11 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Recommend Thread
diehardmariner
February 2, 2023, 12:15pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,706
Gold Stars: 543
I'm just going to lie down and cry that Albert Adomah is 35!
Private Message
Reply: 80 - 107
HertsGTFC
February 2, 2023, 12:37pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.25
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,997
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from Maringer
Tony Rees, Neil Woods, Steve Livingstone - all good players who never scored many for us at all.

Kevin Donovan wasn't a striker, but his goals got us promoted one season. Groves managed more in a season than any of the three strikers mentioned.

It doesn't matter who scores the goals if you're doing well...

If Lloyd/Orsi/TDP/Taylor play well and we win, I really don't care if they score or not.

Trevor Whymark scored 16 goals in 93 games, he was a really good player too. What's that 1 in 4?

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 81 - 107
Maringer
February 2, 2023, 1:21pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,674
Gold Stars: 189
One in six! Whymark a bit before my time, I'm afraid.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 82 - 107
Limerick Mariner
February 2, 2023, 1:35pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,745
Gold Stars: 138
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Trevor Whymark scored 16 goals in 93 games, he was a really good player too. What's that 1 in 4?

And his contribution apart of goalscoring was outstanding - assists weren’t a thing then but he would have had loads - probably the best all round footballer to play for Town in the last 50 years - edging Drinks, Joe and Clive…
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 83 - 107
RonMariner
February 3, 2023, 9:13am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,818
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from Limerick Mariner

And his contribution apart of goalscoring was outstanding - assists weren’t a thing then but he would have had loads - probably the best all round footballer to play for Town in the last 50 years - edging Drinks, Joe and Clive…

If memory serves his first game was against Chelsea. He scored one and made one in a 2-0 win. He was obviously a class act. Well, it may not have been his first game, but it was the first time I saw him play.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 84 - 107
lew chaterleys lover
February 3, 2023, 9:33am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,761
Gold Stars: 237

Yes I would say he is the best player I have ever seen in a Town shirt since I started going in 1963.

That is a lot of players but he was an incredible player, just oozed class that came completely naturally and he never seemed to break sweat although he did so much to create goals besides scoring them.

He was coming to the end of his career then so no wonder Ipswich fans adore him having seen him in his pomp.

Private Message
Reply: 85 - 107
Rick12
February 3, 2023, 9:53am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from 123614

Cristiano Ronaldo - 37

Zlatan Ibrahimović - 41

To name just a few!  There are many more.

Listening to an interview with a current pro  footballer just the other night and he was talking about the need for discipline eg training right and living healthy . Makes sense. The body is a machine and the better you look after it chances are the longer it lasts.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 86 - 107
Limerick Mariner
February 3, 2023, 9:55am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,745
Gold Stars: 138

Yes I would say he is the best player I have ever seen in a Town shirt since I started going in 1963.

That is a lot of players but he was an incredible player, just oozed class that came completely naturally and he never seemed to break sweat although he did so much to create goals besides scoring them.

He was coming to the end of his career then so no wonder Ipswich fans adore him having seen him in his pomp.

Yes that’s it he was kind of like the forward version of Futch - his football brain was way ahead of the younger players buzzing around.

Me the other lads I went with just called him “hero” - first we’d ask if one is got into the Ponny a bit late - is hero playing…

And Chelsea was certainly his home debut, I think also his actual debut.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 87 - 107
DB
February 3, 2023, 10:18am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.41
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,055
Gold Stars: 391

I don't think we will see the likes of Whymark in a Town shirt again. Truly brilliant for us even though he was at the end of his career.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 88 - 107
TheultimateMariner
February 3, 2023, 10:31am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +3 / -3
Approval: +429
Gold Stars: 5
Quoted from Poojah
Well, I couldn’t post towards the latter end of last night as I apparently hit the Fishy’s arbitrary 50 post per day limit. Who knew? Anyway, I took that as the barman telling me I’d had enough to drink, and went to bed to sleep on matters.

A somewhat sleepless night as it happens, punctuated by psychedelic nightmares starring the ghosts of Andrew Dallas, Toby Mullarkey and Charles Vernam. They left me a message for Hursty, saying he needs to change his ways. A brief vision of poor Tiny Tom Hopper left me feeling very bleak.

A fair bit of emotion on display last night and this morning, it’s fair to say. Some foaming at the mouth at the short-term and seemingly austere nature of our January business, others urging for calm and to see the positives. Honestly, I can see both perspectives.

Of course there are positives. We are, somehow, back in the football league. Solihull might have Dallas, but they don’t have EFL status and probably won’t next season either. We’re still in the FA Cup. And yes, January isn’t really the best time to be making statement signings (though others around us arguably have).

Was yesterday the end of the world? Of course not. But “underwhelming” is a fair description. We are in the best financial position we have been in for nigh on 20 years, with surely one of the healthier organic incomes in the division. This, ultimately, is largely down to the thousands of people who forked out for season tickets in the summer, all in the face of a cost of living crisis. There is an understandable sense of investment.

What happened in May and June may well turn out to be a once in a lifetime event. An utterly incredible sequence of events that we would have to come down from eventually, but for me the squad we have right now simply does not reflect our current financial status. The number 9 shirt, one we so obviously needed to fill, remains vacant. And with that, we reduce the value of what is left of McAtee’s loan.

We have just 9 senior players contracted beyond the summer. The opportunity to make the closed season a period of smooth transition appears to have been lost.

I have no doubt that all concerned have tried incredibly hard, and the signings we have made may well go on to make valuable contributions. Emmanuel in particular could turn out to be a very clever signing (assuming we have an option on his contract), though little is known as to what kind of condition he is in.

All that said, from the outside looking in, we don’t look to have managed the window well. We’ve missed out on key targets, and that happens, but we also appear to have missed out on our third and fourth choices too. We have failed to address the most obvious gap in the squad, and we have let more players leave than have arrived which seems counter-intuitive given the fixture pileup that lays ahead.

All in all, there is little value in spin. I suspect those at the club are just as disappointed with the way things have turned out. Whether that’s anyone’s fault or just an unfortunate symptom of circumstance, questions need to be asked and issues addressed before we get to the summer.

I don’t write that with any anger whatsoever, but rather objective, sober reflection. The club will not evolve if we continue to recruit in this way, and that’s an opportunity we cannot afford to lose.

Onwards and upwards.

Very well spoken. Recruitment (on the face of it) is clearly not up to the standard it needs to be if we want to improve every window. However, I don’t think it’s the end of the world, and think we certainly have enough in our locker to stay up.
I do feel as though it’s a missed opportunity to push on with all the fixtures that lie ahead, and do also think that questions need to be asked at the fans forum, albeit in a constructive manner, and not just borderline abusive.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 89 - 107
11 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Assessment

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.