9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
jamesgtfc
July 21, 2022, 11:02pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,041
Gold Stars: 190
James Benson made his debut because Hessenthaler was poleaxed by Simeon Jackson straight from the kick off and I was very reliably told that Runaway tried to send him back to Burnley a week earlier!

For those players he got right early doors (Clarke, Benson, Glennon), there was also Grandin who was absolutely miles off the pace fitness wise and hasn't done anything since. He must have blocked Stockwood for "calling him behind his back" which didn't make sense whatsoever because he still has £500 of shares in the club. I'm sure he actually went as far as saying that he had invested £100k in the club so it caught people by surprise when he only had £500. We were a PLC at the time so it's very naïve of him to think we wouldn't find out.

Poojahs theory makes sense, what went on in late 2020 was disgraceful, yet he still maintained Fenty was a great guy and has controlled all lines of questioning since. If he truly was a decent guy who happened to get innocently caught up in that mess then I think he would have blabbed. His silence is a clear sign that he was implicated in the planned investment. I also think Day stood to do alright out of it or was heavily implicated out of blind loyalty to John because why else would you justify the potential investment from a convicted fraudster as ok because banks aren't people?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 86
GrimExile
July 21, 2022, 11:23pm
Live in Bucks born and bred in Grimsby.
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: +1,280
Gold Stars: 36
Quoted from jamesgtfc
James Benson made his debut because Hessenthaler was poleaxed by Simeon Jackson straight from the kick off and I was very reliably told that Runaway tried to send him back to Burnley a week earlier!

For those players he got right early doors (Clarke, Benson, Glennon), there was also Grandin who was absolutely miles off the pace fitness wise and hasn't done anything since. He must have blocked Stockwood for "calling him behind his back" which didn't make sense whatsoever because he still has £500 of shares in the club. I'm sure he actually went as far as saying that he had invested £100k in the club so it caught people by surprise when he only had £500. We were a PLC at the time so it's very naïve of him to think we wouldn't find out.

Poojahs theory makes sense, what went on in late 2020 was disgraceful, yet he still maintained Fenty was a great guy and has controlled all lines of questioning since. If he truly was a decent guy who happened to get innocently caught up in that mess then I think he would have blabbed. His silence is a clear sign that he was implicated in the planned investment. I also think Day stood to do alright out of it or was heavily implicated out of blind loyalty to John because why else would you justify the potential investment from a convicted fraudster as ok because banks aren't people?

I also think it’s interesting that Holloway hasn’t had (as far as I’m aware) a sniff of a job in football apart from punditry on Quest. I think within the world of football they know what happened and consequently no one will touch him with a barge pole.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 86
jamesgtfc
July 21, 2022, 11:29pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from GrimExile

I also think it’s interesting that Holloway hasn’t had (as far as I’m aware) a sniff of a job in football apart from punditry on Quest. I think within the world of football they know what happened and consequently no one will touch him with a barge pole.

I think his reputation with owners was probably known before he rocked up here. He was out of work 20 months before turning up at QPR and then he arrived at Blundell Park 18 months after leaving QPR.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 86
GrimExile
July 21, 2022, 11:40pm
Live in Bucks born and bred in Grimsby.
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: +1,280
Gold Stars: 36
Quoted from jamesgtfc

I think his reputation with owners was probably known before he rocked up here. He was out of work 20 months before turning up at QPR and then he arrived at Blundell Park 18 months after leaving QPR.

Good point, I hadn’t realised that. Thanks.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 86
aldi_01
July 22, 2022, 7:19am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
The only club that’s likely to take Holloway now is a desperate one. As I mentioned earlier, I’ve worked with many folk who are or have been involved in football, across various levels with one currently the right hand man for Forests youth system and worked for a significant amount of time at Man City…their view of holloway was unanimous…

He only gets a gig on the TV Becauee media luvvies think he funny…blokes a girl private. Simple as that.

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 86
diehardmariner
July 22, 2022, 10:11am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,705
Gold Stars: 543
Quoted from forza ivano

i didn't say that Holloway would've had us challenging. Jolley was sacked with us in deep trouble. Limbrick ,at best, steadied the ship . Holloway , pre covid, pulled us way from relegation. Mansfield we were down to 10 men early on, Bradford were going for promotion, and if i remember correctly orient were lucky to get a draw. Glennon, Clark, Grandin and Benson were all bloody good signings, plus he got Whitehouse and Clifton playing well.

