forza ivano
May 30, 2023, 11:43pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,204
Gold Stars: 265
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p0fr9s41

well worth 35 minutes of your time. This sounds like a real coup to get him giving some (unpaid) input, advice & knowledge to help 1878 & the Board.
key points for me
long term project for him, which although its unpaid, is something that's already occupying his mind, and sounds like he's 'bought in' to the 1878 values and vision.
likes the idea, and seems like it's a first for him, where the board and the management team have similar values - they're all aligned in being ambitious but realistic
He's independent of the 21st Group but knows and admires their work & people. Has used some of their work in his full time job in the UAE Pro League
Says they are 'disruptors', with some disruptive, out of the box, ideas, having worked in other sports and seen what works there. top quality data scientists , who give loads of good data to work with along with different ideas and perspective.
wants to work on the youth development as he has good strengths there, but also has a global network he can tap into for advice and ideas.
like the way he described it - he's a translator (good way of describing a football consultant, helping 1878 with their lack of knowledge of the football industry), with an independent view, . He's not a fan , so he can take a step back and see the bigger picture. With his contacts and knowledge he can help with injury management and player recruitment etc.

think his ideas and input, along with t new head of recruitment, plus a bigger budget adds up to a potentially very interesting summer transfer window

Logged Offline
Private Message
MuddyWaters
May 31, 2023, 7:40am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,256
Gold Stars: 236
Listened with interest as it’s a role I’ve had myself in a business. Every good business needs a critical friend’, the person that challenges your processes and puts fresh ideas in your head.

For me it’s very positive.
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 23
thefish
May 31, 2023, 7:46am

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +14 / -1
Approval: +2,267
Gold Stars: 67
Boo… bring Alex May back  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 23
aldi_01
May 31, 2023, 7:52am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.03
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Shite…I want a ticket tout, a board member that shouts at fans and a lottery winner…and extreme sports…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 23
Swansea_Mariner
May 31, 2023, 8:26am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,456
Gold Stars: 63
Unless he wears a turtleneck, I'm not interested.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 23
Mandy Dunnit vs Hettie
May 31, 2023, 8:27am

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +1,468
Gold Stars: 15
Can’t be anything but positive after hearing that. Very shrewd acquisition by the board and bodes so well for the future.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 23
promotion plaice
May 31, 2023, 8:33am

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,075
Gold Stars: 198
Quoted from aldi_01
Shite…I want a ticket tout, a board member that shouts at fans and a lottery winner…and extreme sports

Leisure.... but we know what you mean.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 23
devs
May 31, 2023, 8:57am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +1,982
Gold Stars: 30
Doesn't get you three points on a...

I'll get me coat..

NB: Good news - modern thinking club now after years in Jurassic age
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 23
diehardmariner
May 31, 2023, 9:26am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,630
Gold Stars: 539
Impressive interview, impressive appointment and impressive outlook.

I did note that very early on he talks about more recent employment which is roughly helping clubs maximise their selling value or identify maximum potential profits for buying parties.  1878 have never hidden from the fact that they're here until someone better  comes along.

I do wonder if this appointment is a nod towards making us as appealing as possible to potential investors/buyers, within that perhaps developing our own USP as part of it.

Either way, it's nothing but encouraging news.  If we've become desirable, profitable, investable etc. that means we've done something right to get there.  
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 23
aldi_01
May 31, 2023, 10:52am

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from promotion plaice

Leisure.... but we know what you mean.

We have been better with extreme sports I reckon…

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 23
Poojah
May 31, 2023, 10:55am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,576
Gold Stars: 1,502
Quoted from aldi_01

We have been better with extreme sports I reckon…

John Fenty skiing on a sea of molten lava down an erupting volcano wearing a petrol-soaked ski suit is precisely the kind of extreme sports I would pay good money to watch.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 23
headingly_mariner
May 31, 2023, 10:56am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,379
Gold Stars: 116
intercourse is this fella doing on our board? Quite the CV in the first few minutes.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 23
aldi_01
May 31, 2023, 11:23am

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Poojah

John Fenty skiing on a sea of molten lava down an erupting volcano wearing a petrol-soaked ski suit is precisely the kind of extreme sports I would pay good money to watch.

