December 27, 2022, 12:57pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.25
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,998
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from GtfcGarner
Need more quality in ASAP.
Heard that the new recruitment lad has identified new full-backs for the team as ours aren't good enough and Pauls been sitting on the fence about it...
Both was V.Poor on boxing day.

Reliable source or pub conversation ?

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 100
chaos33
December 27, 2022, 1:11pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,999
Gold Stars: 362
They weren’t very poor at all. Sure they weren’t perfect and maybe slips were costly, but you’re not going to get a flawless fullback! I thought Miche had a really good game and Amos was good going forward especially, causing a lot of problems. Both of our full backs were better than Harrogate’s and their right back was technically good (I think on loan from Hudds). I think a lot of talk here is really unrealistic in terms of players. Players at all levels right up to the very top will have flaws and make mistakes. I really feel, on balance, we’ve got good ones.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 100
ska face
December 27, 2022, 1:18pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,780
Gold Stars: 852
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Reliable source or pub conversation ?

GtfcGarner did well in last summer’s transfer window rumour thread, appears to be well-informed.
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 100
HertsGTFC
December 27, 2022, 1:29pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.25
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,998
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from ska face

GtfcGarner did well in last summer’s transfer window rumour thread, appears to be well-informed.

Let’s hope he has a striker tip off soon then 🤞

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 100
arryarryarry
December 27, 2022, 1:38pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,041
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from chaos33
They weren’t very poor at all. Sure they weren’t perfect and maybe slips were costly, but you’re not going to get a flawless fullback! I thought Miche had a really good game and Amos was good going forward especially, causing a lot of problems. Both of our full backs were better than Harrogate’s and their right back was technically good (I think on loan from Hudds). I think a lot of talk here is really unrealistic in terms of players. Players at all levels right up to the very top will have flaws and make mistakes. I really feel, on balance, we’ve got good ones.

Efete was in dream land for the first marking no one and as the player at the back post he should have seen their unmarked scorer and he was just frigging weak for their second. Not the first time he switches off defending, he may look good going forward but his priority is to defend.
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 100
pontoonlew
December 27, 2022, 2:44pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,091
Gold Stars: 178
Quoted from HarrogateMariner
Overall, I thought we did not play badly at all. We were certainly the better team but defensive errors cost us. I  have to say I did worry every time they went forward, one of those games were we never felt secure defensively. I never understand why managers don't make defensive subs when players are not playing well, think we should have seen Smith and Glennon on in the second half.
However, unlike some others I thought our midfield was very good and had control of the game for long periods. Thought Green and Holohan had good games,  but Clifton was my man of the match. He was everywhere, but I thought his quality on the ball was good as well. After some questioned if he was good enough for centre midfield, I think he now has to be first choice in that position. It helps we now have two hard working wingers who will track back so Clifton doesn't have to play wide. Kahn and Keirnan had good games as well for me, maybe more defensive than we would like but they contributed well.
As for McAtee, probably the worst game I have seen him have, but as highlighted by others it is not his position. Nothing came off for him.

I went with my brother in law who played at a good level and he reckoned McAtee stood out a country mile as being better than any other player. Said his first touch was fantastic, his vision good and often a step ahead of others.

He’s quite clearly not comfortable in that position, it’s a strange one because without anybody in front of him he struggles a bit pulling the trigger at the right time, he took shots when it wasn’t needed and messed up a couple of 1 v 1 opportunities (saved by Clifton for one).

He shouldn’t have been put into the position of playing out of position and we lose a bit of him because of it. He’s the best player we’ve had in many many years, we can’t afford to waste the last few months of him purely because we’re not capable of signing a striker.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 100
Madeleymariner
December 27, 2022, 3:40pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +23 / -15
Approval: +3,066
Gold Stars: 51
Main problem at about 70 mins we had 2 or 3 players looking a bit leggy especially McAtee, and the ball would not stick up front at all. You could see the equaliser coming for 10 mins before it did but as usual Hurst did nothing to change things till too late and then it just needed a bit of bad luck in added time to finish us off. Didn't think anyone played poorly but McAtee, Green and Kahn all needed replacing at 70 mins. I was really angry watching it unfold and knew what was going to happen. 3 points just tossed away.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 100
rancido
December 27, 2022, 5:14pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,653
Gold Stars: 101
Quoted from arryarryarry

Efete was in dream land for the first marking no one and as the player at the back post he should have seen their unmarked scorer and he was just frigging weak for their second. Not the first time he switches off defending, he may look good going forward but his priority is to defend.

IMHO you have highlighted one of Efetes' weaknesses, his tendancy to lose concentration when defending. He also gets caught out of position and ball watches, instead of man watching. Yes, he is athletic and can be effective in attack but his overall defending leaves a lot to be desired. I know this won't be a popular view but I also want a full back to be first and foremost a solid defender. He would be more effective as a wing-back in a back five but we don't play that formation.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 100
Mariner93er
December 27, 2022, 5:19pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +9 / -4
Approval: +4,736
Gold Stars: 28
I still don't see what Green offers if I'm being honest. He made a difference yesterday aerially but we might as well bring on an extra centre back for that job, they'd offer just as much technically. Halifax fans commented before that he's technically not the best and it's really showing.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 100
Northbank Mariner
December 27, 2022, 5:20pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,533
Gold Stars: 172
Quoted from rancido

IMHO you have highlighted one of Efetes' weaknesses, his tendancy to lose concentration when defending. He also gets caught out of position and ball watches, instead of man watching. Yes, he is athletic and can be effective in attack but his overall defending leaves a lot to be desired. I know this won't be a popular view but I also want a full back to be first and foremost a solid defender. He would be more effective as a wing-back in a back five but we don't play that formation.

Funny you say that, conversation with my lad yesterday we mentioned about going to a back 5, waterfall, maher and Smith as the 3 with glennon/amos as left wing backs and efete playing as a right wing back.
I'm sure we did that at Stockport (more by luck the judgement though)and look how that turned out!.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 100
11 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.