12 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next All Recommend Thread
Poojah
February 7, 2023, 9:21am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,767
Gold Stars: 1,509
Looking forward to tonight. I have to admit, I’ve developed a begrudging respect for Luton as a club. There was a time, not that long ago, that I really didn’t like them. When they were dícking about nicking Scott Neilson, and trying to pinch Marcus Marshall (before they’d read the transfer rule book) - there was an arrogance about them under Paul Buckle.

But they’ve done well, and in them, I see a bit of us. An unfashionable team in an unfashionable town, with an unfashionable ground. Clearly, if they are punching above their natural weight then we are punching below ours, but they give us a template to emulate.

Right now, they are a good team, a fúcking good team. It will be interesting to see what kind of changes they make; they are between big league games so it’s fair to expect them to make a good few. Regardless, this is a game that we could play 100 times and still lose 90, such is Luton’s depth of ability.

Yet, having said that, if we did somehow find a way to win tonight, it it would barely register on the scale of historic FA Cup shocks. There have been far bigger shocks this season alone; ask Aston Villa. We’ll be making changes of own, we know that. We’ll have plenty of fresh legs. It’s fúcking doable, y’know.

Our Paul isn’t perfect. We wouldn’t have him if he was. But if there’s one thing he’s good at it’s motivating players, getting them in the right frame of mind for big, one-off games. The play-offs tell you all you need to know about that. Town will be up for this. The fans need to be too. Make it uncomfortable. Make it really fúcking nasty.

A lot of money on the table. The kind of money that could be the catalyst for our medium-term future. Make no mistake, this is a huge game. In fact it’s bigger than that; it’s large.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 80 - 119
Abdul19
February 7, 2023, 9:21am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,607
Gold Stars: 219
Quoted from diehardmariner

I hope, for your sake, I'm wrong.  But I suspect that 7-day money back guarantee holds about as much credibility as an e-mail from a Nigerian prince.

I'm still waiting to hear back from Watchdog about my Iraqi Goals refund.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 81 - 119
Stew0_0
February 7, 2023, 9:46am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.45
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +1,193
Gold Stars: 35
Luton should be a blueprint for us to aspire too.  Was only 5/6 years ago we was both in the conference together, we are both a similar sized club when it comes to fan base and yet they are pushing for the premier league via the play offs.
Have to give them respect for that, but not too much until after tonight  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 82 - 119
Rick12
February 7, 2023, 9:46am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from Poojah

But they’ve done well, and in them, I see a bit of us. An unfashionable team in an unfashionable town, with an unfashionable ground. Clearly, if they are punching above their natural weight then we are punching below ours, but they give us a template to emulate.

Right now, they are a good team, a fúcking good team. It will be interesting to see what kind of changes they make; they are between big league games so it’s fair to expect them to make a good few. Regardless, this is a game that we could play 100 times and still lose 90, such is Luton’s depth of ability.

Our Paul isn’t perfect. We wouldn’t have him if he was. But if there’s one thing he’s good at it’s motivating players, getting them in the right frame of mind for big games. The play-offs tell you all you need to know about that. Town will be up for this. The fans need to be too. Make it uncomfortable. Make it really fúcking nasty.
Overall I like the post Poojah. I think though Luton are shading it in terms of success over Grimsby. They were playing top flight football in 1992 for one.

As for Paul Hurst has done some things right eg bought in some decent players in his tenure(s) here  but for motivation I think there are others better in the game. When I hear him speak in interview comes across as a bit bland at times.

As for the nastiness bit Iam all for competitiveness but hope the players can keep their emotions in check. Don't want to see rash tackles going in and players on both sides getting seriously injured. In the dog eat dog world of football this can and does happen.  

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 83 - 119
Poojah
February 7, 2023, 9:49am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,767
Gold Stars: 1,509
Quoted from Rick12
Overall I like the post Poojah. I think though Luton are shading it in terms of success over Grimsby. They were playing top flight football in 1992 for one.

As for Paul Hurst has done some things right eg bought in some decent players in his tenure(s) here  but for motivation I think there are others better in the game. When I hear him speak in interview comes across as a bit bland at times.

As for the nastiness bit Iam all for competitiveness but hope the players can keep their emotions in check. Don't want to see rash tackles going in and players on both sides getting seriously injured. In the dog eat dog world of football this can and does happen.  

Re: nastiness, I was speaking more in terms of the crowd (i.e. loud & rambunctious, not assaulting anyone). You’re not going to see a Paul Hurst set out to play that kind of game, but he’ll certainly have players running themselves into the ground. Of that I have no doubt.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 84 - 119
February 7, 2023, 10:02am
Guest User
Quoted from Poojah

Yet, having said that, if we did somehow find a way to win tonight, it it would barely register on the scale of historic FA Cup shocks. There have been far bigger shocks this season alone; ask Aston Villa. We’ll be making changes of own, we know that. We’ll have plenty of fresh legs. It’s fúcking doable, y’know.

Our Paul isn’t perfect. We wouldn’t have him if he was. But if there’s one thing he’s good at it’s motivating players, getting them in the right frame of mind for big, one-off games. The play-offs tell you all you need to know about that. Town will be up for this. The fans need to be too. Make it uncomfortable. Make it really fúcking nasty.

A lot of money on the table. The kind of money that could be the catalyst for our medium-term future. Make no mistake, this is a huge game. In fact it’s bigger than that; it’s large.

Definitely

I will plead with El General to spare you the firing squad for this insubordination. A win may save your hide.

Be LOUD. Or preferably VERY LOUD.

Luton will get 10+ times the amount by getting in the Prem for 1 season (parachute payments). They know that,

I can see this one happening ... just a touch of luck at the right time might do it.

UTM
Reply: 85 - 119
DB
February 7, 2023, 10:12am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.41
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,056
Gold Stars: 391
Quoted from 137

Definitely

I will plead with El General to spare you the firing squad for this insubordination. A win may save your hide.

Be LOUD. Or preferably VERY LOUD.

Luton will get 10+ times the amount by getting in the Prem for 1 season (parachute payments). They know that,

I can see this one happening ... just a touch of luck at the right time might do it.

UTM

And it's a WIN from me.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 86 - 119
Abdul19
February 7, 2023, 10:45am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,607
Gold Stars: 219
Quoted from Rick12

I'm guessing he doesn't always speak to the players like he speaks to John Tondeur though.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 87 - 119
jamesgtfc
February 7, 2023, 10:48am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,041
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from Stew0_0
Luton should be a blueprint for us to aspire too.  Was only 5/6 years ago we was both in the conference together, we are both a similar sized club when it comes to fan base and yet they are pushing for the premier league via the play offs.
Have to give them respect for that, but not too much until after tonight  

A bit out with your timings, time flies eh? We left there for the first time in 2016, almost 7 years ago! Luton got promoted from the NL in 2014, although we did play them in League 2 16/17 and 17/18. They went straight through League 1 in 18/19 and are currently in their 4th season in the Championship!
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 88 - 119
coddy60
February 7, 2023, 12:59pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +7 / -16
Approval: +656
Gold Stars: 13
Quoted from Rick12

He doesn't motivate the players during his pre/post match interviews
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 89 - 119
12 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Luton replay

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.