September 4, 2022, 12:10am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Quoted from gtfc98

Collins was excrement? Next joke please

All about opinions. Sadly, for me, Collins is just another in a long line of players coming for another pay day. Was average at best and can’t think of a performance that stands out.

As for Bennett, who knows. I guess some of it depends on what he wants and what Hurst wants.

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 63
fishcake63
September 4, 2022, 7:29am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,225
Gold Stars: 62
Might not be everybodys thoughts but i'd much rather blow what we have on trying to sign smith long term , we've had some good young centre halfs in my time watching the mariners but this lad best of the lot bennett included , he can pass tackle head & he covers the ground like a gazzelle
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 63
pen penfras
September 4, 2022, 9:08am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -134
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from cardiffmariner
Haven’t seen Bennet play for years so can’t comment on his current ability.

What I can say is that Smith and Waterfall are an excellent partnership I wouldn’t be in a hurry to break it up. And I say this as one of the many who would happily have seen Waterfall depart a couple of seasons ago.

Smiths and Waterfall were both properly excellent today.

Our defensive record is good. If it ain’t broke don’t fix it.

Almost every game this season, Smith has made a howler of a mistake and if we'd played clinical teams, he'd be getting slated for costing us so many goals. It's fine margins, but the rave reviews are a bit much. For the other 89 minutes, he looks a class above.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 63
NewtoN
September 4, 2022, 10:27am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +7 / -1
Approval: +207
Gold Stars: 5
Take the emotion and the fact he is a former player out of the picture and if we were linked to a former experienced premier league centre back with 4-5 years left, everyone would be very happy. I can’t see it happening personally due to a number of factors but it was only a couple of games ago we had to play Efete at centre half, football moves fast!

Up the Mariners, Up the Broadley!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 63
toontown
September 4, 2022, 10:38am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,274
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from pen penfras

Almost every game this season, Smith has made a howler of a mistake and if we'd played clinical teams, he'd be getting slated for costing us so many goals. It's fine margins, but the rave reviews are a bit much. For the other 89 minutes, he looks a class above.

Fair point, I agree with that. Has to work on his concentration, otherwise looks great.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 63
MuddyWaters
September 4, 2022, 10:50am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,288
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from toontown

Fair point, I agree with that. Has to work on his concentration, otherwise looks great.

Arveladze has gone on record to say that he needs to reduce numbers now. As much as I like Bennett, I’d rather have Smith.
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 63
HertsGTFC
September 4, 2022, 11:20am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.25
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,998
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from toontown

That's why he's out on loan isn't it? Not a dig at you mate but I really get fed up when people pick fault with some of the young loanees we've had over the years. They're learning the game by playing first team competitive football, we all know (well most of us do) that they'll make mistakes and are not the finished article.    

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 63
toontown
September 4, 2022, 12:41pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from HertsGTFC

That's why he's out on loan isn't it? Not a dig at you mate but I really get fed up when people pick fault with some of the young loanees we've had over the years. They're learning the game by playing first team competitive football, we all know (well most of us do) that they'll make mistakes and are not the finished article.    

Equally I think some people are guilty of going over board bigging players up and making out their flawless. A bit of balance that's all.

I think he's great, and I'm sure he'll learn from those occasional errors and become even better.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 63
rancido
September 4, 2022, 12:48pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,653
Gold Stars: 101
Quoted from toontown

Equally I think some people are guilty of going over board bigging players up and making out their flawless. A bit of balance that's all.

I think he's great, and I'm sure he'll learn from those occasional errors and become even better.

I know these are big ifs but :
If we get promoted or at least make some progress in the play-offs and
If Hull want to sell him then Smith would be an excellent signing for the future and certainly worth paying good money for. He is a developing, young defender who you could build a good defence around.
Like I said, big ifs but IMO a better option than signing a top class defender who is approaching the twilight years of his career.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 63
toontown
September 4, 2022, 1:01pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from rancido

I know these are big ifs but :
If we get promoted or at least make some progress in the play-offs and
If Hull want to sell him then Smith would be an excellent signing for the future and certainly worth paying good money for. He is a developing, young defender who you could build a good defence around.
Like I said, big ifs but IMO a better option than signing a top class defender who is approaching the twilight years of his career.

Don't disagree although I am sure he will be out of our financial reach, he looks better than Pollock for example.

Mind you I thought that would be the case with Glennon...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 63
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Ryan Bennett

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.