and move the ball quickly, are extremely good passers of the ball over short and longer distances, and looked to play forward quickly and/or counter quickly at every opportunity. There were really quite exciting to watch (unfortunately).

We've nicked a goal just before half time. A really well worked goal I might add, but still one of those situations where you wondered how you had gone it at half time 1 nil up.

Started the second half brightly, but failed to take advantage of any opportunities and a bit of poor decision making in and around the box to capitalise and extend the lead. JMD had time to ensure that he at least hit the target, but rushed slightly and snatched his shot, which went high and wide. You've got to at least hit the target with that. JM made some poor decisions in the box on when to shoot or when to give it. The one that came off the post had no forwards quick enough to get on the rebound.

After a bright start to the second half, their manager made some astute tactical changes, which switched them back onto the front foot, and they grew back into the game and started to control things again. The big fella up front looked a threat at all times, and did exactly what he was introduced to do.

A disappointing night, but very impressed with them.

To me, it always looked like we had two centre midfield players that weren't used to each other, or the team. Quite a big call putting them both in together after such a short time. I think I would have gone with Coke + one other

"BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU WISH FOR"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 60
arryarryarry
March 23, 2022, 6:06pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,043
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from Abdul19

It was an OK cross, the thing that beat us was Waterfall in La La Land again not marking him properly.
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 60
ginnywings
March 23, 2022, 6:28pm

Recovering Alcoholic
We had 30 mins of the game and they had 60, so we can't really complain at losing 2-1. I thought they were as good as anyone seen at BP this season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 60
forza ivano
March 23, 2022, 6:45pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,282
Gold Stars: 266
Quoted from Hagrid

Im not at all convinced on burgess

neither am i . he's all a bit anonymous, a bit meh. A bit Berrett like.
Am still not convinced by Crocombe - am sure we can do better once Macca is off the wage bill
thought we did play some really good stuff, but only for 20 ,30 mins. they played some good stuff for 40-50 mins and some effective stuff for 15-20.
we don't play well enough for long enough, we don't create enough chances, we don't take our chances an our inability to take points against the top half all explain our position
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 60
toontown
March 24, 2022, 12:07am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,274
Gold Stars: 70
Burgess is simply too anonymous for me as well. Not the answer in CM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 60
March 24, 2022, 1:38am
Guest User
Quoted from toontown
Burgess is simply too anonymous for me as well. Not the answer in CM

We have the answer but he's injured (Ben Fox).

Am clinging to the hope that Fox and Holohan in CM will (a) get us into the play-offs and (b) allow McAtee to play further forward and score
us the goals to get us promoted.
Reply: 52 - 60
out of town
March 24, 2022, 5:56pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.40
Rep Score: +0 / -2
Approval: +717
Gold Stars: 10
Quoted from 137

Am clinging to the hope that Fox and Holohan in CM will (a) get us into the play-offs and (b) allow McAtee to play further forward and score

Fox is a big miss. How long is he out for?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 60
MuddyWaters
March 24, 2022, 6:34pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from 137

Raikhy and Holohan would excite me even more if we get to the playoffs.
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 60
Oly1987
March 24, 2022, 10:50pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,228
Gold Stars: 22
I honestly can't believe how we left with 0 points. Nicked the opener in what was a fairly even contest first half. Second half up until the Efete injury we were playing some lovely stuff, had loads of possession moved the ball forward and was unlucky not to double our lead. Efetes injury really changed it for us and they exploited it.

On a side note their lad up front was HUGE. Commented to my grandad saying why had we put a small guy on him only to realise it was Pearson marking him!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 60
Poojah
March 25, 2022, 2:25pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,767
Gold Stars: 1,509
Quoted from Oly1987
I honestly can't believe how we left with 0 points. Nicked the opener in what was a fairly even contest first half. Second half up until the Efete injury we were playing some lovely stuff, had loads of possession moved the ball forward and was unlucky not to double our lead. Efetes injury really changed it for us and they exploited it.

On a side note their lad up front was HUGE. Commented to my grandad saying why had we put a small guy on him only to realise it was Pearson marking him!

6ft 9”. ‘kinell.

[img]https://www.thesun.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2021/01/NINTCHDBPICT000630128111.jpg[/img]

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/13722764/kyle-hudlin-britain-tallest-footballers-premier-league/

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 60
Maringer
March 25, 2022, 2:35pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,674
Gold Stars: 189
In spite of the comical look of him in comparison to the other player, the lad took his two goals well, unfortunately. First one was a relatively easy tap-in following Crocombe's weak parry (long legs helped!) but he stuck the header away effectively. Their right winger caused us problems all game so not surprised he put in a good cross for the winning goal.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 60
mimma
March 25, 2022, 2:43pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,574
Compare the high crosses we put in all game that the keeper just plucked out of the air unchallenged
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 60
ska face
March 25, 2022, 2:48pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,780
Gold Stars: 851
I’ve caned McKeown all season so in the interests of fairness, that parry for the first is absolute junk.
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 60
NorthseaMariner
March 25, 2022, 3:39pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.19
Rep Score: +7 / 0
Approval: +1,523
Gold Stars: 11
Yes, I have thought Crocombe was a good competent keeper, but for some reason the other night he looked dodgy all night. I don’t know why though.
He wasn’t doing anything right all night. I hope he’s back to his normal self tomorrow.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 60
7 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.