2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
RichMariner
May 28, 2023, 9:28pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,134
Gold Stars: 209
I went to the Luton v Coventry match on Saturday, and a few things stood out for me having witnessed the game in person:

• First touch is everything at that level
    Referee Michael Oliver is so far ahead of what we get in L2 it's unreal
    VAR, while delivering correct decisions on a technical level, still feels like it ruins things

On that last point, because I was sat in the Luton end, we genuinely thought the game had been won late in extra time. I didn't see the handball with the naked eye (neither did any of the Coventry players) and so when it was chalked off, even as a neutral, it felt absolutely gutting.

I can't imaging celebrating a significant goal like that for Town, and then having that moment ruined. And I know, over time, fans will likely hold back their celebrations for fear that VAR might yet intervene — because it will, even if everyone in the ground, including the opposition, appears to accept it as legit.

It's fair to say Luton play direct, but they did it so well. Their 'out' ball was far more precise than what we see in L2, and they played with two strikers, Morris and Adebayo. They stick very close to one another and work as a pair, without one being the 'big man' and the other the 'small man'.

Also — and I know the vast majority of football fans already feel this way — I'd never witnessed a shoot-out at Wembley before, and it was horrendous. Although I wanted Luton to win, the poor Coventry lad who missed was devastated. Seeing all the Luton players and staff run past him in that moment of celebration looked so cruel against the backdrop of 85,000 fans and all those cameras.

I know there are going to be heroes and villains in every match but it would've made it just that little bit better if the keeper had saved it, rather than him blasting over the bar. Such a horrible way to decide a football match, but I guess it remains the best way given the lack of alternatives that have been suggested over the years.

I really enjoyable match, though. I've read online that a lot of people weren't blown away by the quality but, witnessing it first hand, it's far, far better than the quality I saw in L2 (which may be stating the obvious). And while I've watched hundreds of matches, they've usually been local non-league games, when it's not been Grimsby, so being part of an 85,000 crowd at Wembley with the stakes so high was a relatively new experience for me.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
It Bites
May 28, 2023, 9:34pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.45
Rep Score: +4 / -10
Approval: +2,163
Gold Stars: 264
I've been watching a lot of football this last 3 months at all levels and you're right . The pricice pass and first touch are every thing ..... And let's be honest our first touches last season were horrible at times . The passing was worse
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 13
lukeo
May 28, 2023, 9:36pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,372
Gold Stars: 148
If I lived closer to London I'd 100% be going as a neutral to a few games like this, glad you enjoyed it.

Penalties are minging.
I took a penalty 17 years ago and missed. Never forgotten it, it genuinely scarred me for life and it was only amateur football so god knows what this bloke is feeling right now.
To make my matters worse, I had only ever taken a penalty in pre season since that day 17 years ago until 2 weeks ago. Semi finals of the local Sunday league. I refuse to take a penalty. 4 4 after 5 penalties. Everyone refuses to go next so I step up, totally defeated before I even kicked the ball. Needless to say I missed and we went out the semi finals.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 13
spikelias
May 28, 2023, 9:44pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +22
Gold Stars: 9
Quoted from RichMariner
I went to the Luton v Coventry match on Saturday, and a few things stood out for me having witnessed the game in person:

• First touch is everything at that level
    Referee Michael Oliver is so far ahead of what we get in L2 it's unreal
    VAR, while delivering correct decisions on a technical level, still feels like it ruins things

On that last point, because I was sat in the Luton end, we genuinely thought the game had been won late in extra time. I didn't see the handball with the naked eye (neither did any of the Coventry players) and so when it was chalked off, even as a neutral, it felt absolutely gutting.

I can't imaging celebrating a significant goal like that for Town, and then having that moment ruined. And I know, over time, fans will likely hold back their celebrations for fear that VAR might yet intervene — because it will, even if everyone in the ground, including the opposition, appears to accept it as legit.

It's fair to say Luton play direct, but they did it so well. Their 'out' ball was far more precise than what we see in L2, and they played with two strikers, Morris and Adebayo. They stick very close to one another and work as a pair, without one being the 'big man' and the other the 'small man'.

