Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Well done GTFC and trust (again)
Users Browsing Forum
AdSense, Googlebot and 174 Guests

Well done GTFC and trust (again)

This thread currently has 4,915 views. Print
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 All Recommend Thread
RichMariner
June 22, 2022, 12:52pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,165
Gold Stars: 211
Quoted from GollyGTFC

The EFL do have the 72 clubs best interest at heart.

But the PL held a gun to everyone’s head in 2016 when negotiating solidarity payments. Are 24 L1 clubs going to reject £975,000 a year each from the PL and the L2 clubs £650,000 a year over the EFL Trophy.

Take a look at the accounts of clubs in L1 & L2. The clubs can’t afford to lose that sort of money and begrudgingly fell into line.

In a similar way that the Trust did when Fenty demanded £200,000 of shares. Nobody wanted to do it but enough weren’t willing to say “no” and face the potential consequences.

So, hypothetically, in 2023, if the PL held a gun to the EFL's head and offered L1 and L2 clubs £3m each in return for accepting B-teams, and given the precedent set in 2016, do you think the EFL will have the nerve and the backbone to reject it?

Let's be honest, the PL is awash with cash. It could easily afford to do that.

So I disagree. My hunch is that the EFL are prone to buckle and I don't trust that they have our best interests at heart. If they see enough £££ they'll sell us down the river and it'll be up to the fans to unite and fight against it.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 50 - 57
GollyGTFC
June 22, 2022, 1:22pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +6,058
Gold Stars: 358
Quoted from RichMariner

So, hypothetically, in 2023, if the PL held a gun to the EFL's head and offered L1 and L2 clubs £3m each in return for accepting B-teams, and given the precedent set in 2016, do you think the EFL will have the nerve and the backbone to reject it?

So I disagree. My hunch is that the EFL are prone to buckle and I don't trust that they have our best interests at heart. If they see enough £££ they'll sell us down the river and it'll be up to the fans to unite and fight against it.

It’s not worth answered that because that (the financial offer) is not going to happen.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 51 - 57
GollyGTFC
June 22, 2022, 1:24pm

Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from RichMariner

Actually, I have a question…

When you say “the EFL” who are you referring to?
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 52 - 57
WOZOFGRIMSBY
June 22, 2022, 1:28pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,978
Gold Stars: 185
Quoted from RichMariner

Being cynical, do you mean brown envelopes?

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 57
ska face
June 22, 2022, 1:33pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,780
Gold Stars: 851
Quoted from GollyGTFC

Under 21 sides in the EFL Trophy was the consequence of PL solidarity payment negotiations and there being no sponsor for the EFL Trophy in place for the 2016/17 season. The PL had the EFL over a barrel.

That isn’t the case now. It’s the PL on the back foot trying to ridicule, water down and ultimately abandon the Tracey Crouch report. The threat of it has seen the greedy 6 and the other 14 reunite:

Which is why clubs like our in the EFL should be campaigning for full implementation of the Tracey Crouch report.

There’s zero capital to be gained from bringing up a fight from 2016 that was 90% won when the Tracey Crouch report would allow, if implemented, the EFL to tell the PL to **** off and throw the under 21 sides out of the EFL Trophy.

If you are going to try and kill a snake you don’t do it by targeting it’s tail.

So what you meant to say was “no, they aren’t mutually exclusive”, rather than “yes”.

There’s nothing in your post that precludes people protesting against the continued existence of u21 youth teams in our competition, as well as the broader issue of Crouch’s reforms.

You won’t get rid of weeds by cutting the heads off, the whole thing needs to be removed.
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 57
GollyGTFC
June 22, 2022, 1:36pm

Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from ska face

So what you meant to say was “no, they aren’t mutually exclusive”, rather than “yes”.

There’s nothing in your post that precludes people protesting against the continued existence of u21 youth teams in our competition, as well as the broader issue of Crouch’s reforms.

You won’t get rid of weeds by cutting the heads off, the whole thing needs to be removed.

Serious question…

Do you think the EFL Trophy will still exist in a couple of years or will we be left with just the EFL Cup without the Premier League clubs?
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 55 - 57
Maringer
June 22, 2022, 1:58pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,674
Gold Stars: 189
Quoted from rancido

This used to happen in England. During the 1960's I regularly used to watch Grimsby Town Reserves play in the old Midland League against teams like Goole Town and Belper.

But there was no pyramid back in those days with guaranteed promotion and relegation as there is in the modern era. Teams were elected in and out of the League on occasion, but the membership of the Midland League was relatively static. There was no promotion or relegation in the Midland League, for instance, so clubs joined and left but not through success or failure.

I'm sure that the SLFL has some sort of a rule or regulation which disallows promotion of the Old Firm B teams, but the thin end of the wedge is in now and the direction of travel tends to be one way in these situations.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 57
GrimPol
June 22, 2022, 8:48pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +5 / -6
Approval: -787
Gold Stars: 76
Quoted from toontown

Greg dykes (fa chairman at the time) 4 point proposal of 2014 of which b teams was the main proposal. Efl chairman at the time Greg Clarke sat on the commission that proposed it. Allowing b teams into the trophy was a direct result of that.

https://www.theguardian.com/fo.....three-non-eu-players

https://www.independent.co.uk/.....bteams-10081423.html

Whilst I can see that the U21 @ PJ Trophy is part of the Greg Dyke and even Greg Clarke introduced it in the Project Big Picture, however, the current chair,  Rick Parry, is against it.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 57
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Well done GTFC and trust (again)

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.