Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Les Brechin
May 4, 2023, 1:13pm

Posts Per Day: 4.16
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,726
Gold Stars: 174
Surprising really. Just had a quick tot up in the top 5 divisions and I reckon there are no less than 34 grounds that I have been to over the years that don't exist anymore!!

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 25
FishOutOfWater
May 4, 2023, 1:42pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.14
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,578
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from Les Brechin
Surprising really. Just had a quick tot up in the top 5 divisions and I reckon there are no less than 34 grounds that I have been to over the years that don't exist anymore!!

Amazing really Les how many have actually disappeared from the 80s ....  wonder if the next 30 odd years or so will see as many go?
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 2 - 25
LN8Mariner
May 4, 2023, 5:07pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +329
Gold Stars: 9
Quoted from Les Brechin

I tried to go one step further and try and figure out if we played in the latest stadium and previous one(s). E.g. Maine Road to Etihad and Highbury to Emirates both no but Goldstone to Withdean to Amex yes. But it hurt my head so I’ve given up and I can’t be bothered actually researching it! 😂
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 25
IlkleyMariner
May 4, 2023, 6:51pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +12 / -1
Approval: +3,034
Gold Stars: 69
We have done Emirates and Highbury. Regrettably I missed both

Not done etihad, but seen town at Maine road in the 60s. Had a great night afterwards….won’t go into details….
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 25
Poojah
May 4, 2023, 7:19pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,778
Gold Stars: 1,515
Quoted from IlkleyMariner

Not done etihad, but seen town at Maine road in the 60s. Had a great night afterwards….won’t go into details….

Can’t be many EFL / PL grounds Town haven’t played a senior competitive fixture at now. 12 months ago West Ham, Southampton and Brighton would have been on the list but we’ve since ticked them off and in some style too.

I think these are the only ones left:

Arsenal
Brentford
Man City
Spurs (possibly contentious)
Cardiff
Middlesbrough
Rotherham
Swansea
Wigan

Everton will go back on the list a year from now.

Would be nice if we managed to get to a couple more next season (Spurs please!).

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 25
IlkleyMariner
May 4, 2023, 7:42pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from Poojah

Can’t be many EFL / PL grounds Town haven’t played a senior competitive fixture at now. 12 months ago West Ham, Southampton and Brighton would have been on the list but we’ve since ticked them off and in some style too.

I think these are the only ones left:

Arsenal
Brentford
Man City
Spurs (possibly contentious)
Cardiff
Middlesbrough
Rotherham
Swansea
Wigan

Everton will go back on the list a year from now.

Would be nice if we managed to get to a couple more next season (Spurs please!).

Defo done emirates in league cup.

Think u r correct with others

We have also done Derby, Hull, Donny, Stoke, Southampton, Brighton, Millwall, Colchester, Northampton, Bolton, Huddersfield,

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 25
Poojah
May 4, 2023, 7:49pm
Vodka Drinker

We have also done Derby, Hull, Donny, Stoke, Southampton, Brighton, Millwall, Colchester, Northampton, Bolton, Huddersfield,

The last time we played Arsenal was in 2001, following the win at Anfield. That was most definitely at Highbury. I can remember the state of the bogs in the clock end.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 25
IlkleyMariner
May 4, 2023, 8:17pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from Poojah

The last time we played Arsenal was in 2001, following the win at Anfield. That was most definitely at Highbury. I can remember the state of the bogs in the clock end.

Obviously your recollection of bogs is more fulfilling than mine. I withdraw!  Not usually in bogs tho.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 25
LN8Mariner
May 4, 2023, 8:19pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Approval: +329
Gold Stars: 9
Quoted from Poojah

Agree, definitely Highbury as the next time I went was was when my brother lived there!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 25
Poojah
May 4, 2023, 8:24pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from LN8Mariner

Agree, definitely Highbury as the next time I went was was when my brother lived there!

It was. Here’s the highlights.

https://youtu.be/ctBu5fKfIbM

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 25
Heisenberg
May 4, 2023, 8:41pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +5,115
Gold Stars: 97
Quoted from Poojah

It was. Here’s the highlights.

https://youtu.be/ctBu5fKfIbM

Hated that game. Sh#t.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 25
aldi_01
May 4, 2023, 9:54pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Quoted from Poojah

What a trip that was…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 25
NorthLondonMariner
May 4, 2023, 10:22pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +415
Gold Stars: 7

I remember going to Stoke away on the train in the mid-90s when they still played at the Victoria Ground. That walk from the station to the ground wasn't for the faint-hearted.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 25
RichMariner
May 4, 2023, 10:27pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,165
Gold Stars: 211
I was there at Highbury that night. Genuinely can't remember a thing about the game! That early goal from Edu absolutely killed it. Don't even remember there being much of an atmosphere, despite travelling in numbers off the back of that incredible night at Liverpool.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 14 - 25
NorthLondonMariner
May 4, 2023, 10:45pm
Lager Top Drinker
Quoted from RichMariner
I was there at Highbury that night. Genuinely can't remember a thing about the game! That early goal from Edu absolutely killed it. Don't even remember there being much of an atmosphere, despite travelling in numbers off the back of that incredible night at Liverpool.

