lew chaterleys lover
February 26, 2023, 12:50pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,761
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from Poojah

There’s clearly been a desire from the opposition to diffuse the Emmanuel threat, given the way he completely took the píss out Southampton. What that has done has made things far more open down the left.

Whilst we failed to exploit that against Harrogate, it was certainly fruitful yesterday with the first goal and penalty coming from that side, and the mistake for the second goal coming with their right back forced to go backwards.

I must have overslept. Did we beat Southampton then? Quarter final at last!
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 76
pontoonlew
February 26, 2023, 12:55pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,091
Gold Stars: 178
I have a feeling Emmanuel is the key to us having any chance of winning on Wednesday
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 76
headingly_mariner
February 26, 2023, 1:03pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,394
Gold Stars: 120
I must be seeing different games to other people because I've thought Efete has slotted in really well at CB. Always surprises me how good he is in the air. Thought he struggled with the first goal but it was a nice finish.

The 2nd goal Waterfall should've dealt with.

Seems to be people are fairly keen to get on his case as soon as he makes a mistake, because his recent form has been strong and he's played lots of minutes in different positions.
I'm always a little cautious of stats, but didn't one of those Twitter data things have him as one of the highest performing right backs in the division?

I also think his game compliments Emmanuel's really well and allows him to get forward. I think he will start Wednesday as well, his pace will be vital.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 76
rancido
February 26, 2023, 1:06pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,653
Gold Stars: 100
Quoted from Poojah

There’s clearly been a desire from the opposition to diffuse the Emmanuel threat, given the way he completely took the píss out Southampton. What that has done has made things far more open down the left.

Whilst we failed to exploit that against Harrogate, it was certainly fruitful yesterday with the first goal and penalty coming from that side, and the mistake for the second goal coming with their right back forced to go backwards.

All the more reason to use the Maher/Glennon partnership on the left. Maher seems comfortable and competent in attacking down the left with support from Glennon or visa versa. Give the opposition two wings to worry about as opposed to one.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 76
MuddyWaters
February 26, 2023, 1:18pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,288
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from pontoonlew

I don’t think it’s a case of ‘having it in’ for him yesterday. Efete has had more encouragement than most recently after his pretty poor start to the season, people have been actively willing him to do well. Yesterday though he was very poor for the first goal and not much better for the second. Emmanuel is a huge improvement on him as it stands and I don’t think it’s long before Smith steps into that back 3.

Agree with this - Efete took a backward step on both goals yesterday, much as Crocombe's kick (for the first) and Waterfall's poor pass (for the second) were also significant factors.

I think Efete is a better wing back than in a back 3, he's just not as good as Emmanuel.
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 76
forza ivano
February 26, 2023, 3:27pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,282
Gold Stars: 266
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Agree with this - Efete took a backward step on both goals yesterday, much as Crocombe's kick (for the first) and Waterfall's poor pass (for the second) were also significant factors.

I think Efete is a better wing back than in a back 3, he's just not as good as Emmanuel.

given that Efete is having his 2nd year as a pro and his first in the F.L. then I think it's fair to say he's a work in progress, compared to Emmanuel who's a seasoned pro and is obviously destined for a much higher level next season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 76
ginnywings
February 26, 2023, 4:06pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from Maringer
I don't think Efete was much at fault for the second goal. It was mostly Waterfall's fluffed backpass which was the issue for that one which put us on the back foot. I can forgive him, however, as he had just taken a whack in the face and was probably still a bit wobbly.

No idea what Efete was doing for the first, however, as there was no attempt to close down the striker, even though he slipped, and he had acres of space to regain his footing, turn and put his shot in. It was a bit bizarre, really. Like we suddenly forgot how to defend.

Said this at the time. He seemed to be all over the place for a while.

Looked well out of position when the move happened. Over to the left and quite far forward to his normal slot.

Their player hit the goal scoring shot from about where Waterfall would normally be.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 76
Poojah
February 26, 2023, 8:53pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,767
Gold Stars: 1,509

I must have overslept. Did we beat Southampton then? Quarter final at last!

I was, of course, referring to our recent victory in south east Northampton. That said, I did have a very, very vivid dream of us playing at Spurs, away in the quarter final, the other night.

I was sat in a prime spot on the front row of the middle tier, though it had been constructed with blancmange, and therefore lacked the structural integrity one might expect from a £1 billion arena. We had Piers Morgan up front with Dr Karl Kennedy playing the role of mezzala just behind (I know that detail, because that was the specific directive given to him by Hursty in the Baton Rouge before the game), whilst I seemed to alternate between my seat in the gloopy middle tier and left back.

I didn’t manage to take note of the final score as Peter Gabriel needed me to help him fix his car at half-time which, believe me, took a good while since it’s hard to get hold of a replacement timing belt for a 1986 Saab 900 in the middle of Rotherham during lambing season.

Fortunately, a guy I worked with for a couple of months in 2008 rocked up with the necessary part and I made it back to the ground only to find it had turned into my house and my wife was in the bath doing crochet with Peaches Geldof and Dorien from 90s sitcom Birds of a Feather.

I can’t guarantee that’s exactly how things are going to pan out, but if you’ve got time to remortgage your house and lump it on a Town win on Wednesday night, frankly I think you’d be mental not to.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 76
lew chaterleys lover
February 26, 2023, 8:57pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,761
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from Poojah

I was, of course, referring to our recent victory in south east Northampton. That said, I did have a very, very vivid dream of us playing at Spurs, away in the quarter final, the other night.

I was sat in a prime spot on the front row of the middle tier, though it had been constructed with blancmange, and therefore lacked the structural integrity one might expect from a £1 billion arena. We had Piers Morgan up front with Dr Karl Kennedy playing the role of mezzala just behind (I know that detail, because that was the specific directive given to him by Hursty in the Baton Rouge before the game), whilst I seemed to alternate between my seat in the gloopy middle tier and left back.

I didn’t manage to take note of the final score as Peter Gabriel needed me to help him fix his car at half-time which, believe me, took a good while since it’s hard to get hold of a replacement timing belt for a 1986 Saab 900 in the middle of Rotherham during lambing season.

Fortunately, a guy I worked with for a couple of months in 2008 rocked up with the necessary part and I made it back to the ground only to find it had turned into my house and my wife was in the bath doing crochet with Peaches Geldof and Dorien from 90s sitcom Birds of a Feather.

I can’t guarantee that’s exactly how things are going to pan out, but if you’ve got time to remortgage your house and lump it on a Town win on Wednesday night, frankly I think you’d be mental not to.

I had a feeling that is what you meant.
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 76
Heisenberg
February 26, 2023, 8:58pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +5,103
Gold Stars: 95
Quoted from Poojah

I hate to spoil your wet dream, Poojah, but it isn’t happening. Peaches Geldof is brown bread, for starters. I’m sure you’re aware of that, but it ruins the chances of it all playing out.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 76
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.