Fenty on in-line skates, petrol soaked jeans and a flaming half pipe?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 23
Gilbertswand
May 31, 2023, 11:23am
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Approval: +183
Gold Stars: 21
Quoted from diehardmariner
Impressive interview, impressive appointment and impressive outlook.

I did note that very early on he talks about more recent employment which is roughly helping clubs maximise their selling value or identify maximum potential profits for buying parties.  1878 have never hidden from the fact that they're here until someone better  comes along.

I do wonder if this appointment is a nod towards making us as appealing as possible to potential investors/buyers, within that perhaps developing our own USP as part of it.

Either way, it's nothing but encouraging news.  If we've become desirable, profitable, investable etc. that means we've done something right to get there.  

Agree with this and coupled with B Corp accreditation this should make us a safe and appealing investment.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 23
Mikey_345
May 31, 2023, 11:56am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +11 / -1
Approval: +5,383
Gold Stars: 106
Must say I was really enthused to hear the interview. This looks such a big and positive step forward by the club, brining in someone with his expertise is a really good move and quite exciting in a way. Who knew filling your board with football industry experts as opposed to lottery winners and solicitors would be a good idea!

Very interesting insight in a refreshingly detailed interview. Seems we really are trying to build something here but build it the right way. Growth was a common theme but also the importance of that being in stages. We've seen lots of teams chuck silly money at it and have brief periods of success, quick back to back promotions to the Championship etc, however it usually comes crashing down - What's going on down the road at Scunthorpe is a great example of this.

In reality it's the only way to go for us, build a sustainable data driven model and grow the club little by little - I wouldn't be surprised if JS & AP ultimate goal is to do that over a few years and either sell to someone to take us to the next level or bring in people to help us do that. Stockwood spoke for the first time at the end of the season about additional investment, he used to bat it off as down the road before the change in language recently.

All Town aren’t we

@GTFCLondon

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 23
lew chaterleys lover
May 31, 2023, 12:33pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,723
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from Mikey_345
Must say I was really enthused to hear the interview. This looks such a big and positive step forward by the club, brining in someone with his expertise is a really good move and quite exciting in a way. Who knew filling your board with football industry experts as opposed to lottery winners and solicitors would be a good idea!

Very interesting insight in a refreshingly detailed interview. Seems we really are trying to build something here but build it the right way. Growth was a common theme but also the importance of that being in stages. We've seen lots of teams chuck silly money at it and have brief periods of success, quick back to back promotions to the Championship etc, however it usually comes crashing down - What's going on down the road at Scunthorpe is a great example of this.

In reality it's the only way to go for us, build a sustainable data driven model and grow the club little by little - I wouldn't be surprised if JS & AP ultimate goal is to do that over a few years and either sell to someone to take us to the next level or bring in people to help us do that. Stockwood spoke for the first time at the end of the season about additional investment, he used to bat it off as down the road before the change in language recently.

I think you have hit the nail on the head in that last paragraph. I think that is the plan - to make us appealing within a certain time frame to other consortiums to take us further on the journey. It seems fanciful to imagine we would have some of the success that say Bournemouth. Brentford or Brighton have had, but it might not look so fanciful when all the building blocks are in place and the club has grown and shown to have potential.

At some point, it is going to cost an awful lot of money, but for now I agree with you the plan is to improve us bit by bit for a few years and restore our reputation within the game.

I am impatient by nature, but I do appreciate there seems to be an overall long-term plan.  
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 23
RonMariner
June 3, 2023, 9:12am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,718
Gold Stars: 226

I think you have hit the nail on the head in that last paragraph. I think that is the plan - to make us appealing within a certain time frame to other consortiums to take us further on the journey. It seems fanciful to imagine we would have some of the success that say Bournemouth. Brentford or Brighton have had, but it might not look so fanciful when all the building blocks are in place and the club has grown and shown to have potential.

At some point, it is going to cost an awful lot of money, but for now I agree with you the plan is to improve us bit by bit for a few years and restore our reputation within the game.

