5 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 All Recommend Thread
MuddyWaters
March 25, 2023, 5:35pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,288
Gold Stars: 236
Another frustrating home game, McAtee made some shocking decisions, Efete made some strange passes after he’d glided past a couple, Morris very tidy, lovely goal and Lloyd once again ran his backside off.

70 minutes in, several looking knackered and we still wait another 15 minutes to make a change. No point saying the players are tired when you don’t use what’s available.
Private Message
Hagrid
March 25, 2023, 5:40pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,485
Gold Stars: 536
Mcatee was frustratingly greedy. We had the chances, we didnt take them.

Found the non-use of subs odd. Another game- like wednesday- we should have won
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 44
Swansea_Mariner
March 25, 2023, 5:41pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,468
Gold Stars: 63
Thought it was a good watch myself, both teams going for it which made for an exciting game.

Agree on the subs I thought we needed to freshen it up much earlier. Amos and Morris were excellent for me, it just didn't quite fall or work for McAtee today although the effort was definitely there.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 44
moosey_club
March 25, 2023, 5:41pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,304
Gold Stars: 227
Ultimately a very frustrating afternoon.....should have won at a canter...2 maybe 3 headers inside the box second half...Mcatee conspiring to waste some good opportunities  with wrong decisions.
Lack of subs again when the front 3 were looking devoid of ideas for most of the second half...far too late at 85 mins.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 44
Mayaman
March 25, 2023, 5:49pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.92
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +3,421
Gold Stars: 74
An entertaining game with both sides playing some good football.  Lloyd ran himself into the ground.   Beat his man when he shouldn't have int he first half and pulled back for Taylor who seemed to think he's already done his job.  McAtee constantly going for the sublime when the ridiculously simple ball would have done.  The easiest pass to Efete would have put him in on goal.  Scrappy goal to concede because we couldn't clear our lines.  Morris was superb.  Some quality long balls and mopping up after others' mistakes, capped by a well-struck goal. Amos who had a good game, was dead on his feet at the end. Needed fresh legs, not sure why the subs didn't come on.  I am confused about Scannel and his disappearance from the squad.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 44
DB
March 25, 2023, 5:51pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.41
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,056
Gold Stars: 391
Quoted from Mayaman
An entertaining game with both sides playing some good football.  Lloyd ran himself into the ground.   Beat his man when he shouldn't have int he first half and pulled back for Taylor who seemed to think he's already done his job.  McAtee constantly going for the sublime when the ridiculously simple ball would have done.  The easiest pass to Efete would have put him in on goal.  Scrappy goal to concede because we couldn't clear our lines.  Morris was superb.  Some quality long balls and mopping up after others' mistakes, capped by a well-struck goal. Amos who had a good game, was dead on his feet at the end. Needed fresh legs, not sure why the subs didn't come on. I am confused about Scannel and his disappearance from the squad.

In the post match JT asked Hurst about this. The answer was  that the system he started to play was changed which didn't suit Scannel.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 44
Spurn boy
March 25, 2023, 5:52pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +1,264
Gold Stars: 30
I found today’s game got increasingly frustrating the longer it went on, we played so well and deserved the goal even if the corner kick was poor. After we had scored we just got so nervous and started playing like a different team and think the players just eased off. Poor play from Amos to concede the corner that resulted in their goal and from that moment they gained confidence. Not sure about our formation as 3 up front causes a bit of confusion between them and maybe replacing Taylor with Hunt or Clifton with 20 minutes to go might have been an option. Disappointed with some of Mcatee’s decision making today and Efete was so good but so bad at the same time. Both Green and Morris joint MOM for me but I’m disappointed with the result as I thought 3 points was coming our way when we scored. UTM