All I'm saying is to try and take a step back - the 2 '3 month seasons' he was involved with were such polar opposites that it's difficult to think of any other rationale for the change

Prior to the season getting curtailed I thought we had an outside chance of sneaking into a play-off spot, after the Newport win on 25th Feb we were 11 points off 7th with 12 games to go, one of which was a game in hand.  Probably fair to say that's ambitious and optimistic but that is the nature of a football fan, no?  Equally so we had all got caught up in the Holloway charm offensive, despite many claiming they saw through him from day one...

As context for the improvement, the day Holloway walked into the building we were 4th bottom and just five points of the relegation places.  

There's absolutely no doubt were inconsistent in those 3 months, but the turnaround was impressive.  It took Limbrick the whole of his tenure as caretaker to stabilise us.  Absolute credit goes to him for that and he certainly laid the foundations for Holloway to build upon, but we were poor.  To a man, all of Holloway's signings improved what we had.  That was what he brought, the ability to bring in players (sadly this skill seemed to leave him in the following months).  He also managed to get the best out of players who weren't quite firing previously for us, like Whitehouse and to an extent Vernam too, although the signs were already showing under Limbrick.

On reflection, a play-off push wouldn't have ever happened.  It was too much and we were too inconsistent.  But in a parallel universe and focusing solely on the footballing side of things, that side wouldn't have neem too many additions away from challenging.  

Private Message
Reply: 45 - 86
aldi_01
July 22, 2022, 10:22am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
I don’t believe we were a decent side, we made a couple of good signings but a good side isn’t as inconsistent as that and I don’t believe for one minute Holloway would’ve sorted it. When your focus to come to a club is about fronting a dodgy deal which makes you and your chums rich, the football was always gonna suffer.

Not everyone was taken in by the bullshit and hyperbole surrounding the straw chewing moron but I get why some were. It was like his interview/a where he kept saying ‘it’s not about me’ which literally made it about him.

Holloway is probably funny if he’s not your manager but once he is you realise he’s a charlatan.

My only positive memory from his tenure is the scunny win…and probably the day he flipping ran away after his mate had been found out to be a crook…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 86
Jarmo.Is.God
July 22, 2022, 10:30am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,050
Gold Stars: 86
All i'll say on the matter is, thank god for Lloyd and the Telegraph, who both got the news out there very quickly, and stopped it in it's tracks.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 86
jamesgtfc
July 22, 2022, 10:35am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from diehardmariner

Prior to the season getting curtailed I thought we had an outside chance of sneaking into a play-off spot, after the Newport win on 25th Feb we were 11 points off 7th with 12 games to go, one of which was a game in hand.  Probably fair to say that's ambitious and optimistic but that is the nature of a football fan, no?  Equally so we had all got caught up in the Holloway charm offensive, despite many claiming they saw through him from day one...

As context for the improvement, the day Holloway walked into the building we were 4th bottom and just five points of the relegation places.  

There's absolutely no doubt were inconsistent in those 3 months, but the turnaround was impressive.  It took Limbrick the whole of his tenure as caretaker to stabilise us.  Absolute credit goes to him for that and he certainly laid the foundations for Holloway to build upon, but we were poor.  To a man, all of Holloway's signings improved what we had.  That was what he brought, the ability to bring in players (sadly this skill seemed to leave him in the following months).  He also managed to get the best out of players who weren't quite firing previously for us, like Whitehouse and to an extent Vernam too, although the signs were already showing under Limbrick.

On reflection, a play-off push wouldn't have ever happened.  It was too much and we were too inconsistent.  But in a parallel universe and focusing solely on the footballing side of things, that side wouldn't have neem too many additions away from challenging.  

I will defend Limbrick taking time to turn things around because he was operating outside a transfer window. I think the fact we played our best stuff under Runaway when Limbrick wasn't furloughed or relieved of his duties say a hell of a lot about both people.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 86
Swansea_Mariner
July 22, 2022, 10:45am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,468
Gold Stars: 63
5 pages and about 3 posts about Sisay lol
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 86
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Alhagi Touray sisay

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.