This thread currently has 5,116 views. Print
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
GrimRob
April 25, 2022, 9:45pm

Posts Per Day: 2.11
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,452
Gold Stars: 114
As long as it was only in certain areas, then I could go in a stand where it wasn't allowed. It's been a long time since I had a drink and I don't want to end up getting my bag and clothes soaked in beer. That's what happened last time I went to a cricket match and I have never been back, probably a decade now.

I know to most people alcohol seems like harmless fun, and it did to me once, but those days are long gone.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 10 - 46
TAGG
April 25, 2022, 9:50pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -27
Approval: +2,938
Gold Stars: 126
Bring it on I say  

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 46
Madeleymariner
April 25, 2022, 10:01pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +23 / -15
Approval: +3,066
Gold Stars: 50
Trouble is people will still be caning it before games look at any Town Centre on a Sat night, people have all day to mdrink but now they start at 10pm and shovel it down till legless. Piffheads will be piffheads whatever the rules and I prefer not to have them stood near me showering me with their drinks.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 46
aldi_01
April 25, 2022, 11:03pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Quoted from Madeleymariner
Trouble is people will still be caning it before games look at any Town Centre on a Sat night, people have all day to mdrink but now they start at 10pm and shovel it down till legless. Piffheads will be piffheads whatever the rules and I prefer not to have them stood near me showering me with their drinks.

Trouble is, people always look at the minority rather than the bigger picture…

Literally every other country allows drinking in the stands except us…nobody is forcing anyone to drink…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 46
pizzzza
April 26, 2022, 6:40am

Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +20 / -10
Approval: +6,721
Gold Stars: 137
Quoted from aldi_01

Literally every other country allows drinking in the stands except us

Not true
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 46
aldi_01
April 26, 2022, 8:18am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Quoted from pizzzza

Not true

All the major footballing countries across Europe allow drinking in the stands…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 46
quebec38
April 26, 2022, 9:18am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +6 / -1
Approval: +1,588
Gold Stars: 48
I think there is a difference between a cup of tea with a lid on and a pint without, in terms of safety. Let’s not forget that a pint will impair your judgement, which can’t be said for a cup of tea. You’re tightly packed at the football, I wouldn’t fancy a pint down the back of my neck.

People would also be up and down even more for the toilet and drinks. There also seems to be a bit of an issue coming back in atm with missiles from the crowd, thankfully not at BP. Even at the Fury fight on Saturday a pint was thrown towards the ring during the fight. I appreciate the few shouldn’t be able to spoil it for the majority though.

Having said all that, other sports seem to manage just fine so maybe something could be learnt from the cricket and rugby, or they different demographics? Would a drinking stand be an option?

It would be nice if people who wish to have a drink at football could do it safely, however it wouldn’t bother me if I couldn’t. Never realised I had so many thoughts on the subject! Ha.
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 46
MarinerWY
April 26, 2022, 10:04am

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +11 / -5
Approval: +1,991
Gold Stars: 47
Yeah I'm not convinced by it tbh. I'd take less draconian restrictions on ticket numbers, pubs, early kick offs etc surrounding the game, I can do without a pint mid match, and without getting drenched in beer or people coming and going obstructing my view cos they are still thirsty or have broken the seal or whatever.

Beers would get thrown, it happens in the concourse before the game so would happen during. And even if you designated a drinking area, chances are that would be the most vocal, rowdyest area - so you have to choose between being in the vocal section (something we always want to do) and putting up with beer being lobbed and all the other stuff that comes along with it.

It's 45mins, happy with it being booze free tbh.
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 46
April 26, 2022, 10:18am
Guest User
I'm on the end of a row, I'm up and down like a f**king whack-a-mole as it is. Love pre-match beers, not that I get the chance to do that these days, but it's only 45 minutes ffs. Nah.
Reply: 18 - 46
Sweden
April 26, 2022, 10:22am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: +318
Gold Stars: 8
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 46
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Drinking in stands

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.