Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back  (merged)
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 142 Guests

Just Back  (merged)

This thread currently has 12,478 views. Print
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Theimperialcoroner
August 13, 2022, 8:23pm

Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +47 / -4
Approval: +5,276
Gold Stars: 103
This balderdash law about head injuries needs to change. Once again a weak ref simply give the ball to the defenders at the time of a promising attack. All defenders have to do is go down clutching their heads and it all breaks down. The simple way to stop the cheating element of it is for the drop ball to be for the attacking side at all times. Any cheating would stop in an instant.
Just like VAR though, the FA will think they know better and we’ll be stuck with it.

Batch, Crombie, Moore K, Wiggington, Cumming, Waters, Bonnyman, Ford, Emson, Drinkell, Whymark. Love you all, You are the reason I'm on here. You've had help from Todd, Handyside, Futcher P, Groves, Mendonca, Macca etc etc etc. Up The Mariners!!!!!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 81
Chrisblor
August 13, 2022, 8:28pm

Elemér Berkessy
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +53 / -18
Approval: +8,961
Gold Stars: 241
Quoted from Theimperialcoroner
This balderdash law about head injuries needs to change. Once again a weak ref simply give the ball to the defenders at the time of a promising attack. All defenders have to do is go down clutching their heads and it all breaks down. The simple way to stop the cheating element of it is for the drop ball to be for the attacking side at all times. Any cheating would stop in an instant.
Just like VAR though, the FA will think they know better and we’ll be stuck with it.

I did enjoy half the away stand screaming at Glennon to hold his head when he'd been on the receiving end of a heavy tackle and was slow to get up with Rochdale still on the attack though.

gary jones
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 81
headingly_mariner
August 13, 2022, 8:44pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,394
Gold Stars: 124
excrement game in tough conditions. Great day out and brilliant result.

Smith was spectacular. He looks like a player who is really going to kick on and be an excellent footballer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 81
aldi_01
August 13, 2022, 8:59pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
First half wasn’t great and town looked a bit off it although for all their huff and puff, aside from their own man blocking it, they really couldn’t finish a dinner.

Second half, town clearly had a rocket up them and dare I say, Rochdale didn’t really know how to stop us. When you look at it, Crocombe hasn’t really had to make a save.

Thought Hurst got his subs spot on and whilst Efete and Clifton didn’t have great games, both looked better once the changes happened.

That pairing of Glennon and Amos looks decent in my opinion and is definitely something I’d imagine we’ll see again and again.

Smith is different gravy, Waterfall was solid and second half our midfield were relentless. The fitness levels of our lads, especially in that heat are something else.

Pebble did well to win the corner which led to the goal, we just never give up.

Great first win in crazy heat. Two good home games coming up…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 81
ginnywings
August 13, 2022, 9:01pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,154
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from LH
Winning in the last minute is just as good as winning 5-0 imo and I really enjoyed that!

Definitely a game of two halves - Rochdale not very clinical in the final third and we weren’t getting much into ours. It highlighted to me the need for that other striker/attacker to come in and replace McAtee. Second half much improved and Glennon moving forward was a turning point (his family were sat in front of me and seemed happy with that move). Smith brilliant as others said.

There’s not been much point going to the opening 75 mins of our games for maybe 6 months now - we could all survive this cost of living crisis betting on us to score in that period.

Aye.

Four games in and yet to have a striker score a goal.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 81
jamesgtfc
August 13, 2022, 9:25pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,041
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from Poojah
Managed to watch bits of the game via my phone from the other side of the pond whilst attempting to entertain my two kids. Wasn’t able to give the game my undivided attention but what stood out was just how good Andy Smith was.

For a lad who looked pretty unremarkable for us in his first game for us at right back, he’s been a revelation ever since. Still only 20; he’ll make it at Championship level at the very least.

Smith did an alright job in his first couple of games at right back when he was an unknown quantity but then it became apparent that the opposition knew he was a centre back playing out of position but I'm sure he learned a lot during that spell. We should also remember in about March that Shaun Pearson and Luke Waterfall were playing really well together and Hurst decided it was only fair for Smith to get some minutes. Full credit to Smith who grasped that opportunity with both hands, made himself undroppable and has seemingly gone up another notch this season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 81
marinerjase
August 13, 2022, 9:31pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +31 / -1
Approval: +2,679
Gold Stars: 147
Didn’t go but watched via tv - it looked like we didn’t get going, should’ve been 2 down at half time. We looked the better side second half, again without hitting our straps. For me Clifton struggled today, Morris doesn’t get much praise but did well, other than the ball Smith let go over his head from the keeper he didn’t put a foot wrong, absolutely ridiculous booking btw..Waterfall great leader again..even before the goal..Crocombe was 👌, Efete had his hands full with their no 11 who was excellent, as did Wearne. Think you can tell from PH’s interview they had a blast at them half time - they came out and responded, and you can also tell from his tone how happy he was at that response. Building that unity as a squad..again. Him and his team are great at doing it..he’s a bloody great manager for us.

The only thing I do feel we need is someone else up top..another option..Taylor gets isolated, but we all know we need that. The effort and commitment from all the squad has been outstanding..still feel we’ll improve.

Real good feeling about the club and it’s not stopping, on and off pitch. We’ve a manager and squad to be proud of..and they get the backing they deserve by an amazing amount of away support…1249 across the Pennines..with train strikes..cost of living etc..that’s some following. 👏

‘I just f*cking threw myself at it’

Mani D 23 May 2022
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 81
chipsandgravy
August 13, 2022, 9:36pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +3,632
Gold Stars: 38
My view on today:-
Difficult first half and a massive bonus we were still in it at half time. Tactically we got it wrong.
Better second half without ever being fluent.
Smith - different gravy!
Love the fact that we can dig in as a team in a league that is clearly a step up!
Three games in and think we can more than hold our own if we can just sign that elusive striker!
Great support. Happy to be a Mariner!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 81
August 13, 2022, 9:37pm
Guest User
This is a genuine question, and I am not having a dig at anyone.  I would just like to know why we keep playing a CM on the LW, it showed today when Clifton got into a good position, but his attempted crosses with his left foot were woeful?
Reply: 28 - 81
aldi_01
August 13, 2022, 9:46pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Quoted from 123614
This is a genuine question, and I am not having a dig at anyone.  I would just like to know why we keep playing a CM on the LW, it showed today when Clifton got into a good position, but his attempted crosses with his left foot were woeful?

I suspect Clifton gets picked because of work rate his defensive abilities. I agree that his crossing is not much better than school boy stuff.

Perhaps we don’t see other aspects that Hurst expects, today I thought he struggled until he was pushed inside. Conversely, the Glennon/Amos partnership down that side is decent and they both get it. They embrace it which is great to see…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 81
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back  (merged)

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.