Dead Eye Dobbin stood motionless waiting, waiting, waiting for the ball to arrive. Back came the right foot, Down came the right foot, Bang ! Headlines around the world as the ball flew into the very top right hand corner of the goal.( Jim Dobbin scoring in the 89th minute for Town against Newcastle United away 24/10/1992 )
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 44
LH
March 25, 2023, 5:55pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,605
Gold Stars: 175
Two points dropped imo - should have been well ahead at half time. Good finish from Morris, chaotic goal for them but it’s not as if we didn’t have the chances to put the game to bed. I think Maher and their keeper can both be thankful the ref had no idea what he was doing today. We need to sign Lloyd permanently.
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 44
paramariner
March 25, 2023, 6:04pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +197
Gold Stars: 8
Shocked that there's hardly any mention of how dire the Ref was today.  I know it's become expected at almost every game, but that guy today was abysmal
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 44
It Bites
March 25, 2023, 6:14pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.46
Rep Score: +4 / -10
Approval: +2,208
Gold Stars: 266
I've enjoyed the last 2 games . Both good games of football with all 3 teams lacking in the final 3rd .
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 44
gtfc_chris
March 25, 2023, 6:23pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.48
Rep Score: +10 / 0
Approval: +1,511
Gold Stars: 116
I think today followed the narrative of pretty much every home game this season.... frustrating.

Overall, a draw I think was a fair result on both teams. We looked fantastic up until the goal and then everything fell apart. I say fell apart, a fairer comment would be we stopped doing what had worked in the first 20 minutes, but its developing into a theme.

Walsall, much as they were a worthy opponent after the goal didn't really lay a glove on us in terms of creating chances from open play that had us worried. A corner - and most corners they had - were our only source of concern, they were otherwise toothless.

I've been a critic of Morris in recent weeks but I thought he had a good game today and deserves any plaudits that come his way. Amos by contrast wasn't at his best and at times was rather annoying in what he did with the ball.

Defensively we were pretty tight and tidy again which is a hallmark of a PH team and it dawned on me before their goal that a shut out today would make 4 league clean sheets in a row (perhaps thats why we conceded!!)

There's a thread on McAtee and whether he should be in the team but reading through this thread it almost supports those that have recently said he shouldn't be. Talented, absolutely, wasteful in situations he needn't be, yes. He works so hard, and you can see how he celebrates goals with teammates that he cares deeply, that's what I love most about him, but when he keeps shooting from ridiculous range all the time it becomes tiresome. The one in the first half I think he had good grounds to take and I don't begrudge him, but the one in the second half was simply wishful thinking and a ball to Efete would have been by far the better decision, though I confess to not rating him much either today.

We CAN be a better team then the league table and results suggest, I find we struggle to maintain the ascendency when we gain it and in games when we have every right to go on to win we take our foot off and almost gift the opposition the finest of margins/opportunities to get back into the game or see us out for a draw (mainly at home).

All in all, frustrating once again and a game I think we could/would/should have gone on to win if the opening levels are maintained. Looking positively its another game unbeaten and even though I'm sure staff and players will have their annoyance, every game unbeaten hopefully breeds some degree of confidence going into the next game.

Onto the next one, UTM!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 44
golfer
March 25, 2023, 6:40pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.29
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,450
Gold Stars: 118
I don't think the ref. was too bad considering all the play acting from both sides. Several "pretend" head injuries was disgraceful considering the importance of the rules for the players benefit.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 44
lukeo
March 25, 2023, 6:53pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,405
Gold Stars: 149
I thought ref did OK, missed a fee obvious pushes but nothing major.
I really hope we sign Lloyd. Phenomenal player.

I think we have a backbone of a team that can challenge at the top, 3-4 key signings and we're onto a winner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 44
Spurn boy
March 25, 2023, 6:59pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +1,264
Gold Stars: 30
Quoted from lukeo
I thought ref did OK, missed a fee obvious pushes but nothing major.
I really hope we sign Lloyd. Phenomenal player.

I think we have a backbone of a team that can challenge at the top, 3-4 key signings and we're onto a winner.

Considering the shitehouseary from both sides I think the ref had a good game , not as good as the ref on Wednesday night who let the game flow.

