Maringer
May 28, 2023, 11:24pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,509
Gold Stars: 185
Quoted from TownSNAFU5
I read that each team were (only) allocated 37,500 tickets.  This is never enough for such a critical game.

There were 85,000 there.  

My (Cleethorpes-based) brother-in-law is a Wednesday fan and wasn't able to get a ticket for the game tomorrow. Their allocation sold out on Friday and he wasn't able to get one despite lots of time spent online trying.

I suspect the attendance for the game will be well below capacity which is bloody stupid, really.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 13
diehardmariner
May 30, 2023, 10:48am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,614
Gold Stars: 538
Loads and loads of empty seats in the Barnsley end yesterday, horrendously spaced out too which makes it look even worse too.

Wednesday got extra allocation of blocks that were originally allocated to Barnsley too but seems even that wasn't enough.
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 13
aldi_01
May 30, 2023, 11:05am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.03
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Normally they sell tickets in the seats that are in camera view first but seems they didn’t do that for the league 1 and 2 finals.

The allocations are always all over the place for such games although, if we’re being kind, 37’500 would be more than enough for Luton and likely Coventry, even if every season ticket holder took a friend from Luton…

Wednesday sold what they were given but the spacing out of Barnsley was weird as was Carlisle/Stockport…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 13
FishOutOfWater
May 30, 2023, 1:13pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.14
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,574
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from RichMariner
I went to the Luton v Coventry match on Saturday, and a few things stood out for me having witnessed the game in person:

• First touch is everything at that level
    Referee Michael Oliver is so far ahead of what we get in L2 it's unreal
    VAR, while delivering correct decisions on a technical level, still feels like it ruins things

On that last point, because I was sat in the Luton end, we genuinely thought the game had been won late in extra time. I didn't see the handball with the naked eye (neither did any of the Coventry players) and so when it was chalked off, even as a neutral, it felt absolutely gutting.

I can't imaging celebrating a significant goal like that for Town, and then having that moment ruined. And I know, over time, fans will likely hold back their celebrations for fear that VAR might yet intervene — because it will, even if everyone in the ground, including the opposition, appears to accept it as legit.

It's fair to say Luton play direct, but they did it so well. Their 'out' ball was far more precise than what we see in L2, and they played with two strikers, Morris and Adebayo. They stick very close to one another and work as a pair, without one being the 'big man' and the other the 'small man'.

Also — and I know the vast majority of football fans already feel this way — I'd never witnessed a shoot-out at Wembley before, and it was horrendous. Although I wanted Luton to win, the poor Coventry lad who missed was devastated. Seeing all the Luton players and staff run past him in that moment of celebration looked so cruel against the backdrop of 85,000 fans and all those cameras.

I know there are going to be heroes and villains in every match but it would've made it just that little bit better if the keeper had saved it, rather than him blasting over the bar. Such a horrible way to decide a football match, but I guess it remains the best way given the lack of alternatives that have been suggested over the years.

I really enjoyable match, though. I've read online that a lot of people weren't blown away by the quality but, witnessing it first hand, it's far, far better than the quality I saw in L2 (which may be stating the obvious). And while I've watched hundreds of matches, they've usually been local non-league games, when it's not been Grimsby, so being part of an 85,000 crowd at Wembley with the stakes so high was a relatively new experience for me.

Good read that RichMariner....

I sometimes used to go and watch Luton when I lived in MK and when I had nothing much else to do I'd go to see local(ish) games

I'd completely forgotten about it but they mentioned on the commentary about the last time they were promoted to the top flight... I was there at Kenilworth Road the night they beat QPR in 1982 to go up

They had a half decent side then and they managed to get a foothold in the top tier and also won the League Cup some years later before they started their demise as the Prem was introduced in 1992

I'm not sure how they'll fare now they're back in the big time - their team in the 80s arguably had a lot more going for it than this current squad but you never know

Forest have shown this past season that some heart and endeavour can make up for a lack of finesse so maybe Luton could survive.... even fourth from bottom this time next year will be construed as a success after their lean years. I wish them well although I think they'll need lady luck on their side to survive
Logged Online
Private Message Skype
Reply: 13 - 13
2 Pages Prev 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Luton's win

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.