6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
TownSNAFU5
April 5, 2022, 9:45pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,907
Gold Stars: 42
Kings Lynn won.  Could escape now.  Don’t want them having any incentive to beat us.

If Carlsberg did results for us tonight.............
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 51
ginnywings
April 5, 2022, 9:48pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,154
Gold Stars: 548
Well that couldn't have gone much better. Clear light between us and Dagenham now and Bromley are now 8 behind us with only 2 games in hand.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 51
Grimal
April 5, 2022, 9:52pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,876
Gold Stars: 9
Wrexham had 6 different goal scorers in their 6 -0  demolition of Barnet.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 51
acko338
April 5, 2022, 10:18pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +44 / -6
Approval: +3,210
Gold Stars: 33
Some similar results in the next 2 weeks would help, but it is still up to Town to keep the winning streak going to put pressure on the rivals around us.

The Easter period could either make or break us in the top 7 places. Tough games against opponents for different reasons on their parts.

Don't forget how the travelling fans are being the vocal 12th man - you can see and hear what this support gives the players !!

Brilliant - well done to all those fans !!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 51
Hagrid
April 5, 2022, 10:21pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,488
Gold Stars: 537
Boreham Woods next 2, Aldershot Away and Dover at home

You’d have to think they’d take 6 points
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 51
Poojah
April 5, 2022, 10:49pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,778
Gold Stars: 1,515
I have to say, that's an absolutely marvellous set of results for us tonight. Wrexham, I don't and won't care about until such a time we have to face them in the play-offs. As for the rest of them, it's as close to a perfect storm as you could have hoped for and I stand back from my earlier position than a Dagenham win would have been better for us.

With Bromley losing, and Daggers only picking up a point, it massively simplifies things. Dagenham are now 6 points behind us with an inferior goal difference, having played the same amount of games - they only way they finish ahead of us now if we completely balls it up ourselves, and I don't believe we will.

After Bromley's unexpected defeat at Kings Lynn, they have two games in hand but remain 8 points and 11 goals worse off in terms of GD. They also haven't won in the league in their last 9 - that was the 25th January. With one eye on their Wembley final against Wrexham, they're toast. Not catching us.

In effect then, it becomes a 4 horse race for the final 3 play-off places, between Chesterfield, Notts County, Town and Boreham Wood. Forget Notts County, their run-in is literally too easy to fúck up - they could play me in goal for their last 8 games and still not lose a game.

So really, it's 2 from 3. Chesterfield are the curve ball - they should have been challenging for the title, not the play-offs, but they are where they are. They've won only 3 in 11 under Paul Cook, losing 4 - that's an average of just a smidge over a point per game. Bottom half form. We're 5 points behind but with a game in hand, and thanks to Saturday's result, in relative touching distance on goal difference. Kabongo who? They need to buck their ideas up, and fast.

So then that leaves Boreham Wood. Now 3 points and 5 goals behind on GD, but with 2 games extra to play. Of those 10 though, they've got Bromley (H - 10th), Southend (A - 13th), Stockport (A - 1st), Wrexham (H - 2nd), Yeovil (A - 11th), Town (A - 7th) and Solihull (H - 4th). 7 out of 10 games against the top 13 (and 4 of them away) is statistically unlikely, and not a nice way to end your season - especially when you're potentially exhausted and out of form. They haven't won in 7 league games since they lost to Everton on the 3rd March - drawing 3 and losing 4. They weren't in stellar form before that; they're going to have a hard time making the cut in my opinion.

What's the takeaway from this? Town have done brilliantly well to bring themselves back into serious play-off contention from where we were a few weeks ago, but at the same time many of those around us have handed us the opportunity on a plate. 7th or above looks eminently doable from here - avoid any silly results (and I don't include a defeat to Stockport in that - that's a free hit for me) and a play-off berth is ours.

100%.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 51
Swansea_Mariner
April 5, 2022, 10:53pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,473
Gold Stars: 63
Could Wrexham catch Stockport they have an easier run in?

And who out of the two do people think would be the more difficult opponent.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 51
Marinerdeano
April 5, 2022, 11:10pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +467
Gold Stars: 27
Quoted from Swansea_Mariner

I actually think they can and it would be potentially good news and a kick in the teeth to Stockport.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 51
jamesgtfc
April 5, 2022, 11:17pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,041
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from Swansea_Mariner

I actually think we will beat Stockport. They've only drawn 4 games all season but if they get a couple of draws with Wrexham winning it's twitchy bum time for them.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 51
jamesgtfc
April 5, 2022, 11:19pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,041
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from Poojah
I have to say, that's an absolutely marvellous set of results for us tonight. Wrexham, I don't and won't care about until such a time we have to face them in the play-offs. As for the rest of them, it's as close to a perfect storm as you could have hoped for and I stand back from my earlier position than a Dagenham win would have been better for us.

With Bromley losing, and Daggers only picking up a point, it massively simplifies things. Dagenham are now 6 points behind us with an inferior goal difference, having played the same amount of games - they only way they finish ahead of us now if we completely balls it up ourselves, and I don't believe we will.

After Bromley's unexpected defeat at Kings Lynn, they have two games in hand but remain 8 points and 11 goals worse off in terms of GD. They also haven't won in the league in their last 9 - that was the 25th January. With one eye on their Wembley final against Wrexham, they're toast. Not catching us.

In effect then, it becomes a 4 horse race for the final 3 play-off places, between Chesterfield, Notts County, Town and Boreham Wood. Forget Notts County, their run-in is literally too easy to fúck up - they could play me in goal for their last 8 games and still not lose a game.

So really, it's 2 from 3. Chesterfield are the curve ball - they should have been challenging for the title, not the play-offs, but they are where they are. They've won only 3 in 11 under Paul Cook, losing 4 - that's an average of just a smidge over a point per game. Bottom half form. We're 5 points behind but with a game in hand, and thanks to Saturday's result, in relative touching distance on goal difference. Kabongo who? They need to buck their ideas up, and fast.

So then that leaves Boreham Wood. Now 3 points and 5 goals behind on GD, but with 2 games extra to play. Of those 10 though, they've got Bromley (H - 10th), Southend (A - 13th), Stockport (A - 1st), Wrexham (H - 2nd), Yeovil (A - 11th), Town (A - 7th) and Solihull (H - 4th). 7 out of 10 games against the top 13 (and 4 of them away) is statistically unlikely, and not a nice way to end your season - especially when you're potentially exhausted and out of form. They haven't won in 7 league games since they lost to Everton on the 3rd March - drawing 3 and losing 4. They weren't in stellar form before that; they're going to have a hard time making the cut in my opinion.

What's the takeaway from this? Town have done brilliantly well to bring themselves back into serious play-off contention from where we were a few weeks ago, but at the same time many of those around us have handed us the opportunity on a plate. 7th or above looks eminently doable from here - avoid any silly results (and I don't include a defeat to Stockport in that - that's a free hit for me) and a play-off berth is ours.

100%.

Great analysis as always. Looks like King's Lynn might be making a good go of staying up though which might make Easter Monday a bit trickier than we hoped.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 51
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Tonight's games / scores

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.