Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back on the Train.
Users Browsing Forum
AdSense, Googlebot and 168 Guests

Just Back on the Train.

This thread currently has 12,816 views. Print
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Madeleymariner
August 27, 2022, 6:01pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +23 / -15
Approval: +3,066
Gold Stars: 51
Back home, great 2nd half but only threatened to score once we went to 442. Good aternoon out well done Town.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 73
BenBB
August 27, 2022, 6:04pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +1 / -2
Approval: +842
Gold Stars: 30
Quoted from Mariner93er

MOM Crocombe. Usually, I'd be bricking it in added time when they were launching balls in, but Crocombe really inspires confidence and dealt with everything superbly.

Was disappointing when Hursty started playing Crocombe instead of Macca last season at first but he's really come into his own. Good to see. Love his long kicks and general distribution and a decent shot stopper to boot.

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 11 - 73
moosey_club
August 27, 2022, 6:11pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,306
Gold Stars: 227
Quoted from exiledmeggie
Here you go! Sham 69. Hurry up Harry.

https://www.bing.com/videos/se.....Tube%26FORM%3DVDMHRS

Diamond xx

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 73
sonofmadeleymariner
August 27, 2022, 6:11pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.89
Rep Score: +20 / -9
Approval: +1,451
Gold Stars: 37
A nice quick 45min drive back to Stoke after a great result is nice.

First half was probably worse then the Sutton game. No pace, no movement and no energy. We looked like we were just going through the motions most of the time outside of Clifton, Smith and Crocombe. Conceded a very poor goal and then an almost identical second shortly after and Crocombe made a great save near the end of the half being the only real moments in the game.

Wearne made an imediate impact added a bit of pace going forward we were obviously needed, things improved as a whole. Our movement off the ball especially. Things really clicked when we went 442 when Pepple came on. Pepple made a great cross to the near post for Clifton's first to tap in, our second was more scrappy, anyone of about 4 should of scored before Clifton finished it off.

Great comeback win in the end. I just hope (it probably won't) it prompts Hurst to play a more attacking line up and look to drop one of the three DMCs because neither Green or Morris has looked good in the hole behind Taylor this season and I don't think we have someone who can play that McAtee roll in the squad at the moment.

I don't mind Roy Keane making £60,000 a week. I was making the same when I was playing. The only difference was I was printing my own - Mickey Thomas

The area you are trying to protect at corners is the goal - Chris Kamara

I once said Gazza's IQ was less than his shirt number and he asked me: What's an IQ? - George Best
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 73
gtfc98
August 27, 2022, 6:20pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.73
Rep Score: +45 / -21
Approval: +3,061
Gold Stars: 68
Really poor first half. Green looked knackered after 20 minutes and second to a lot of balls, thought Amos looked out of his depth and Glennon less effective than usual on the wing. Taylor completely isolated upfront, no pace in the team at all. After ten minutes I'm thinking we're getting a battering here. Clifton our most attacking threat, and by his own admission I'm sure he'd say he's not the most attacking player (despite the 2 goals today!)

Second half a completely different prospect, Wearne introduced a bit of pace and guile and linked up really well with Efete. Pepple then introduced some much needed pace up front, got close to Taylor and stretched the play. Glennon looked much improved at left back, linked up really well with Clifton down the left flank and we started to look a real threat. Great counter attack and ball in the box from Pepple and a lovely finish. Orsi looked sharp when he came on, nice composed ball out to Glennon(?) who then put a good ball into the box, bounced back to Orsi who perhaps should have scored himself but Clifton was clinical at the far post.

Other than his slip which led to a great save from Crocombe I thought Smith was outstanding, has a great understanding with Waterfall and the pair of them won everything in the air.

Morris quietly went about his business, kept the ball moving and Crocombe really is a step up from Macca as sad as I was to see him out of the team and then subsequently leave. Whenever the ball goes into the box I'm confident he's going to catch it, or at the very least get a solid punch on it and no flapping. His distribution is top notch too, looks like a really solid league 2 keeper.