Dead Eye Dobbin stood motionless waiting, waiting, waiting for the ball to arrive. Back came the right foot, Down came the right foot, Bang ! Headlines around the world as the ball flew into the very top right hand corner of the goal.( Jim Dobbin scoring in the 89th minute for Town against Newcastle United away 24/10/1992 )
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 44
arryarryarry
March 25, 2023, 7:23pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,042
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from DB

In the post match JT asked Hurst about this. The answer was  that the system he started to play was changed which didn't suit Scannel.

I don't think it matters what system we play, I very much doubt there is any place for Scannell in the team, in fact I would be surprised if he plays for us again.
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 44
arryarryarry
March 25, 2023, 7:26pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,042
Gold Stars: 117
I quite enjoyed the game, I thought it was one of the better home League games this season.

We should have won the game by half time but they changed their formation but still only looked dangerous at corners where our defending was pretty woeful and we fell away a bit..
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 44
davmariner
March 25, 2023, 8:36pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +37 / -11
Approval: +4,970
Gold Stars: 79
There are still question marks over his ability to perform consistently at this level.

Suspect McAtee is feeling the pressure to show he can deliver ahead of going down to Luton and then out on loan somewhere.

At this stage I’d be surprised if anyone above League 2 takes him though that’s not to say he hasn’t got the quality to play higher.

Up The Mariners!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 44
MuddyWaters
March 25, 2023, 8:43pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from davmariner
There are still question marks over his ability to perform consistently at this level.

Suspect McAtee is feeling the pressure to show he can deliver ahead of going down to Luton and then out on loan somewhere.

At this stage I’d be surprised if anyone above League 2 takes him though that’s not to say he hasn’t got the quality to play higher.

Was told today ‘don’t be surprised if he’s here again next season’. Worth remembering that he was a  Nathan Jones signing not a Rob Edwards signing.
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 44
Mariner John
March 25, 2023, 8:57pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +3 / -2
Approval: +633
Gold Stars: 54
Mcatee, dreadful decisions even though he puts a shift in.
Efette, options to fly down the wing, goes 3 paces then a back or side pass quite regularly.
Maheer is not a long throw expert, infact most could probably throw it the same, but hopefully not in the same place every time.
Subs should have come on sooner as it was obvious players were tired out.
Saying all of that a points a point so onwards an up
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 44
HertsGTFC
March 25, 2023, 9:00pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.25
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,997
Gold Stars: 228
Bit frustrated with that, overall we looked a bit more creative and tried to do some good stuff to get us into decent attacking positions & opportunities some things worked some things didn’t. I can’t say anyone had a bad game.

When it did work our composure is so poor that it resulted in poor delivery, pot shots, what looked like greed or just a load of players crowding the box like U7’s all trying to get a kick. Also some of our dead ball situations where & are shocking. We just don’t value the ball.

I thought Morris took our goal well and we should have dealt with there’s better. All said though 1 - 1 was arguably a fair result in the end from 2 teams who ain’t going up or down. Neither keeper was worked hard at all.

One final thing in our strategy to “be more Hartlepool” in mid field I thought Green & Morris worked well the latter delivering from what I’ve seen his best game for Town.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 44
Tommy
March 25, 2023, 9:02pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,866
Gold Stars: 76
Just a few thoughts of mine from today:

1) our long throws are shite. Don't think we've ever created a chance from one have we? Is it worth persisting with them?

2) similar to Wednesday night, we played with a good tempo and intensity. No problems with our work rate and we are trying to play on the front foot, both in and out of possession.

3) I think whilst this formation can leave us quite solid and can be useful to sit deep and counter attack when we don't have as much possession, I think we're actually quite one-dimensional with it when attacking in general. Our full backs aren't quite comfortable enough on the ball and neither could put a decent cross in today despite numerous opportunities. With no wingers in front of them in this system, the crosses come from them and that needs to improve (was shocked Emmanuel didn't come on 2nd half too). I think the back 5 has served a purpose but now that we've got everyone fit again, I think we could afford to go 4231 again. We might have got rid of some wingers but Clifton, Khan, Emmanuel and Scannell could all play the wider roles in the 3.

