Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back  (merged)
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 150 Guests

Just Back  (merged)

This thread currently has 9,555 views. Print
8 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
forza ivano
April 9, 2022, 6:21pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,282
Gold Stars: 266
at the b&b. There's 2 hours of my life i will never get back.Thank God it was warm n sunny. Summed up by the fact that watching the Grand National in their pleasant bar was the most exciting thing that happened all afternoon
First half was probably the worst 45 minutes of footie I've watched all season.We improved 2nd half and had a number of chances/half chances which were snuffed out by determined defending.They had very few chances, but did hit the post and were aided by Crocombe having several dodgy moments. Our main threat , until manny and Scannell came on, were from Cropper's long throws.
Clifton and JMD had truly awful games ,whilst McAtee was at his stroppy worst, blaming everyone else, whilst he wasn't doing an awful lot of good himself.
Waterfall just edged Smith as MOTM ,but it was a struggle to pick anyone who had  a good game, in what looked for long periods like a pre season friendly.
shame that we won't be back next year coz its a lovely little town and their a nice friendly club, but that's the only reason this visit will be remembered!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Hagrid
April 9, 2022, 6:28pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,487
Gold Stars: 536
Thats the one side of Mcatee i dont like, in games like this the whole team has to dig in.

Safe trip home to all fans
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 73
lukeo
April 9, 2022, 6:31pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,405
Gold Stars: 149
Noone stepped up today for me. Manny did well when he came on.
Their centre back was very good. Cleared one off the line and made a couple of important blocks.
Mcatee for most parts body language wasn't right and except for a few small patches wasn't his usual self. Maguire drew for me was very poor, alot of hospital passes. We had nothing out wide even though we constantly tried to go from left to right out wide etc. Overall a fulll game which they hit the post and wasted a free header in the 90th minute. Felt they set up today to frustrate us and packed out the middle of the park to make us play the way we did.
I guess in the circumstances (Borehamwood and Notts both losing) we have to try be positive and say its a point more than our rivals got.

MOTM pfft. Difficult to say. Probably Waterfall.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 73
aldi_01
April 9, 2022, 6:55pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Quoted from Hagrid
Thats the one side of Mcatee i dont like, in games like this the whole team has to dig in.

Safe trip home to all fans

You’re not allowed to say this, people don’t like honesty…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 73
jamesgtfc
April 9, 2022, 6:56pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,041
Gold Stars: 190
In some ways games like this are harder. We will probably give Stockport a good game and follow it up with a point or none against King's Lynn.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 73
barralad
April 9, 2022, 7:03pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.31
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,299
Gold Stars: 127
Surprised no one has beaten me to it so here goes.
I feared the worst when the taxi driver who took me from the station to the ground reckoned that given the almost certainty that Weymouth were going down their players had effectively given up with some of them already on their holidays. Too many times over the years of non-league matches we've seen teams raise their game against us. We should have won.....convincingly. That we didn't can be put down to three things as far as I could see.
1. Weymouth's willingness to put their bodies on the line. I lost count at the number of last minute blocks or tackles- particularly late on.
2. Some bad luck-shots deflected to safety etc.
3. And most importantly for me the failure of certain players to execute their part in what was perhaps the clearest game plan I've seen for a long while. Rarely this season if at all has a Town team made so much use of width. We now have players who can consistently cross the ball well, be it in the air or low inviting the likes of Taylor to get in front of their marker at the near post. Sadly, too many times particularly in the second half, where we had no-one prepared to gamble in the box and nick a goal. The fact that three of our best chances fell to Smith (2) and the irrepressible Waterfall tells a story. Defensively we were pretty decent apart from one aberration on the part of Crocombe where he inexplicably passed to an opponent who to be fair was so surprised he didn't make the best of it and a free kick which thumped Crocombes left hand post.
Midfield got through some sterling work-our command of that area was unchallenged and some of the passing was exquisite.
There was an interesting 20 minutes or so from Manny D who proved a real handful. The only time their keeper dropped the ball Manny was there but his goal bound effort struck a defender on the line.
Scannell did some good work with some excellent crosses at a time when the efforts of some Weymouth players had left them barely able to stand.
Six minutes of time added on simply prolonged the agony.
In my view 2 points definitely lost but it would take a special sort of awkwardness to be disappointed with four points from the last two games.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 73
TheRealJohnLewis
April 9, 2022, 7:05pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Rep Score: +13 / -8
Approval: +2,308
Gold Stars: 39
Fair play to Weymouth they had a game plan to shut us down and it worked. No one had a bad game, with Clifton being the most attacking player today and my MoM.

Just wasn't to be, move on to the next game.
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 73
barralad
April 9, 2022, 7:05pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.31
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,299
Gold Stars: 127
Admin. Please merge

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 73
wuffing
April 9, 2022, 7:07pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.40
Rep Score: +7 / -1
Approval: +851
Gold Stars: 40
After the Lord Mayor's show at Chesterfield comes the Charles Dickens novel Great Expectations for Weymouth.
We go from playing in front of an almost 8000 atmospheric electric, wall of noise crowd in a very good stadium to 1200 in a tidy but very non-league ground. However hard the players try, it must be more difficult to replicate a performance in such differering circumstances. No excuses just a fact of life.
Anyway, we get a point and a firm reminder of things just before the succulent Good Friday game against Stockpot. Yummmmmeeeeeee.

'I walked in the dressing room. The window was open and I thought that a sea fret had got in. Then I saw smoke billowing from a pipe in the corner of the room...it was my centre-forward. He looked seven stone wet through. He went on to score thirty-odd goals that season.' Lawrie McMenemy on encountering the legend that was Matt Tees.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 73
Son of Cod
April 9, 2022, 7:07pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.92
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,331
Gold Stars: 196
Tough match today, Weymouth were really hard to breakdown. We've lost a few of these kind of games this season so a point isn't a total disaster. Thought we were the better team for most of it but as we've seen a lot this season, the ball flashed across the box a few times and we had nobody there to knock it in. I think we saw JMD's biggest limitation in his lack of pace. Several times he couldn't get on the end of balls, one of which was a ball from Clifton towards the byline that seemed really well weighted. Him and McAtee had a few moments in which JMD made poor choices too, however the pair of them carved out our best opportunity together.

I thought McAtee did alright personally. He does seem stroppy at times but it's quite often rightfully so, lost count of the amount of times that he wriggled past two players in four or so yards of space and then we'd lose possession immediately after he's given it to someone as they've either miscontrolled it or not been aware that they were about to get closed down.

I don't think Holohan or Jones got a hold of what was a scrappy game in the middle of the park.

I also didn't think it was anywhere near as bad as the Wealdstone/Solihull/Dagenham/Southend away performances.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 73
8 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back  (merged)

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.