3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Maringer
May 5, 2023, 4:45pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,674
Gold Stars: 189
I remember the Arsenal game was disappointing, but worked out afterwards that every single on of their starting line-up were current internationals at the time, so it's probably not a surprise that we didn't get near them. The early goal really was the killer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 25
Poojah
May 5, 2023, 5:08pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,770
Gold Stars: 1,515
Quoted from immariner

6000 at Anfield, 3-4000 at Highbury I think. Always been gutted I didn't go, despite the meh game because Highbury was an iconic ground I never got to and I would have seen Bergkamp, one of my favourite ever players, in the flesh

If it’s any consolation, I remembered so little about the game that I hadn’t even realised that Bergkamp played until I watched the highlights last night. Oddly, the only players I could remember playing were goalscorer Edu and Silvain Wilford, and goalkeeper Stuart Taylor, most famous for playing only 75 games in 21 years as a professional footballer.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 25
Heswall Mariner
May 5, 2023, 10:10pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +594
Gold Stars: 30
Quoted from IlkleyMariner
We have done Emirates and Highbury. Regrettably I missed both

Not done etihad, but seen town at Maine road in the 60s. Had a great night afterwards….won’t go into details….

Methinks it was 2-1 a 3rd round tie on a murky afternoon in January. Ron Cockerill scored both our goals  from distance .We lost to Notts Forest in the next round?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 25
May 5, 2023, 11:29pm
Guest User
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY
If memory serves me right, I don’t think there were many Arsenal supporters at the game and town took about 6000.

Arsenal announced that we brought more fans than Man Utd had a few days before.
Reply: 23 - 25
exiledmeggie
May 6, 2023, 4:42pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +1 / -6
Approval: -209
Gold Stars: 20
Bolton Burnden park. Bolton. Went there in the February 73, in Dads Cortina, with two of his mates. M62 not built in those days, so went via Sheffield and Huddersfield, to be told of the FA Cup semi final in 36 at Leeds Road, and who was there (Granddad!) Remember because the pitch had a moat around it.

But a cheer went up when Dave Worthington ceremoniously tackled one of their player, sending him scrambling into the moat! Although we lost, I can still see the look on Dave's face!

The trip home was a bit frantic as we headed back over the Pennines to have a fish super from the chippy!

Living in Exile since 1980, but still have Black and White blood!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 25
aldi_01
May 7, 2023, 10:14am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
I remember very little of the arsenal game but I remember the journey and the massive bloke outside chanting Jesus guff…polite town fan asked him if this bloke Jesus could head a ball.

The game was a non event, or so it felt, I couldn’t even tell you who played for arsenal that night. Sad really because I’m sure it was decent.

I guess because of the result and the performance not being great it doesn’t really live long in the memory.

I’ve got a seat from the last league game at Gay Meadow and the rules and regulations sheet off the wall. I’ve also got my seat from Wrexham last year.

As I get older, then number of old and new grounds for clubs I’ve been to increases, must be on about 9/10 clubs now…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 25
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Around the (old) grounds

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.