Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back  (merged)
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 149 Guests

Just Back  (merged)

This thread currently has 7,575 views. Print
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
GtfcGarner
February 18, 2023, 6:21pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +30 / -14
Approval: +1,794
Gold Stars: 26
Just back to Derby...
What a fantastic vintage away performance from the Black & Whites. Nearly tore my hair out at how atrocious the officials where and was seething with their first goal which seems to have been more than a yard out of play. We looked slow and generally like we was dominated in possession and physically. Got shafted again with the most blatent penalty call you will see all season.

Credit to Paul he made the subs at half time and it changed the game. McAtee had two chances which where a whisker away in the first 5/10 mins of second half and then it went flat and I thought Northampton where going to shut up shop and take the 1-0 win. First time I've ever seen Emmanuel playing and although looked uncomfortable at right back in the second half you can tell he's miles above this level with his second half display and crossing ability. Echo what others have said about Waterfall, MOTM today and was unlucky not to have a clean sheet as he headed/kicked everything near him, absolutely lovely to see him thriving with confidence and between him and Harry for POTY I think. Another note on George Lloyd - absolutely ran his socks off for 45 mins and never let the defenders have a second.

I think that with a digging performance like that we won't be in a relegation dog-fight but it's clear that in the summer we need a few new midfielders that can grab hold of a game by the neck and dominate as I think today we was a little poor and slow in passing/getting forward. Not to dwell on what is a positive day today though and I'm proud and had a grin as wide as my face driving home..

Paul Hurst with the sh!thousing at the end aswell gave me a rye smile.

Enjoy your evening Mariners.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 48
PB
February 18, 2023, 6:30pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +1 / -1
Approval: +256
Gold Stars: 3

I agree with other summaries but must add two points of amusement. Walking back to the car the home fans were largely saying that ‘we just wanted it more’ and from the players’ reaction at the end, it was obvious that we did.
I must agree re the ref. He was such a ‘homer’ from the off, and remained consistently bad throughout even booking Glennon at the end for scoring the winner 😊  He was so weird he even used his spray to draw a 5 yard circle around a drop ball restart?!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 48
HertsGTFC
February 18, 2023, 7:25pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.25
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,997
Gold Stars: 228
Pleased for Glennon today I think he’s finding establishing himself in senior football a bit of a challenge and has at times had a bumpy learning curve, but the lads got heart and talent so he’ll progress for sure.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 48
lukeo
February 18, 2023, 7:34pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,405
Gold Stars: 149
Agree with everything Hagrid said.

Few things I'll add :

Emmanuel was 100% better and so much more effective at wing back and put in 2 beautiful crosses for our goals! Efete I felt came on and slotted in very well and I felt.had a very good game. Have to agree Waterfall was emense. Even at 1-0 Waterfall was engaging with his players and motivating.

On Northampton : I felt they were poor today. All they did was hoof. Which is crazy as I rate both their strikers and can see why (when they don't just smash the ball up anywhere) they score a fair few. Their winger was rapid aswell.

Anyway, fantastic result. Utm
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 48
lukeo
February 18, 2023, 7:38pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,405
Gold Stars: 149
Apologies my post is poorly written very tired.

1 last thing.. Referee was awful, both fans booing says it all. I've also seen the handball incident on video, how did he miss that!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 48
Son of Cod
February 18, 2023, 7:48pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.92
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,331
Gold Stars: 196
Can't be bothered to dissect that match right now really but absolutely class in the away end that, really needed that after Gillingham. UTM.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 48
The Caterham Mariner
February 18, 2023, 8:02pm
Exile and Proud..
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.49
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +92
Gold Stars: 8
Quoted from Hagrid
Sofa…

Typical Town! doom and gloom, go 1-0 down, against Promotion contenders, go and win it. We’re so frustratingly inconsistent but i’ll take it.

Didnt feel we deserved to be behind in 1st half, switched off badly for their goal, and were punished, had chances ourselves didnt take them and were denied a very clear penalty.

2nd half 2 Substitutions from the man who doesnt make any before 70 mins ( supposedly) Efete and Lloyd on. It gave emannuel the freedom down that right hand side,  first 5 of the half aside we didnt create much and Northampton did seem to be in control but then Emanuel did brilliantly down the right hand side and put a lovely ball into the box for Waterfall to power home, i hoped we wouldnt sit back and to our credit we didnt, with O Neil coming on in an attacking move, and then replay in the 92nd minute, Emmanuel ball in, and glennon of all people to head it home. Ref tried to give us heart failure with going 3 minutes over the 6 added, but we hung on just and its 3 deserved points

Credit to Paul and the side, Mcatee had a good game but Waterfall my clear man of the match

Totally  agreed!!
Having been at the Gilliingham game where we lose 2-1 . Today 2nd half game a different kettle of fish
The Ref needs to revise the rule book for one .
Waterfall excellent as you say MOTM.
I thought  at 1-0 to Northampton  we were going to fold in , No we  stepped up a gear  and pulled a win out the bag .
A nice drive home cheers GTFC.
UTM

An Exile and Proud  !! UTM
Mariners Trust Life Member.
In the words of my Uncle Fred "You can take the man outta of Grimsby BUT  you can't take the Grimsby!  Out the man!"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 48
aldi_01
February 18, 2023, 8:16pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Earlier on in this post i mentioned that judging on Manny’s poor first half it was likely the system and him being out of position that was the issue…I feel completely vindicated judging by his second half performance.

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 48
forza ivano
February 18, 2023, 8:18pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,282
Gold Stars: 266
typical Town, fully expected to lose 2.0 and then we turn in a performance like that.
we played really well for the first 15 then decided to stop defending and give them a goal. Might as well have called for h.t. after 30 mins coz no team was interested
half time formation switch worked really well, although felt immensely sorry for Orsi who  hadn't done much wrong. he doesn't fit in here i'm afraid - suspect he will eventually get to the right club n score a bucket full of goals
looked much more comfortable/threatening 2nd half, with emmanuel finding his mojo. he definitely wont be with us next year!
don't want to be a party pooper but thought maher struggled today with the offensive part of his game, although to be fair, there was an awful lot of urine poor play from both sides.
a deserved win and don't think I've ever seen PH so pumped up
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 48
TownSNAFU5
February 18, 2023, 8:35pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,907
Gold Stars: 42
From memory, we should have beaten Northampton at home?  We were unlucky,  I think their scorer today scored a late goal from a narrow angle,  

What goes around, comes around.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 48
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back  (merged)

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.