On the balance of possession and the second half it's a deserved win and our early season form looks promising. 2 wins in 3 away games, unbeaten since the opening day against the team flying high at the top of the league. Let's see what this week brings with the closing of the window. UTM

No longer Sick of the BlueSquare  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 73
davmariner
August 27, 2022, 6:25pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +37 / -11
Approval: +4,970
Gold Stars: 79
Quoted from Hagrid
Very impressed- again- with Pepple

Looks a handful doesn’t he? When he’s fully settled in I think we could well have an excellent player on ours hands.

Up The Mariners!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 73
TonySmith
August 27, 2022, 6:25pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +4 / -1
Approval: +968
Gold Stars: 11
Great second half performance after Walsall were all over us in the first half. Both Pepple and Orsi made a big difference after the rest of the team had worked so hard for 70 minutes. Maybe Hurst has been studying Mohammad Ali's "Rope-a-Dope" strategy. Let the opposition punch themselves out and then take advantage. Seems risky to me, but it certainly looked like that today!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 73
RonMariner
August 27, 2022, 6:51pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,836
Gold Stars: 227
Tremendous result against a team still 9th despite losing today. So with this and the other results recently we are mixing it with the best of them.

Very even contest in the first half, we competed hard but gave away possession too easily and had no real goal threat.

The shape was far better in the second half and I think we were by far the best side after the break, though still lacking some passing quality in the final third.

Thought Pebble's delivery for the first goal was excellent, and it was a super finish from Clifton.

Overall we deserved this victory and having won two away games on the trot it seems to me that we have the players to grind out results away from home.  Be interesting to get a longer look at Orsi, he certainly puts himself about. I don't think Holohan is that effective in the MacAtee role. I'd prefer us to play two up front in the home games at least.  

But what a brilliant day out!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 73
Limerick Mariner
August 27, 2022, 7:22pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,747
Gold Stars: 138
The two left back thing didn’t work and the midfield 3 were all off the pace for some reason, not just Green. Glennon was too far away from Amos yet wasn’t delivering quality balls in, whereas in the second half he was good. Harry was the standout all game though along with Smith. At this level you cannot undervalue his outstanding energy levels.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 73
forza ivano
August 27, 2022, 8:05pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,282
Gold Stars: 266
Quoted from gtfc98
Really poor first half. Green looked knackered after 20 minutes and second to a lot of balls, thought Amos looked out of his depth and Glennon less effective than usual on the wing. Taylor completely isolated upfront, no pace in the team at all. After ten minutes I'm thinking we're getting a battering here. Clifton our most attacking threat, and by his own admission I'm sure he'd say he's not the most attacking player (despite the 2 goals today!)

Second half a completely different prospect, Wearne introduced a bit of pace and guile and linked up really well with Efete. Pepple then introduced some much needed pace up front, got close to Taylor and stretched the play. Glennon looked much improved at left back, linked up really well with Clifton down the left flank and we started to look a real threat. Great counter attack and ball in the box from Pepple and a lovely finish. Orsi looked sharp when he came on, nice composed ball out to Glennon(?) who then put a good ball into the box, bounced back to Orsi who perhaps should have scored himself but Clifton was clinical at the far post.

Other than his slip which led to a great save from Crocombe I thought Smith was outstanding, has a great understanding with Waterfall and the pair of them won everything in the air.

Morris quietly went about his business, kept the ball moving and Crocombe really is a step up from Macca as sad as I was to see him out of the team and then subsequently leave. Whenever the ball goes into the box I'm confident he's going to catch it, or at the very least get a solid punch on it and no flapping. His distribution is top notch too, looks like a really solid league 2 keeper.

On the balance of possession and the second half it's a deserved win and our early season form looks promising. 2 wins in 3 away games, unbeaten since the opening day against the team flying high at the top of the league. Let's see what this week brings with the closing of the window. UTM

An excellent summing up. The only thing I'd slightly disagree with is that I didnt think smith was quite as imperious as usual. There were 1 or 2 slips of concentration and several poor passes. Would be interested to see pepple n orsi up front together. Also showed the importance of the Hurst mantra ' stay in the game'
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 73
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back on the Train.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.