4) my favourite noise of the day: "GREEENYYS!!!" every time the ball went within 5 yards of him.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 44
March 25, 2023, 9:11pm
Guest User
Quite entertaining, flew out of the blocks and the first 20 minutes was as good as I’ve seen.

We tend to let teams drag us down to their level. And so it went. 22 shots only 4 of which were on target suggests why we aren’t scoring.

Thought the ref was ok. A touch of Mike Dean about him.

1-1 fair enough. Not going to lose my sh1t about this like so many have. We’ll be up there next season.
Reply: 21 - 44
March 25, 2023, 9:12pm
Guest User
Oh point about the long throw ins, they’d work if we had someone to flick them on. Seem to be regularly playing against giant centre halves.
Reply: 22 - 44
TAGG
March 25, 2023, 9:59pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -27
Approval: +2,938
Gold Stars: 126
Quoted from paramariner
Shocked that there's hardly any mention of how dire the Ref was today.  I know it's become expected at almost every game, but that guy today was abysmal

He wasn't to bad, seen a lot worse.

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 44
toontown
March 25, 2023, 10:00pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,275
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from Spurn boy
I found today’s game got increasingly frustrating the longer it went on, we played so well and deserved the goal even if the corner kick was poor. After we had scored we just got so nervous and started playing like a different team and think the players just eased off. Poor play from Amos to concede the corner that resulted in their goal and from that moment they gained confidence. Not sure about our formation as 3 up front causes a bit of confusion between them and maybe replacing Taylor with Hunt or Clifton with 20 minutes to go might have been an option. Disappointed with some of Mcatee’s decision making today and Efete was so good but so bad at the same time. Both Green and Morris joint MOM for me but I’m disappointed with the result as I thought 3 points was coming our way when we scored. UTM

It was Morris that conceded the corner they scored from, not Amos. Other than that Morris was excellent today, as good as I can remember, my motm.

Amos was blowing out his bottom by the end and I would have liked to see Orsi come on for taylor at some point too. Surprising and disappointing lack of subs again.

I mentioned the lack of quality width with this formation when we're on top and this was the perfect example - Amos with loads of opportunities to cross but did nowt every time. Efete was poor with the ball going forward, as usual in that position.

We were so on top with possession first 30 odd mins but even then our attack didn't score. We defo need a rethink up front invthe summer. Mcatee did some really good work with his skill, then some really poor decision making too. Taylor has to get on the end of the cross from lloyd in my opinion. Forbthe first time lloyd was getting some joy out the ref for being fouled by the big lad marking him.

Defensively we were massively panicky at corners it seemed, pretty comfortable otherwise.

Their keeper stayed on cos smith stayed up, if he'd gone to ground the ref would probably have sent him. Maher could have been sent off for his studs showing foul though.

A pretty entertaining game, I enjoyed it, a really good example why we aren't higher upbthe league tho. Pretty mediocre opposition who we dominated possession against and peppered shots in but couldn't score more than 1.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 44
Mariner16
March 25, 2023, 10:26pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.25
Rep Score: +13 / -3
Approval: +476
Gold Stars: 4
Take it not many saw the deliberate elbow on Efete from Monthe whilst he was lying on the ground? In front of the lino!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 44
pen penfras
March 26, 2023, 9:47am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -134
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from 140381
Oh point about the long throw ins, they’d work if we had someone to flick them on. Seem to be regularly playing against giant centre halves.

It's nothing to do with giant defenders. The ball never gets as far as our first player. It's usually cleared by a defender with no challenge. Surely the players must realise that Maher can't throw it to the penalty spot so why stand that far away?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 44
Stew0_0
March 26, 2023, 9:52am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.45
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +1,192
Gold Stars: 35
Unfortunately the last 2 games, where we should have won both effectively end our faint hopes of a late play off push.
Hurst stated that the lack of subs was to keep as many taller players on the field to counter-act their set pieces but sometimes I would like to see Paul be a bit braver and go for the win. Clifton and Hunt should have been added to try to make things happen and maybe Holohan should have started today and be rested for Crawley.

