The Yard Dog
March 15, 2023, 8:03pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +14 / -2
Approval: +3,516
Gold Stars: 74
Quoted from FishOutOfWater

Today would have been my dad's birthday and our current run has had my head all over the place thinking about what he would have made of our current situation

He got me in to supporting Town and while I never saw them play at the level he did ( he was at that Old Trafford semi final ) he instilled one thing in me....

Grimsby Til I Die..... and maybe beyond in a Black & White heaven 🖤🤍🖤

Maybe like your dad, you might get to see Town in the semi-final.

RIP all past mariners fans.

Enjoy the view from above.

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 38
aldi_01
March 15, 2023, 11:09pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Pride, a funny thing really. I’m always proud to say I’m from Grimsby, I’m always proud to say I’m a town fan.

However, over the last 20/25 years I’ve not been proud of things the club have done. I’ve not been proud of the way we played, the lacklustre performances, the unprofessional professionals stealing a living. The disregard for fans, our place in the league. The list is endless.

But when I think about pride, when I think about town, even in the dark days I was proud. I just think the degree of pride varies.

We played a league game last night, I’m buzzing we won, but for once, I didn’t care. Sunday is our day. It’s there for the taking and under the stewardship of Hurst, I give us a chance. And dya know what? Even if we get tonked, I know we’ll fight for everything and give our all. We’ll all be proud. This is a different pride, a pride and sense of excitement, anticipation and joy we all deserve. It’s different to a playoff final in so much that the pressure is different.

We’ll all be proud, we’ll all be singing our hearts out as the team trot out…it’ll be one of those moments. Moments, that as a lower league fan you dream about, you cherish…they don’t come around very often…

So yeh, I’m proud to be a town fan every single day but right now, the pride is off the scale…I’d imagine it is and will be for every single fan. Who knows, we might win. Perhaps getting to the semi final will be more fun than playing it…who knows.

This is our time. Enjoy it. Savour it. Embrace it. Remember, had it or been for some kamikaze defending, we’d be in the conference. We wouldn’t be here, we wouldn’t be having all this.

We should all be proud. Happy. Excited…

Spare a thought for one man; the past was yours, but the futures mine, the futures ours John…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 38
HertsGTFC
March 16, 2023, 8:01am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.25
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,997
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from aldi_01
Pride, a funny thing really. I’m always proud to say I’m from Grimsby, I’m always proud to say I’m a town fan.

However, over the last 20/25 years I’ve not been proud of things the club have done. I’ve not been proud of the way we played, the lacklustre performances, the unprofessional professionals stealing a living. The disregard for fans, our place in the league. The list is endless.

But when I think about pride, when I think about town, even in the dark days I was proud. I just think the degree of pride varies.

We played a league game last night, I’m buzzing we won, but for once, I didn’t care. Sunday is our day. It’s there for the taking and under the stewardship of Hurst, I give us a chance. And dya know what? Even if we get tonked, I know we’ll fight for everything and give our all. We’ll all be proud. This is a different pride, a pride and sense of excitement, anticipation and joy we all deserve. It’s different to a playoff final in so much that the pressure is different.

We’ll all be proud, we’ll all be singing our hearts out as the team trot out…it’ll be one of those moments. Moments, that as a lower league fan you dream about, you cherish…they don’t come around very often…

So yeh, I’m proud to be a town fan every single day but right now, the pride is off the scale…I’d imagine it is and will be for every single fan. Who knows, we might win. Perhaps getting to the semi final will be more fun than playing it…who knows.

This is our time. Enjoy it. Savour it. Embrace it. Remember, had it or been for some kamikaze defending, we’d be in the conference. We wouldn’t be here, we wouldn’t be having all this.

We should all be proud. Happy. Excited…

Spare a thought for one man; the past was yours, but the futures mine, the futures ours John…

Love this post Aldi, completely agree with the sentiment.  

As for Sunday games hinge on pivotal moments, there were quite a few on show at St Mary’s. This Hurst side has benefited from several in big games …

- Clifton getting fouled on the edge of the box during injury time at Notts
- Efete getting injured and Cropper coming in brining his “added value” of a throw, which definitely gave Wrexham a sense of karma after Tozer had used similar all season.
- Somone having the calmness not to take a quick throw on the left in the final but getting Cropper to come across and find Dallas for the flick on … “scenes & limbs” followed.

There’s more you could pin point and who knows a pivotal moment could decide Sunday, if it’s in favour of Town again it would be off the scale, if it’s against us then so what all that does is close another completely brilliant chapter of a story book for Hurst & this group which is in my belief far from finished.

UTM!

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 38
wuffing
March 16, 2023, 8:12am

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.40
Rep Score: +7 / -1
Approval: +851
Gold Stars: 40
you must all stop now......I'm welling up....

'I walked in the dressing room. The window was open and I thought that a sea fret had got in. Then I saw smoke billowing from a pipe in the corner of the room...it was my centre-forward. He looked seven stone wet through. He went on to score thirty-odd goals that season.' Lawrie McMenemy on encountering the legend that was Matt Tees.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 38
The red and grey98
March 17, 2023, 9:45am
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Approval: +13
Gold Stars: 1
On this mornings school run, red nose day thing.
Town tops & colours absolutely dominated,  only one prem top. How things have changed. That made me bloody proud.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 38
mariner91
March 17, 2023, 10:02am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,748
Gold Stars: 262
Quoted from The red and grey98
Town tops & colours absolutely dominated,  only one prem top. How things have changed. That made me bloody proud.

And that bodes incredibly well for the future.

I know it's highly unlikely....but just imagine we did the impossible on Sunday....
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 38
Rodley Mariner
March 17, 2023, 10:03am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,258
Gold Stars: 178
Quoted from mariner91

And that bodes incredibly well for the future.

I know it's highly unlikely....but just imagine we did the impossible on Sunday....

Time to dream mate! We all know it probably won't but for the next 48 hours it is all about 'just imagine if it did'.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 38
jamesgtfc
March 17, 2023, 10:21am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,041
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from The red and grey98

My kids school are so boring. Didn't dress up for World Book Day, absolutely nothing about Comic Relief. My kids have been unable to attend on every strike day so far.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 38
Mayaman
March 17, 2023, 10:49am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.92
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +3,422
Gold Stars: 74
Would be nice to celebrate a goal at least.   I hope we have a go at 'em   I will be in a pub so any watery eyes will be down to the cigarette smoke.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 38
immariner
March 17, 2023, 12:07pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +3,414
Gold Stars: 61
Since I've been supporting Town from 2000/01 I've never known everyone to feel so engaged with the football club. Could never quite understand how we were only getting 4/5000 in the Championship (first division as was). So despite being mostly shite for 20 years and a whole generation of fans under 25 not able to remember when we were half decent, it's quite amazing that we're now pulling 6000+ regularly in division 4. It's ace being a Town supporter right now and I've not felt like that in a very long time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 38
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Pride

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.