9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 All Recommend Thread
Hagrid
July 23, 2022, 10:02am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,490
Gold Stars: 537
that first season seemed to just been absolute deadbeat teams scoring crackers against us whilst we steadily got worse and worse.

Remember the rushden game, we booked to stay in Wellingborough the Saturday night, we'd been hammered 4-1, the room stunk, and day after we woke up to the news that Pakistan had been spot fixing  all through the test matches.

Worst one for me was me 16th birthday, trip down to braintree on a tuesday night.... losing 5-0. second game of the season and " your not fit to wear the shirts" rang out.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 80 - 82
zorro_is_a_Mariner
July 23, 2022, 10:32am

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.58
Rep Score: +30 / -6
Approval: +1,369
Gold Stars: 4
Quoted from Hagrid
that first season seemed to just been absolute deadbeat teams scoring crackers against us whilst we steadily got worse and worse.

Remember the rushden game, we booked to stay in Wellingborough the Saturday night, we'd been hammered 4-1, the room stunk, and day after we woke up to the news that Pakistan had been spot fixing  all through the test matches.

Worst one for me was me 16th birthday, trip down to braintree on a tuesday night.... losing 5-0. second game of the season and " your not fit to wear the shirts" rang out.

It got quiet toxic at Braintree, even the subs that didn't come on, thanoj and wood were getting loads of excrement from the fans.

Gtfc all the way
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 81 - 82
forza ivano
July 23, 2022, 1:11pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,282
Gold Stars: 266
Quoted from GollyGTFC

In no particular order…

Coalville Town
Welling United
Kings Lynn Town
Colchester United (Layer Road)
Braintree Town
Alfreton Town
Aldershot Town
Barnet (Underhill)
Chesterfield (Saltergate)
Wealdstone

And a couple (Maidenhead etc…) are lucky to miss out.

I've got a weird fondness for ramshackle non league grounds - find them far more characterful than the Histon/Rushden/Scunny soulless tin shed
So I'd totally disagree on many of them

Coalville should be excepted, simply because they made such a great effort to accommodate and welcome us - it was like going to a  mini winter festival
Welling, similarly, really welcomed us - that social club under the stand was absolutely rocking, and i thought it was quite charming. It also had a rel ale pub , which was like someone's front room 200m from the ground

Alfreton is basic , but the fact that we watched much of the game from the spoil heap the first time round makes it a unique experience
I like aldershot's ground - quirky , but it dos the job and that away covered terrace is brilliant for creating a great atmosphere (Underhill was very similar, especially when we had the side stand)
There was nothing wrong with Saltergate - town centre and always a good atmosphere

Layer Road, Wealdstone and braintree would deffo be on my list
I'd add in Maidenhead, Nuneaton, Barnet's new ground (find that so depressing and non league), Walsall (especially since they closed the social club), Kassam Stadium, Dagenham & Redbridge & Histon

By your criteria you probably should've included Chasetown and Hayes & Yeading - both which i loved . The experience of having a pint ,whilst watching the game through the social club's full length windows still brings a smile , as does the ability to leave Hayes' ramshackle ground to go and have a half time pint in the local.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 82 - 82
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Scunny

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.