Another of our frustrating home performances where the opposition stays in the game as long as possible to steal points off us late on. A trend that's happened all season. We need to put teams to bed when we are on top.

We move on to Crawley with a hope for 3 points
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 44
toontown
March 26, 2023, 10:13am
Whiskey Drinker
Oh yeah also, despite having decent numbers (400+) Walsall were probably the quietest away crowd at BP this season, no vocal support from them at all really. Oddly quiet.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 44
MuddyWaters
March 26, 2023, 10:28am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Stew0_0
Unfortunately the last 2 games, where we should have won both effectively end our faint hopes of a late play off push.
Hurst stated that the lack of subs was to keep as many taller players on the field to counter-act their set pieces but sometimes I would like to see Paul be a bit braver and go for the win. Clifton and Hunt should have been added to try to make things happen and maybe Holohan should have started today and be rested for Crawley.

Another of our frustrating home performances where the opposition stays in the game as long as possible to steal points off us late on. A trend that's happened all season. We need to put teams to bed when we are on top.

We move on to Crawley with a hope for 3 points

I agree.

Surely the best way to stop the opposition using ‘land of the giants’ tactics is to keep the ball better and move the game further up the pitch.
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 44
Garth
March 26, 2023, 10:51am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,936
Gold Stars: 27
Forgettable game crying out for changes in players and formation in the end, disappointing for a decent crowd
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 44
DB
March 26, 2023, 11:03am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.41
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,056
Gold Stars: 391
Quoted from Garth
Forgettable game crying out for changes in players and formation in the end, disappointing for a decent crowd

TBH I thought the gate was poor at 6176, take off the 400+ Walsall fans leaves about 5770. Take off ST's and not many are left as walk-ins.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 44
MuddyWaters
March 26, 2023, 11:06am
Barley Wine Drinker
Michael Flynn's Walsall looked just like Michael Flynn's Newport  - big, ugly and annoyingly effective.
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 44
Abdul19
March 26, 2023, 11:42am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,607
Gold Stars: 219
Quoted from DB

A rubbish answer as it implies that formations can never be changed mid match - I don't expect JT pushed him on this though!

My highlight of the game was Amos' yellow card tackle  

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 44
toontown
March 26, 2023, 11:43am
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from DB

TBH I thought the gate was poor at 6176, take off the 400+ Walsall fans leaves about 5770. Take off ST's and not many are left as walk-ins.

Bet loads of STH didn't turn up as usual so still a fair few walk ups
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 44
Croxton
March 26, 2023, 1:07pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.74
Rep Score: +14 / -4
Approval: +3,020
Gold Stars: 34
Quoted from Abdul19

A rubbish answer as it implies that formations can never be changed mid match - I don't expect JT pushed him on this though!

My highlight of the game was Amos' yellow card tackle  

Hurst likes to control the narrative and puts JT back in his box rather abruptly about team selections. ''Going forward I won't be answering questions about players who aren't in the team''

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p0fbzjst

Plus, a shot across the bows to those who have high expectations this season.

https://marinerstv.co.uk/player/0_5o3f7izo

If he was less selective of fans views he might see that the vast majority of us are pleased to stay up this year and that it is JT's job to ask about other players in the squad?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 44
HertsGTFC
March 26, 2023, 2:18pm

Barley Wine Drinker
[b] ''Going forward I won't be answering questions about players who aren't in the team''[/b

This made me smile, it's  post match interview about the game so I kind of get what Hurst is saying. JT seems to have been more opinionated this season about playing personal and maybe it was just a bit of Hurst showing his teeth with JT (again) which I also kind of get.  

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 44
ginnywings
March 26, 2023, 4:32pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from HertsGTFC
[b] ''Going forward I won't be answering questions about players who aren't in the team''[/b

This made me smile, it's  post match interview about the game so I kind of get what Hurst is saying. JT seems to have been more opinionated this season about playing personal and maybe it was just a bit of Hurst showing his teeth with JT (again) which I also kind of get.  

