Hagrid
November 25, 2022, 10:53am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,489
Gold Stars: 537
Quoted from Croxton

Most of them have had injury spells too. Orsi will get sharper with more games although he relies on passes to feet rather than hoof ball.

I would suggest that Maher is the best of the bunch. Almost as quick as Smith and a good talker. Makes sensible decisions and feeds passes to midfield rather than long diagonals. Khan unfairly cast aside for inexperienced loanees.

Unfairly cast aside!? What are you talking about!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 121
ginnywings
November 25, 2022, 10:54am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,154
Gold Stars: 548
Didn't take long did it? 18 months after we all got what we wanted with new local owners, the grumbling starts because we aren't running away with the league. We've had a promotion and rapidly expanded our fan base in that time. This season is about stabilizing and improvement.

I'm quite sanguine about where we are, playing Bradford instead of Bromley; Doncaster instead of Dorking and I think we all need to chill and see where we are after the window and at the end of the season.

I'm sure everyone is working hard to unearth some better players and it's not long to the new year now.

I'm as p1ssed off as the next fan at our lack of goals and home form but PH has shown more than once that he sorts the team out given time and gets us going in the right direction.

He has got us promoted twice from probably the hardest league to get promoted from, so for me, he has the leeway to carry on building something.

Same with the owners who have shown that they know how to run successful organisations and given all the problems they inherited, they can't sort every problem at a stroke. I have seen first hand the state the ground was in and all the work and expense that's been poured into it. A lot of which has gone unnoticed by fans because it's not obvious.

I think it's good they are thinking long term stability and not quick glory by shovelling money into the playing squad.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 121
pontoonlew
November 25, 2022, 11:03am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,091
Gold Stars: 178
Quoted from ginnywings
Didn't take long did it? 18 months after we all got what we wanted with new local owners, the grumbling starts because we aren't running away with the league. We've had a promotion and rapidly expanded our fan base in that time. This season is about stabilizing and improvement.

I'm quite sanguine about where we are, playing Bradford instead of Bromley; Doncaster instead of Dorking and I think we all need to chill and see where we are after the window and at the end of the season.

I'm sure everyone is working hard to unearth some better players and it's not long to the new year now.

I'm as p1ssed off as the next fan at our lack of goals and home form but PH has shown more than once that he sorts the team out given time and gets us going in the right direction.

He has got us promoted twice from probably the hardest league to get promoted from, so for me, he has the leeway to carry on building something.

Same with the owners who have shown that they know how to run successful organisations and given all the problems they inherited, they can't sort every problem at a stroke. I have seen first hand the state the ground was in and all the work and expense that's been poured into it. A lot of which has gone unnoticed by fans because it's not obvious.

I think it's good they are thinking long term stability and not quick glory by shovelling money into the playing squad.

Apart from 1-2, I haven’t really seen anybody moaning about the owners or even really the season so far. Many of the points are really valid and pretty well reasoned (kind of the point of a message board). There’s certainly nobody moaning about us not ‘running away with the league’.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 121
Maringer
November 25, 2022, 11:18am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,674
Gold Stars: 189
I think we've been slightly unfortunate in most regards. The pre-season was unavoidably too short because of the timings of the play-offs at the end of the last season so nothing much could be done about that. Then, many of our new signings immediately picked up injuries so weren't available at the start of the season and have been struggling to get properly fit given the lack of game time. Maher, Green and Khan were some of the main transfer targets for Hurst and haven't been available until recently. Then McAtee got crocked in the first minutes of the season. I suppose the only thing which went for us is that we were lucky Taylor remained fit for the first few months because the lack of depth in that area is now stark.

We definitely need to be doing a bit better and less chopping and changing in midfield would help us settle, but without a settled forward line, I suspect we'll continue to see Hurst continue to move players in and out on a game by game basis.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 121
ginnywings
November 25, 2022, 11:24am

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from pontoonlew

Apart from 1-2, I haven’t really seen anybody moaning about the owners or even really the season so far. Many of the points are really valid and pretty well reasoned (kind of the point of a message board). There’s certainly nobody moaning about us not ‘running away with the league’.

Moaning, making a point, having an opinion, whatever you want to call it, there are more than 1 or 2  having a pop on here and certainly at the ground. Fans around me at BP are constantly saying how sh1t this player is and that player is, some of them absolutely apoplectic with rage at the Donny game and even worse, if that's possible, against Stevenage.  