I was living in Hertfordshire at the time, remember listening to the draw in a pub full of Arsenal fans in my town shirt praying for Arsenal away, I think they were almost as happy as I was when the numbers came out. I can't remember much of the game asides from Dennis Bergkamp looking like he was going to go past every one of our players every time he got the ball. I watched Town v Spurs in the same pub a few years later and got bought so many drinks after we knocked them out.  

Was actually chatting to A mate the other day trying to remember all the grounds that no longer exist that I've seen town play at. The 90's are A bit hazy but I think this is most of them.
Arsenal - Highbury
Bolton - Burnden Park
Stoke - The Victoria Ground
Hull - Boothferry Park
Middlesbrough - Ayresome Park
Brighton - The Withdean
Wimbledon - Polugh Lane
Doncaster - Belle Vue
Old Wembley
Derby - Baseball Ground
Sunderland - Roker Park
West Ham - Upton Park
York - Bootham Crescent
Brentford - Griffin Park
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 25
WOZOFGRIMSBY
May 4, 2023, 10:55pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,978
Gold Stars: 185
If memory serves me right, I don’t think there were many Arsenal supporters at the game and town took about 6000.

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 25
NorthLondonMariner
May 4, 2023, 11:10pm
Lager Top Drinker
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY
If memory serves me right, I don’t think there were many Arsenal supporters at the game and town took about 6000.

was about 17,000 total attendance I think.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 25
promotion plaice
May 5, 2023, 3:15pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,082
Gold Stars: 201
All going well we're in the process of moving house and we are having a massive clear-out.

Admittedly I'm not really a book reader so I'm only taking 5 books with me.

4 of them are my late fathers "AUDELS CARPENTERS AND BUILDERS GUIDE" just can't let them go.
(COPYRIGHT, 1923, 1939 BY THEO. AUDEL & COMPANY Printed in United States Reprinted 1947)

The other being "THE FOOTBALL GROUNDS OF ENGLAND AND WALES" by Simon Inglis.
(WILLOW BOOKS Collins 8 Grafton Street London 1983)

Great book.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 25
immariner
May 5, 2023, 4:45pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +3,414
Gold Stars: 62
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY

6000 at Anfield, 3-4000 at Highbury I think. Always been gutted I didn't go, despite the meh game because Highbury was an iconic ground I never got to and I would have seen Bergkamp, one of my favourite ever players, in the flesh
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 25
Maringer
May 5, 2023, 4:45pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,674
Gold Stars: 189
I remember the Arsenal game was disappointing, but worked out afterwards that every single on of their starting line-up were current internationals at the time, so it's probably not a surprise that we didn't get near them. The early goal really was the killer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 25
Poojah
May 5, 2023, 5:08pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from immariner

6000 at Anfield, 3-4000 at Highbury I think. Always been gutted I didn't go, despite the meh game because Highbury was an iconic ground I never got to and I would have seen Bergkamp, one of my favourite ever players, in the flesh

If it’s any consolation, I remembered so little about the game that I hadn’t even realised that Bergkamp played until I watched the highlights last night. Oddly, the only players I could remember playing were goalscorer Edu and Silvain Wilford, and goalkeeper Stuart Taylor, most famous for playing only 75 games in 21 years as a professional footballer.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 25
Heswall Mariner
May 5, 2023, 10:10pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Approval: +594
Gold Stars: 30

Methinks it was 2-1 a 3rd round tie on a murky afternoon in January. Ron Cockerill scored both our goals  from distance .We lost to Notts Forest in the next round?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 25
May 5, 2023, 11:29pm
Guest User
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY

Arsenal announced that we brought more fans than Man Utd had a few days before.
Reply: 23 - 25
exiledmeggie
May 6, 2023, 4:42pm
Lager Top Drinker
Rep Score: +1 / -6
Approval: -209
Gold Stars: 20
Bolton Burnden park. Bolton. Went there in the February 73, in Dads Cortina, with two of his mates. M62 not built in those days, so went via Sheffield and Huddersfield, to be told of the FA Cup semi final in 36 at Leeds Road, and who was there (Granddad!) Remember because the pitch had a moat around it.

But a cheer went up when Dave Worthington ceremoniously tackled one of their player, sending him scrambling into the moat! Although we lost, I can still see the look on Dave's face!

The trip home was a bit frantic as we headed back over the Pennines to have a fish super from the chippy!

Living in Exile since 1980, but still have Black and White blood!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 25
aldi_01
May 7, 2023, 10:14am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
I remember very little of the arsenal game but I remember the journey and the massive bloke outside chanting Jesus guff…polite town fan asked him if this bloke Jesus could head a ball.

The game was a non event, or so it felt, I couldn’t even tell you who played for arsenal that night. Sad really because I’m sure it was decent.

I guess because of the result and the performance not being great it doesn’t really live long in the memory.

I’ve got a seat from the last league game at Gay Meadow and the rules and regulations sheet off the wall. I’ve also got my seat from Wrexham last year.

As I get older, then number of old and new grounds for clubs I’ve been to increases, must be on about 9/10 clubs now…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 25
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Around the (old) grounds

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.