Don't blame PH myself. Why answer questions about what he didn't do, rather than what he did do? We knew from the pre match interview that we had a full squad to pick from, so it's obvious the missing players were left out for a reason. They can't all be in the match day squad.

It's the same with peoples obsession with substitutes. The manager decides if and when to introduce them, and on Saturday he decided not to change things in the game. That could be for any number of reasons. The game was finely balanced and introducing subs could just as easily have had the effect of disrupting the flow, rather than enhancing it. We were looking the more likely to score the winner at the end of the game.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 44
MuddyWaters
March 26, 2023, 4:39pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings

Don't blame PH myself. Why answer questions about what he didn't do, rather than what he did do? We knew from the pre match interview that we had a full squad to pick from, so it's obvious the missing players were left out for a reason. They can't all be in the match day squad.

It's the same with peoples obsession with substitutes. The manager decides if and when to introduce them, and on Saturday he decided not to change things in the game. That could be for any number of reasons. The game was finely balanced and introducing subs could just as easily have had the effect of disrupting the flow, rather than enhancing it. We were looking the more likely to score the winner at the end of the game.

People are allowed opinions though.

There were several blowing out of their ar$es after 70 minutes. PH has, understandably, spoken about the schedule and fatigue and he had several good options on the bench. Yesterday was crying out for us to get up the pitch with better possession and passing, just as Hunt gave us in his last start v Rochdale.
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 44
HertsGTFC
March 26, 2023, 4:41pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings

I thought Paul’s explanation about lack of height on the bench made sense.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 44
ginnywings
March 26, 2023, 5:21pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from MuddyWaters

There were several blowing out of their ar$es after 70 minutes. PH has, understandably, spoken about the schedule and fatigue and he had several good options on the bench. Yesterday was crying out for us to get up the pitch with better possession and passing, just as Hunt gave us in his last start v Rochdale.

Yep, we are all entitled to an opinion, but that's all they are. PH is the one tasked with gathering points and what he thinks is the best way of achieving it.

In our group yesterday, everyone had a different opinion of who should be brought on, and who should be brought off, but ultimately, every fan thinks they have the answer to every problem. Had we got the winner from all the very presentable positions we found ourselves in, no one would be that bothered.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 44
grimsby pete
March 26, 2023, 5:50pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.79
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,834
Gold Stars: 222
It must be very frustrating for a manager having to answer the same type of questions after each game. We all think we know better but we are not managers .

The question about keeping more taller players on the pitch is a good one maybe we should sign a few big ones just to sit on the bench so we can bring them on later in the game.  

If we are all honest i think we have all enjoyed  this season for the cup run but our home form could have been better.

Never mind next season we will still be in the EFL with a stronger and Taller squad.  

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 44
rancido
March 26, 2023, 5:51pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,654
Gold Stars: 100
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Of course you are allowed and opinion. But there is no consequence to your opinion whereas there is if PH makes a decision.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 44
Ashby mariner
March 26, 2023, 6:12pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +1 / -2
Approval: +471
Gold Stars: 8
A few people talking about long throws on here. Ive watched the national league highlights show this week and last and Croppers long throws have got barnet 2 goals. Probably isn't good enough for league 2 but his throws are like rockets going into the box.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 44
diehardmariner
March 28, 2023, 11:44am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,705
Gold Stars: 543
Cropper's only played one full game in League Two this season (Barrow away) with another appearance from the bench on the opening day against Orient.

I can't remember him standing out as either good or bad against Barrow but in the cup against Forest he didn't disgrace himself and was more than fine against Crewe.

Obviously the main reason we've seen so little of him is because of injuries but I think he is good enough, when fit.  Efete and Emmanuel are clearly ahead of him in terms of Hurst's mind but god we miss that throw.  I don't even think you need to have a team of giants to capitalise on it, it just creates sheer panic because of the speed and angle it comes in at.    It's better than a corner and with the option to use it pretty much anywhere in the final third, I'd be finding a place for him in the 18 if not the 11.  
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 44
5 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.