One of the things I keep hearing is how sh1t the opposition are and we should be beating them easily at home.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 121
lew chaterleys lover
November 25, 2022, 11:37am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,761
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from ginnywings

Moaning, making a point, having an opinion, whatever you want to call it, there are more than 1 or 2  having a pop on here and certainly at the ground. Fans around me at BP are constantly saying how sh1t this player is and that player is, some of them absolutely apoplectic with rage at the Donny game and even worse, if that's possible, against Stevenage.  

One of the things I keep hearing is how sh1t the opposition are and we should be beating them easily at home.

Well that is plain daft if they are saying that. For a change of scenery I watched the Plymouth game in the Upper and it was very toxic in the area I was in I must say.

On here though we are just discussing the latest Stockwood statement which to some of us is a little underwhelming, whilst acknowledging the great work done so far.
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 121
ginnywings
November 25, 2022, 11:56am

Recovering Alcoholic

Well that is plain daft if they are saying that. For a change of scenery I watched the Plymouth game in the Upper and it was very toxic in the area I was in I must say.

On here though we are just discussing the latest Stockwood statement which to some of us is a little underwhelming, whilst acknowledging the great work done so far.

Yeah, I appreciate some posters are a bit underwhelmed and are using the forum to voice their concerns. No problem at all with that and most posters are measured in their comments as yourself and Pontoonlew are saying, but there seems to be an undercurrent of opinion that's leaning more toward outright criticism, especially at the ground.

Feels a bit like the honeymoon is over for some and they want more than is on offer currently. I'm quite happy where we are but my brother is not so happy, so I realise there are a range of opinions from the fanbase.

We're all Town at the end of the day.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 121
MuddyWaters
November 25, 2022, 12:58pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,288
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from ginnywings

Yeah, I appreciate some posters are a bit underwhelmed and are using the forum to voice their concerns. No problem at all with that and most posters are measured in their comments as yourself and Pontoonlew are saying, but there seems to be an undercurrent of opinion that's leaning more toward outright criticism, especially at the ground.

Feels a bit like the honeymoon is over for some and they want more than is on offer currently. I'm quite happy where we are but my brother is not so happy, so I realise there are a range of opinions from the fanbase.

We're all Town at the end of the day.

Wasn’t last night an attempt to dampen down expectations? It certainly did that for me, I don’t expect us to splash the cash on a much needed striker, I don’t expect the training ground any time soon and I expect that more money will be spent on ‘infrastructure’.
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 121
HerveJosse
November 25, 2022, 2:11pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,204
Gold Stars: 144
Quoted from aldi_01

I often wonder if people are just a bit dim. The minute a club owner/chairman come out and says what the budget is or gives a roundabout figure, you get exploited. It happened to Lincoln. Scunny splashed cash, it screwed them. Wrexham, for example, pay premium for bang average players and so far it has taken them absolutely no where.

There seems an incessant need to know everything simply because way back when they took over they talked about transparency. That’s great but don’t give away your secrets. There seems an incessant need to moan or pick fault.

Christ, we’ve got a thread comparing this time around to 2016. Who cares? We’re in the football league and we’re comfortable. Significantly, the club is further on and is progressing and the team is. You’d forget that teams have a bad spell. We played a team that’s spent most of the season in the top three and if it wasn’t for a urine poor penalty, we’d have beaten them…they were bang average.

Surely you take the positives? Isn’t it nice to get an update from the club at a reasonable time? Not 21:30 on a Sunday, Merlot sodden and incoherent and only just in English? Isn’t it refreshing to have an update about the club that isn’t a woe is me tirade of cliches and idioms that make zero sense?

So odd…

Are you Jason’s PR agent?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 121
ginnywings
November 25, 2022, 2:49pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Wasn’t last night an attempt to dampen down expectations? It certainly did that for me, I don’t expect us to splash the cash on a much needed striker, I don’t expect the training ground any time soon and I expect that more money will be spent on ‘infrastructure’.

I think that very much depends on what your expectations are versus what the boards expectations are.

They will have a plan that some will be happy to see and some won't. It's not like they have promised the earth, then failed to deliver. I think they have very much talked stability and steady growth since day one.

I'm ok with the progress, others including yourself and my brother aren't as much, and that's fine. All about opinions.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 121
13 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Stockwood Update

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.