I am impatient by nature, but I do appreciate there seems to be an overall long-term plan.  

One of the keys to that journey would I imagine be having a new stadium. Though Luton have shown that an old ground need not be a total barrier to success, one would hope that we would draw bigger crowds than BP can comfortably accommodate as we march up the leagues.    
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 23
Mappers
June 3, 2023, 9:30am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.43
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,326
Gold Stars: 118
Quoted from RonMariner

One of the keys to that journey would I imagine be having a new stadium. Though Luton have shown that an old ground need not be a total barrier to success, one would hope that we would draw bigger crowds than BP can comfortably accommodate as we march up the leagues.    

When we get to league 1 we need higher capacity one way or another . 8-10 teams would bring 2k + we 'sell' 7k home tickets nigh on every game in league 2  ;  we could add a good few home fans to for big one's in the tier up , easily looking at probably nearly 10 games that would be 5 figure gates if capacity was there .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 23
Mappers
June 3, 2023, 9:31am
Champagne Drinker
I still think capacity is an issue now Ron  - 8400 seats .... hypothetically we get Bradord ,Donny and Wrexham first 3 home games - can anyone honestly say that's enough for those games?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 23
gtfc_chris
June 3, 2023, 11:14am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.48
Rep Score: +10 / 0
Approval: +1,465
Gold Stars: 114
Finally had a listen to the interview and quite enjoyed it.

Not a lot was really given away in terms of what we can physically expect to happen but I think that’s unsurprising. In a game where everyone wants to be the best and fans want to see exciting things happen (new training ground, stadium etc), it would be unwise to make bold statements that leave room for waves of criticism if it they’re not achieved.

What I did really take from it is the fact that when they say ambition and long term project they really mean it!

The interview alludes to the idea that they want to see Grimsby in the Premier League but the realism is it’s not likely in their life cycle. Despite that, all the work they will do is geared towards the next incumbents progressing with that ambition.

That along highlights the vast difference between the owners and JF. I’ve said before I was one that although recognising we weren’t ever likely to go great distances under JF, I fell for  and believed he was doing his best to keep the Club going and that new owners may take risks that put our Club in jeopardy, not unlike our neighbours.

Whether JS and AP ever deliver on moving the Club up the leagues I think for certain everyone can see and recognise the dedication and desire to do all they can to make it so. That for me is worth more than the millions they’re likely to have to invest on their venture.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 23
Bristol Mariner
June 3, 2023, 11:34am

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +11 / -5
Approval: +2,877
Gold Stars: 79
Quoted from thefish
Boo… bring Alex May back  

Slade and Powerpoint for me

GTFC Exile, Bristol Mariners
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 23
Mikey_345
June 3, 2023, 12:43pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +11 / -1
Approval: +5,383
Gold Stars: 106
Quoted from Bristol Mariner

Slade and Powerpoint for me

You lose trust..

All Town aren’t we

@GTFCLondon

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 23
Poojah
June 3, 2023, 1:45pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,576
Gold Stars: 1,502
Quoted from Mikey_345

You lose trust..

I find it a real shame that footage of that fans forum has been deleted from the internet. I understand why the current regime might have wanted it gone, it was a total car crash, but I can’t help but feel it should be kept for posterity as a reminder of the absolute clusterfúck we were as a football club.

It was by no means rock bottom, of course, but it was perhaps the best and most iconic example of how awfully the club was being run. If the club’s leadership was prepared to behave like that in public, on camera, can you imagine what on earth must have been going on behind the scenes!?

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 23
Mappers
June 3, 2023, 2:44pm
Champagne Drinker
I would suggest that you  listen to the Peter Swann interviews on the Iron Bru podcast , they are up there with the comedy of that night . Although I have to admit I was disappointed not to find that  fateful night of the fans forum on YouTube (was that the one when they did the hatchet job on the friendly but meek Matt Dean?) The Swann one definately takes the edge off .

What characters
Slade ,Honest John ,Swann ,Mr Shut Up ,Mr David
By gum ,get them in a room together it would be some show .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 23
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Gareth Jennings interview here

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.