Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back  (merged)
Users Browsing Forum
AdSense, Googlebot and 175 Guests

Just Back  (merged)

This thread currently has 7,574 views. Print
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
TownSNAFU5
February 19, 2023, 12:38am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,907
Gold Stars: 42

A Cobblers fan on the BBC site:

“Emmanuel’s 2 assists were sublime.  And the Mariners vocal support was the loudest at Sixfields this season”.

We were good both on and off the pitch. The support was incredible, given our poor run of form.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 48
lukeo
February 19, 2023, 6:20am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,405
Gold Stars: 149
Quoted from TownSNAFU5

“Emmanuel’s 2 assists were sublime.  And the Mariners vocal support was the loudest at Sixfields this season”.

We were good both on and off the pitch. The support was incredible, given our poor run of form.

It's funny because in truth I felt we (the fans) have been so much better and louder. I guess that's high expectations from what is a truly magnificent set of fans. Well done to everyone that travelled, fantastic numbers.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 48
RonMariner
February 19, 2023, 10:02am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,818
Gold Stars: 226
Terrific atmosphere in the away end.  I also enjoyed some good banter with Northampton fans before and after the game. Which is as it should be. True football fans wanting their team to win but respecting each other. One Cobblers fan spoke to me on the way to the car park and said we deserved the win and that we were better team on the day.

My opinion is that both teams were pretty poor at times, needlessly giving the ball away and we seemed to be constantly kicking into touch at one stage.

It was a fairly even game. They had a their best spell in the first half of the second half after McAtee's two attempts at goal. They did look good for a while then, but otherwise there was really nothing between the sides. It may be that they had a bit of an off day, but given that Northampton are fourth in the table, you have to say that we don't seem a mile away from them in terms of quality even though we were not at our best either.

The guy in the ticket booth told me he had seen Ben Fox on crutches in the morning. Looks like he may had done his achilles, and could be out for the rest of the season. He said he had been their best player so far this season. I asked him about the rumours that he was on £5k a week. He said definitely not. They had one player on £4k, (not Fox) and most of the rest were on between £2k to £2,5k a week so he thought Fox would be on less than £3k a week. Which makes you wonder what our offer was to him.    
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 48
buckstown
February 19, 2023, 10:22am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +16 / -6
Approval: +5,239
Gold Stars: 79
Forgot to mention Owen Gallagher last night. Clearly not fully match fit, in fact he looked like he was blowing in the warm up. However, I thought he had a decent debut and PH may just have uncovered a good one. Has some pace and strength so hopefully he'll make a good contribution for the rest of the season
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 48
February 19, 2023, 10:24am
Guest User
Quoted from buckstown
Forgot to mention Owen Gallagher last night. Clearly not fully match fit, in fact he looked like he was blowing in the warm up. However, I thought he had a decent debut and PH may just have uncovered a good one. Has some pace and strength so hopefully he'll make a good contribution for the rest of the season

Was just going to ask about him.
Reply: 34 - 48
Limerick Mariner
February 19, 2023, 10:28am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,745
Gold Stars: 138
Quoted from RonMariner
Terrific atmosphere in the away end.  I also enjoyed some good banter with Northampton fans before and after the game. Which is as it should be. True football fans wanting their team to win but respecting each other. One Cobblers fan spoke to me on the way to the car park and said we deserved the win and that we were better team on the day.

My opinion is that both teams were pretty poor at times, needlessly giving the ball away and we seemed to be constantly kicking into touch at one stage.

It was a fairly even game. They had a their best spell in the first half of the second half after McAtee's two attempts at goal. They did look good for a while then, but otherwise there was really nothing between the sides. It may be that they had a bit of an off day, but given that Northampton are fourth in the table, you have to say that we don't seem a mile away from them in terms of quality even though we were not at our best either.

The guy in the ticket booth told me he had seen Ben Fox on crutches in the morning. Looks like he may had done his achilles, and could be out for the rest of the season. He said he had been their best player so far this season. I asked him about the rumours that he was on £5k a week. He said definitely not. They had one player on £4k, (not Fox) and most of the rest were on between £2k to £2,5k a week so he thought Fox would be on less than £3k a week. Which makes you wonder what our offer was to him.    

Probably similar, but (without wanting to reopen a 300 page thread) location would have been a factor.

He was amazing in the play-offs for us and I'd wish him well with his injury, but he does seem a bit prone in that respect, unlike (touching wood) one of our own. Think I'd rather have our own...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 48
The Caterham Mariner
February 19, 2023, 10:33am
Exile and Proud..
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.49
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +92
Gold Stars: 8
Quoted from TownSNAFU5

Credit to the travelling  faithful nice to hear it from someone the otherside the fence!
UTM

An Exile and Proud  !! UTM
Mariners Trust Life Member.
In the words of my Uncle Fred "You can take the man outta of Grimsby BUT  you can't take the Grimsby!  Out the man!"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 48
forza ivano
February 19, 2023, 11:00am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,282
Gold Stars: 266
Quoted from buckstown

yeah, it wasn't a 'wow' debut by any means but he worked hard and didn't look out of place. Surprised how he struggled with the fitness, as I thought he's played quite a few games this season

ps anyone else notice O'Neill's hilariously bad cameo? - he manged to stand on the ball, have a couple of clearances that he completely missed and the other 3 or 4 touches were all shanks!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 48
TownSNAFU5
February 19, 2023, 11:21am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,907
Gold Stars: 42
Pleased to see that our win also got the recognition and coverage in the papers today that it deserved.

The Sunday Times only had one photo in its reports of Div 1 and Div 2 matches.  They rightly picked Luke Waterfall for this honour. 🤙

They also started their coverage of  Div 2 with our win, which was also the longest report.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 48
Limerick Mariner
February 19, 2023, 11:33am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,745
Gold Stars: 138
Quoted from TownSNAFU5
Pleased to see that our win also got the recognition and coverage in the papers today that it deserved.

The Sunday Times only had one photo in its reports of Div 1 and Div 2 matches.  They rightly picked Luke Waterfall for this honour. 🤙

They also started their coverage of  Div 2 with our win, which was also the longest report.

Due to the early kick off, the journo reels off the lower leagues report early and gets to the pub. The sports editor probably was a bit miffed - “where’s your report on Wrexham’s injury time winner?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 48
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back  (merged)

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.