RonMariner
February 4, 2023, 8:26pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,818
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from forza ivano
As I said on another thread I hold my hands up!

Yes, both of them.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 100 - 107
lew chaterleys lover
February 4, 2023, 8:56pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,761
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from forza ivano
As I said on another thread I hold my hands up!

There is no need. If we all commented only after the event proved people right or wrong it wouldn't be half as much fun.

Its opinions that matter, whether they are right or wrong, or a bit of both, whether they are miles out or bang on the money.  
Private Message
Reply: 101 - 107
diehardmariner
February 4, 2023, 9:15pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,706
Gold Stars: 543
Quoted from ginnywings
As I thought, the incoming players looked to be better than the ones they replaced at first glance; not by a massive amount, but an improvement all the same. They weren't the fully formed, experienced players we were hoping for, except for Emmanuel and he's only here because he's working his way back to full fitness, but they looked to have a bit more than the young lads they replaced. Kiernan was hard working but limited and JMD was the opposite.

Today couldn't have gone much better, and it's not often we bring in a striker who scores on his debut, never mind two.

But let's not get carried away, we are still a work in progress and those better players we were hoping for will have to arrive in the summer now. We are likely to have days when we lose 3-0, so let's just have a bit of patience, get ourselves to 50 points as soon as possible and then see where we end up with this set of players.

We can then improve again in the summer.

This, in buckets.

Today was very encouraging, but Crewe were awful.

You can only beat what's in front of you and I saw plenty of positives in the performance.  McAtee back in his best position, Lloyd giving us the hold up play we've badly missed, a formation that seems to compliment our players and fits with a return to the high and energetic press we used to good effect earlier in the season, plus three promising debuts and suddenly having options galore to choose from.

Luton game is the focus now but it's straight back into with it thick and fast fixtures.  The next few weeks will quickly determine if we have anything to play for through Spring.
Private Message
Reply: 102 - 107
MuddyWaters
February 4, 2023, 9:50pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,288
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from grimsby pete
So Jason was right we will improve every window.

Well done to all the players today and Hursty for getting it right again.

Roll on Luton !!!!

Really enjoyed today Pete and I’m delighted to have seen us so dominant but, as good as we were, Crewe were absolute dogger. Let’s see how we go in the next couple of weeks. The reintroduction of Hunt and Morris shouldn’t be underestimated either.
Private Message
Reply: 103 - 107
Maringer
February 4, 2023, 10:13pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,674
Gold Stars: 189
A good sign if Morris is back to the form he was showing before his injury.

I can't believe how long it is since I've seen us play! A whole month without a home game. It's going to be a busy run in, that's for sure.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 104 - 107
Norseman
February 5, 2023, 12:08am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.45
Rep Score: +2 / -4
Approval: +277
Gold Stars: 48
Not sure it's necessarily the players he brings in rather the timings .In the last 2 windows he has brought in what most people believe are panic signings to make up numbers .Remember we only had 6 on the bench against Luton so people saw we needed numbers .It is obvious also if he had gotten his targets earlier in the window those signed on the last day would not be here .We all want success and given the past 20 years it doesn't take much to panic us
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 105 - 107
jamesgtfc
February 5, 2023, 12:44am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,041
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from Norseman
Not sure it's necessarily the players he brings in rather the timings .In the last 2 windows he has brought in what most people believe are panic signings to make up numbers .Remember we only had 6 on the bench against Luton so people saw we needed numbers .It is obvious also if he had gotten his targets earlier in the window those signed on the last day would not be here .We all want success and given the past 20 years it doesn't take much to panic us

The pool of players to pick from for league games is more than we have for cup games due to players being cup-tied so Luton last week did make our player situation look a little bit worse.

Back to the bare bones on Tuesday!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 106 - 107
February 5, 2023, 1:02am
Guest User
Lots of posters commenting on how poor Crewe were.

They were unbeaten in January (1W, 3D), and if you listen to their manager's post-match comments it's clear he and the
team felt they were 'on the up' coming into the game. He (Lee Bell) looked a bit shell-shocked in the interview, and twice
commented that Town looked "brighter" than them, and that we deserved the win.

My take is that we made them look rubbish, and our players deserve full credit for that performance - rather than we caught Crewe
on an off day. There are 6 teams below Crewe in the league, and Crewe have game(s) in hand on 5 of them.
I think we can leave the relegation worries to them...
Reply: 107 - 107
11 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Assessment

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.