Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back  (merged)
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 150 Guests

Just Back  (merged)

This thread currently has 12,477 views. Print
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
oochiad
August 14, 2022, 11:25pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.62
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +3,724
Gold Stars: 28
Well I did go and I disagree, no way they had five clear cut chances. We also hit the bar ffs, that was closer than half their chances. Let’s keep things realistic.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 81
GyMariner
August 14, 2022, 11:58pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +9 / -5
Approval: +690
Gold Stars: 7
Quoted from oochiad
Well I did go and I disagree, no way they had five clear cut chances. We also hit the bar ffs, that was closer than half their chances. Let’s keep things realistic.

I’m not going to argue on how ‘clear cut’ the chances were. Anyone with a decent set of eyes would see that we were very lucky not to go into half time several goals down. I watched the game on MarinersTV so was understandably a better view. All I’m saying is, let’s not sugar coat the game as a tactical master-class or shrewd substitutions. We absolutely rode our luck and nicked a late winner. I think PH eluded towards this in his post match interview. Was a great 3 points netherless  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 81
IlkleyMariner
August 15, 2022, 5:46am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +12 / -1
Approval: +3,038
Gold Stars: 69
I was there and had a good view
Don’t think we would have been 5-0 down at half time but whether it was 2-0 or 3-0 or 4-0 at half time think we would have lost irrespective of substitutions
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 81
Lost in Lincoln
August 15, 2022, 8:56am
Formerly siy2k5
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.62
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +388
Gold Stars: 7
Quoted from GyMariner

I’m not going to argue on how ‘clear cut’ the chances were. Anyone with a decent set of eyes would see that we were very lucky not to go into half time several goals down. I watched the game on MarinersTV so was understandably a better view. All I’m saying is, let’s not sugar coat the game as a tactical master-class or shrewd substitutions. We absolutely rode our luck and nicked a late winner. I think PH eluded towards this in his post match interview. Was a great 3 points netherless  

As much as some are 'sugar coating' it, you are 'excrement coating it'.

Yes, they had 3 good chances in the first half (no idea where you got 5 from), but they didn't take any of them.  How many times has the shoe been on the other foot?  Exeter under Hollowhead springs to mind, and that was put down as a 'classic away smash and grab'.

Yes they had chances and yes the game could have been over at HT.  But it wasn't.  Far too many times in the past, we'd have carried on in the same vein in the 2nd half, awaiting the inevitable.  Instead, changes were made and we took control of the game.  Sometimes you make your own luck in this game.

I'm not getting carried away over the result, as much as I wasn't depressed over Orient.  It's a 46 game season, anyone who thinks we aren't going have to ride our luck at times is deluded.  I will also guarantee you that we will play much better than that and lose.

First game: 7/5/88 Aldershot (h) 1-1 (R)
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 73 - 81
aldi_01
August 15, 2022, 9:05am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Quoted from GyMariner

Could argue we rode our luck but aside from their own player clearing it off the line, our keeper hasn’t made a save. They couldn’t finish a dinner so I guess it very much depends on your interpretation of clear cut.

Our shift in shape and the subs naturally influenced the game. Hurst has been maligned over his time for being predictable with subs yet here we are again with changes impacting the game for the greater good.

I’ve no doubt that this morning in training they’ll be looking at how easy it was for them to carve us open at times but equally, teams that win games often teeter on the edge and run risks…we did, we won. We can cry bottom and make a big deal about how many alleged chances Rochdale had but I’m sure if you spoke to their manager and fans they’d rather have done what we did than what they did…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 81
Mariner_09
August 15, 2022, 11:26am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.09
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,194
Gold Stars: 55
Quoted from oochiad

Plus, Crocombe didn’t actually have a save to make, although he caught crosses very well. Not saying we didn’t ride our luck, we did to a certain extent and better sides will punish us. However, I think 3 of the 4 games so far have demonstrated how strikers are at such a premium at this level and it’s certainly not us who’s looking for one. Orient had a loads of openings in the first 20 minutes and only went ahead in the second half courtesy of a dodgy pen and a wonder strike, against Northampton we couldn’t put away a chance for love nor money until right and the end and then Rochdale with a half decent striker would’ve been 2-0 up after 15 mins. I think Orsi coming into the team or signing a slightly more mobile and bigger goal threat version of Taylor could make a significant difference in this league.

Don’t think that was the last time either we get dominated for 20-30 mins or we dominate someone for a similar period but can’t find a goal. It already seems like a feature in this league.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 81
pontoonlew
August 15, 2022, 12:22pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,091
Gold Stars: 178
Quoted from Chrisblor
Very good angle on matchday moments showing Pebble was clearly fouled by the Rochdale defender before the ball went out for the corner we scored from. It actually should have been a goal kick since the Rochdale player didn't get a touch on it at all. Would have rounded off the ref's day superbly if we hadn't fortunately scored from the corner he incorrectly awarded us instead of a penalty.

Thank god both that and the Notts County one went in after we had stone wall pens denied in the build up.

Thinking back, I can’t remember the last game where a refereeing howler was for us and not against. Notts County, Wrexham, Solihull, Northampton and Rochdale all had incidents of gross refereeing and not once in our favour. That’s 5 of our last 7 games too which is a damning insight into the refs in this country too.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 76 - 81
Chrisblor
August 15, 2022, 12:31pm

Elemér Berkessy
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +53 / -18
Approval: +8,962
Gold Stars: 239
tbf in that Wrexham match alone we had Crocombe getting away with almost decapitating an opposition player, and Smith obstructing a defender at the long throw-in which allowed Waterfall's free header for the winner

gary jones
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 77 - 81
Knut Anders Fosters Voles
August 15, 2022, 1:58pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.84
Rep Score: +24 / -1
Approval: +8,832
Gold Stars: 555
Quoted from pontoonlew

Thank god both that and the Notts County one went in after we had stone wall pens denied in the build up.

Thinking back, I can’t remember the last game where a refereeing howler was for us and not against. Notts County, Wrexham, Solihull, Northampton and Rochdale all had incidents of gross refereeing and not once in our favour. That’s 5 of our last 7 games too which is a damning insight into the refs in this country too.

I’ve watched that Pepple challenge about 20 times and I’m still none the wiser whether it was a foul or not. The ball gets caught under his feet and then squirts off to the left. It looks like Seriki doesn’t touch the ball, barges into Pepple and the ball shanks wide off Pepple’s standing foot.

If I can’t be sure from a replay, it’s very tricky for the ref in real time. Given the direction the ball went you would have to side with the defender, if you weren’t sure. It can’t be described as gross refereeing.

Rochdale should have had a pen in the first half when Holohan flung their player down in the box at a throw in. Clifton’s yellow was probably an orange - premeditated, late, high, out of control, studs up. He then had gravity issues twice after that - once in the first half in their penalty area and once in the second, when he was going down before the tackle came in - before Morris’ free kick.

Notts Co incident - again, very difficult for the ref to look at the incident and the pitch marking at the same time to be sure it was in the box (it was). Cropper handball was a pen.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 78 - 81
GhostDan
August 15, 2022, 2:30pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.19
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +984
Gold Stars: 12
Like Knut says above,  I was at the game and watched the replays many times since and there's no chance anybody can call that for sure. I don't recall Pebble complaining that much?

Quite funny how in the build up to that, both of Pebbles first touches led to a tackle & he just bulldozed his way through.  Looks really raw to me but nonetheless, big strong lad and not afraid to use it - hopefully the rest will come.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 79 - 81
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back  (merged)

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.