Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back on the Train.
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 113 Guests

Just Back on the Train.

This thread currently has 12,814 views. Print
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 All Recommend Thread
gtfc_chris
August 30, 2022, 11:42am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.48
Rep Score: +10 / 0
Approval: +1,511
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from Poojah

I didn’t, sadly. Made it as far as ‘spoons before the desire to get out of Walsall town centre became too strong. I’ll stop short of cheap shots because these are tough times economically, especially for provincial towns like Walsall and Grimsby, but wow, it’s a place that is really struggling right now. Brutally forlorn and impoverished and in dire need of serious investment. I hope it gets some as it saddens me when once thriving communities get neglected forgotten about like that.

The Bescot is a pretty grim place to watch football too, like Glanford Park shágged the City Ground with disappointing results, but away days are what you make of them and not withstanding the great win it was a cracking day out. Few beers with mates before the game, bumping into an old mate from school I haven’t seen in years along with his missus and two little girls (resplendent in their retro Town shirts) before a curry in Birmingham before catching the train back to Leeds more than a little worse for wear. Well, píssed enough not to remember the bóllocking I apparently got from the wife when I stumbled through the door. Win win.

I've only been on here for 5 or 6 months(ish) and I've come to get a feel for who I align myself with in terms of opinions and ideas. I would not for one second have thought that the old mate I bumped into in the bar before the game was indeed Poojah, doesn't match the memory of the man!  

This is where I learn that there was another family complete with retro Town shirts bumping into old school friends who also live in Leeds and I look considerably daft.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 73
lukeo
August 30, 2022, 11:43am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,405
Gold Stars: 149
I think once everyone is fit and available a 352/532 formation is decent if played correctly.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 73
Poojah
August 30, 2022, 12:00pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,767
Gold Stars: 1,509
Quoted from gtfc_chris

I've only been on here for 5 or 6 months(ish) and I've come to get a feel for who I align myself with in terms of opinions and ideas. I would not for one second have thought that the old mate I bumped into in the bar before the game was indeed Poojah, doesn't match the memory of the man!  

This is where I learn that there was another family complete with retro Town shirts bumping into old school friends who also live in Leeds and I look considerably daft.

Nah you’re alright, that was me, Chris. As jarring as it was to learn that the kind of schoolyard idiocy I may once have once engaged in, that I have tried long and hard to forget about myself, remains fresh in the memories of others, you can rest assured that I’ve grown up (a bit) in the time since we would knock about.

A husband, a father of two and a (semi) respectable businessman nowadays. I’m still more than capable of getting myself into silly and dangerous situations (Barnet away last season did not end well for me) but I’d like to think I’ve learned a few things over the years and grown a bit in the maturity stakes. That’s all you can do, right?

Gone are the childish pranks, replaced with love and respect for all humanity (except that lot down the A180, I think I’ll be laughing at them for some time to come!).

Great to see you though mate; really nice to see young families spending the day following Town like that (and the retro shirts were ACE!).  

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 73
Limerick Mariner
August 30, 2022, 12:18pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,745
Gold Stars: 138
Quoted from Poojah

Nah you’re alright, that was me, Chris. As jarring as it was to learn that the kind of schoolyard idiocy I may once have once engaged in, that I have tried long and hard to forget about myself, remains fresh in the memories of others, you can rest assured that I’ve grown up (a bit) in the time since we would knock about.

A husband, a father of two and a (semi) respectable businessman nowadays. I’m still more than capable of getting myself into silly and dangerous situations (Barnet away last season did not end well for me) but I’d like to think I’ve learned a few things over the years and grown a bit in the maturity stakes. That’s all you can do, right?

Gone are the childish pranks, replaced with love and respect for all humanity (except that lot down the A180, I think I’ll be laughing at them for some time to come!).

Great to see you though mate; really nice to see young families spending the day following Town like that (and the retro shirts were ACE!).  

On the subject of retro shirts I can recommend the Toffs 1950's half button (the "Tommy Briggs"). I didn't like the previous 50s ones but the new ones are made to order and superb.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 73
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back on the Train.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.