10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 All Recommend Thread
toontown
November 20, 2022, 4:19pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,273
Gold Stars: 70
It might be that January is yet another in/out shake it all about, but is it really necessary?

As the posters above point out, we have got an awful lot of players (too many?) we never have a settled system or personnel, so do we need to further muddy the waters with another load of replacements?

Would it be better to offload one or two if we can, and put all our money into a striker, play a preferred system and stick with it?  

Answers on a postcard I suppose.

Regarding the striker - will we be willing to pay the going rate in wages, even if it makes him the top earner?

Surely mcatee on championship forward wages would be the top earner, albeit we just wouldn't be paying most of it. That actually might make it easier as the incoming player wouldn't be the top earner after all?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 90 - 97
wigworld
November 20, 2022, 8:36pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.58
Rep Score: +32 / -3
Approval: +2,080
Gold Stars: 29
Clifton has chipped in with a few goals this season, and we're struggling for goals. Have they been from midfield or right back?
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 91 - 97
Croxton
November 20, 2022, 8:45pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.74
Rep Score: +14 / -4
Approval: +3,020
Gold Stars: 35
Quoted from Kris2

Nah thought he was pretty ineffective all game. Was shocked when Hurst pulled Kahn off instead of Morris or Green because neither of them looked great and Kahn has been one of our more likely players to score or set something up at that point. Though being baffled by Hurst's use of substitutes has been a hallmark for a long time.

This. Khan is always looking to build a move and retain possession. He was linking with Amos and is able to cut inside or get to the byline. Plus, he hit the post with a great chance he created himself. Shortly after losing Khan, Amos ran the ball out for a goal kick instead of winning the corner and has to belt back to defend the attack and fails to stop their player getting the cross in for their goal. Simmonds was no replacement for Khan. Yet Morris stays on and neither Hunt nor Hollohan were used.

Similar happened at Hartlepool. Very frustrating.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 92 - 97
Mariner_09
November 20, 2022, 10:32pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.09
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,194
Gold Stars: 55
This singling out of Michee is starting to disturb me. He was excellent yesterday. He ran up and down the line as well as he has all season, and aside from getting underneath that awkward ball early doors he was fine defensively, one of his best performances full stop I’d say. He put in several properly nasty crosses and was generally all you’d ask for from a wing back/attacking full back.

The draw was the least we deserved, would’ve been very harsh to take nothing from it. For a side who are second, I didn’t make much to them. They were physical but let us play quite a bit. I thought McAtee demonstrated within a few minutes exactly what we’ve missed. He’s a cut above, even at this level. My Dad said to me that he reckons he looks a better player at this level than he did in the NL, that he’s improved. Think that’s right, he’s one of the best players at this level, and maybe even the level above. He’s obviously really worked on himself as well, as he got through 90 minutes yesterday, didn’t cramp up although he looked tired from sort of 70 mins onwards but still kept at it. He really needs a partner though, we can’t have him creating everything and simultaneously scoring the chances he creates for himself!

Agree with people re Amos, he was excellent and got up and down the line just as well as Michee. Did very well especially considering how he hasn’t really played for weeks. I didn’t think Morris or Harry played well. Both were uncharacteristically sloppy in position, we only got that penalty because Harry’s touch had been awful all game. Morris was also poor last week, thought Green was easily the pick of our midfielders.

The penalty was just rubbish from beginning to end. McAtee’s pass to Harry was poor, Harry’s touch was rubbish, needless foul by the keeper as Harry had already made a mess of it and the less said about the actual penalty the better. McAtee needs pens taking off him, he’s not great at them and missed plenty last season. Hursty needs to take them off him and give them to maybe Holohan under normal circumstances.

It’s a good point in isolation but we now need to back it up with some wins, it’s a tough run when we come off this cup break in the next fortnight. I still think we’ll finish somewhere between 10th and 16th. If we get our Jan recruitment right and McAtee stays in form we could maybe sneak in the playoffs but that’s now looking a push.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 93 - 97
arryarryarry
November 22, 2022, 2:37pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,041
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from Mariner_09
This singling out of Michee is starting to disturb me. He was excellent yesterday. He ran up and down the line as well as he has all season, and aside from getting underneath that awkward ball early doors he was fine defensively, one of his best performances full stop I’d say. He put in several properly nasty crosses and was generally all you’d ask for from a wing back/attacking full back.

The draw was the least we deserved, would’ve been very harsh to take nothing from it. For a side who are second, I didn’t make much to them. They were physical but let us play quite a bit. I thought McAtee demonstrated within a few minutes exactly what we’ve missed. He’s a cut above, even at this level. My Dad said to me that he reckons he looks a better player at this level than he did in the NL, that he’s improved. Think that’s right, he’s one of the best players at this level, and maybe even the level above. He’s obviously really worked on himself as well, as he got through 90 minutes yesterday, didn’t cramp up although he looked tired from sort of 70 mins onwards but still kept at it. He really needs a partner though, we can’t have him creating everything and simultaneously scoring the chances he creates for himself!

Agree with people re Amos, he was excellent and got up and down the line just as well as Michee. Did very well especially considering how he hasn’t really played for weeks. I didn’t think Morris or Harry played well. Both were uncharacteristically sloppy in position, we only got that penalty because Harry’s touch had been awful all game. Morris was also poor last week, thought Green was easily the pick of our midfielders.

The penalty was just rubbish from beginning to end. McAtee’s pass to Harry was poor, Harry’s touch was rubbish, needless foul by the keeper as Harry had already made a mess of it and the less said about the actual penalty the better. McAtee needs pens taking off him, he’s not great at them and missed plenty last season. Hursty needs to take them off him and give them to maybe Holohan under normal circumstances.

It’s a good point in isolation but we now need to back it up with some wins, it’s a tough run when we come off this cup break in the next fortnight. I still think we’ll finish somewhere between 10th and 16th. If we get our Jan recruitment right and McAtee stays in form we could maybe sneak in the playoffs but that’s now looking a push.

Is he being singled out? I thought he has been quite poor at times in recent games. For me he sometimes switches off and can become a liability.
Private Message
Reply: 94 - 97
Mariner_09
November 22, 2022, 2:51pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.09
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,194
Gold Stars: 55
Quoted from arryarryarry

Is he being singled out? I thought he has been quite poor at times in recent games. For me he sometimes switches and can become a liability.

He gets dog's abuse and when we lose, he is always scapegoated. Look at the number of posts in this thread that mention him in a negative way.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 95 - 97
MuddyWaters
November 22, 2022, 3:29pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,288
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from Mariner_09

Regarding Morris, he and Hunt rely on movement in front of them and, unfortunately, we are currently playing with a makeshift structure because of Taylor’s absence. The only midfielder whose movement off the ball is decent is Holohan and he didn’t play, beyond that McAtee was playing centrally and was generally well marked. As a result, Morris ended up passing sideways because Stevenage stopped the ball getting out wide and, without a striker, we didn’t do anything from wide positions when we did get it there.
Private Message
Reply: 96 - 97
Bigdog
November 22, 2022, 5:57pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.12
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from Mariner_09

Knowing our fanbase, there can only be one reason..

They love long throw ins!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 97 - 97
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.