Also — and I know the vast majority of football fans already feel this way — I'd never witnessed a shoot-out at Wembley before, and it was horrendous. Although I wanted Luton to win, the poor Coventry lad who missed was devastated. Seeing all the Luton players and staff run past him in that moment of celebration looked so cruel against the backdrop of 85,000 fans and all those cameras.

I know there are going to be heroes and villains in every match but it would've made it just that little bit better if the keeper had saved it, rather than him blasting over the bar. Such a horrible way to decide a football match, but I guess it remains the best way given the lack of alternatives that have been suggested over the years.

I really enjoyable match, though. I've read online that a lot of people weren't blown away by the quality but, witnessing it first hand, it's far, far better than the quality I saw in L2 (which may be stating the obvious). And while I've watched hundreds of matches, they've usually been local non-league games, when it's not been Grimsby, so being part of an 85,000 crowd at Wembley with the stakes so high was a relatively new experience for me.

Whilst I appreciate your insight and I'm sorry for having a go, but I can't help but feel sorry for the lifelong Luton fan I know that couldn't go to this massive moment for the club because a fan of another club had a ticket. I think we'd all been upset if that had occurred at such a match for Town. Not sure if it relates to your ticket, but Luton were daft to let their season ticket holders buy 6 tickets each. I hope we don't make that mistake, admittedly I'd take the mistake over being in the Championship Play off Final!!.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 13
ginnywings
May 28, 2023, 9:53pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,127
Gold Stars: 548
[quote=140313]

Whilst I appreciate your insight and I'm sorry for having a go, but I can't help but feel sorry for the lifelong Luton fan I know that couldn't go to this massive moment for the club because a fan of another club had a ticket. I think we'd all been upset if that had occurred at such a match for Town. Not sure if it relates to your ticket, but Luton were daft to let their season ticket holders buy 6 tickets each. I hope we don't make that mistake, admittedly I'd take the mistake over being in the Championship Play off

It wasn't at capacity, so don't get your point.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 13
spikelias
May 28, 2023, 10:02pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +22
Gold Stars: 9
Quoted from ginnywings
[quote=140313]

Whilst I appreciate your insight and I'm sorry for having a go, but I can't help but feel sorry for the lifelong Luton fan I know that couldn't go to this massive moment for the club because a fan of another club had a ticket. I think we'd all been upset if that had occurred at such a match for Town. Not sure if it relates to your ticket, but Luton were daft to let their season ticket holders buy 6 tickets each. I hope we don't make that mistake, admittedly I'd take the mistake over being in the Championship Play off

It wasn't at capacity, so don't get your point.

I saw they sold out their allocation? Either way, the point remains, which is that club fans shouldn't be disadvantaged by ticketing policies that potentially exclude their own fanbase - although it is difficult to avoid.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 13
Mandy Dunnit vs Hettie
May 28, 2023, 10:08pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +1,468
Gold Stars: 15
Quoted from RichMariner
I'd never witnessed a shoot-out at Wembley before, and it was horrendous..

Erm…I’ve watched a couple and yes I don’t think anyone on here would disagree with you!

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 13
TownSNAFU5
May 28, 2023, 10:34pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,882
Gold Stars: 42
I read that each team were (only) allocated 37,500 tickets.  This is never enough for such a critical game.

There were 85,000 there.  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 13
TownSNAFU5
May 28, 2023, 11:09pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,882
Gold Stars: 42
Interesting analysis in how Luton play.

They finished 3rd with limited resources.  Very impressive. They were incredibly hard to beat.  Only 4 away league defeats out of 23, in a tough league.

Overall, they had 3 fewer league defeats than every other  team (except Burnley).  This record includes automatic promoted Sheffield United.

Makes our 2-2  away draw and 3-0 win (by HT) look even more impressive!  And we had a very depleted team. 😃😇
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 13
Heisenberg
May 28, 2023, 11:09pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +5,047
Gold Stars: 93

Erm…I’ve watched a couple and yes I don’t think anyone on here would disagree with you!

I was thinking the same. Weird that a town fan wasn’t there to see those two horrendous finals we lost, but was in the Luton end yesterday.

Most on here don’t need telling it was horrendous. We know full well. That Bristol Rovers one will hurt forever. I’m jealous you didn’t know about it.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 13
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Luton's win

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.