5 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
It Bites
July 18, 2022, 5:36pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.46
Rep Score: +4 / -10
Approval: +2,208
Gold Stars: 266
I see the FA are trailing banning heading for U12 . About time , I can't believe it's taken this long . I would hazard a guess that a total ban on heading in all football will happen in the next 10 years
Private Message
male private Nale
July 18, 2022, 5:45pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.35
Rep Score: +3 / -2
Approval: -925
Gold Stars: 136

You have to factor in the medicine type balls professionals were heading back in the 60's and 70's compared to the balls professionals use today.

I do not see a total ban in the professional game ever happening.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 45
Poojah
July 18, 2022, 5:47pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,778
Gold Stars: 1,515
Remove heading from the game and the game you have left no longer resembles football as we know it. How would corners work? Can you still kick the ball high and long?

I’m not suggesting that doing nothing is the only alternative, but there are inherent dangers to many sports that would detract from the spectacle of entertainment were you to mitigate them completely.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 45
lukeo
July 18, 2022, 5:54pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,405
Gold Stars: 149
If you're going to do something to do with heading then run it alongside the FAs attempt at getting children from a young age to pass the ball.
I can't remember at what age the 'retreat line' becomes void but maybe incorporate that into heading. No heading up until the same age as the retreat line. Kids are even more likely to try keep the ball on the deck and pass it to feet etc and work their way into the opponent's box.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 45
Sconeboy
July 18, 2022, 5:58pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: +223
Gold Stars: 2
Quoted from Poojah
Remove heading from the game and the game you have left no longer resembles football as we know it. How would corners work? Can you still kick the ball high and long?

I’m not suggesting that doing nothing is the only alternative, but there are inherent dangers to many sports that would detract from the spectacle of entertainment were you to mitigate them completely.

May as well scrap Boxing then  

<*(((((>< G T F C ><(((((*>
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 45
buckstown
July 18, 2022, 6:00pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +16 / -6
Approval: +5,239
Gold Stars: 80
I’ve coached a large number of U12 kids over the years and the vast majority are terrified of heading a football until they get to about 13-14
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 45
DB
July 18, 2022, 6:06pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.40
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,054
Gold Stars: 391
Quoted from Poojah

Once you take away the basic fundamentals of the game you change it. Today's footballs are different in size and materials compared to the old leather ones.

I'm not in favour of helping people get dementia and there are dangers in all sports of people getting dementia. Today people know the dangers before they take up a sport, whereas in the past dementia was an unheard of word.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 45
It Bites
July 18, 2022, 6:09pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.46
Rep Score: +4 / -10
Approval: +2,208
Gold Stars: 266
Quoted from DB

Once you take away the basic fundamentals of the game you change it. Today's footballs are different in size and materials compared to the old leather ones.

I'm not in favour of helping people get dementia and there are dangers in all sports of people getting dementia. Today people know the dangers before they take up a sport, whereas in the past dementia was an unheard of word.

That's a great point but what about children heading balls ?
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 45
Maringer
July 18, 2022, 6:13pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,674
Gold Stars: 189
Apparently, the modern balls don't make much of a difference to the brain damage caused. Also clashes of heads and so forth. I remember mocking the Yank who invented a helmet for kids to wear when heading the ball. Turns out that wouldn't have helped much either - it's the impact which moves the brain around in the skull which wouldn't be any different with or without a helmet.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 45
DB
July 18, 2022, 7:02pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.40
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,054
Gold Stars: 391
Quoted from It Bites

That's a great point but what about children heading balls ?

I don't how a child's skull develops to maturity so it's hard to answer. One way around it would be to use an inflatable type beach ball the size of a football. Heading skills could be taught but not at the expense of damage to the skull.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 45
5 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Heading the ball

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.