chaos33
December 26, 2023, 6:11pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,937
Gold Stars: 360
Quoted from Chrisblor
He's correct in so far as we had a shitload of opportunities in the first half, mostly ruined by Clifton being indecisive, and also managed to hit both the bar and post and forced their keeper into 3 or 4 very good saves. Both the goals we conceded were self-inflicted - the first came from Rodgers stupidly hanging a lazy leg out to deflect the ball past Cartwright who would have otherwise saved comfortably, and then the second came from a combination of Efete, Conteh and Gnahoua all deciding they couldn't be arsed to close down their midfielder and he punished us with a very good low strike into the corner.

Artell additionally said today that the second half was unacceptable, which is correct. I also have no issue with him saying we're definitely not getting relegated after a poor performance (which came after a string of improved performances) to try and instill confidence in a squad he's inherited which is clearly lacking it. Coming out and slating the players in the media isn't going to lead to improved result and performances, but in today's post match interview he inferred that his feedback behind closed doors to the players had been a lot stronger than what he'd said publicly (which is again the correct thing to do).

You’ve just written what I would have said too.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 138
mariner91
December 26, 2023, 6:20pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,652
Gold Stars: 261
I have to be honest I am getting a little concerned.

His post match interviews seem overly optimistic, given the level of performance in the last 2 games.

The corner debacle just a few days ago and it not being changed mid game

Lack of tatical changes when things go wrong. Any sort of changes really.....

We seem to get worked out very quickly

No plan b

Complete collapse in the 2nd half or at the very least a much poorer 2nd half compared with the 1st half.

Manager bounce didn't last very long.

What plan B can you put in place? We’ve no pace,  no height and little physicality so going long is out the question. We certainly don’t have centre backs capable of playing 3 at the back or centre mids good enough to play as just a pairing in the middle. We only have two out and out strikers in the whole squad and one of them has spent half the season injured. Essentially our squad is found so wanting that if the starting eleven and formation isn’t working, there’s virtually no formation change or personnel that will change things in a positive way.

Hurst was normally reasonably good at building squads but this squad is just bad in so many ways. It’s galling that he’s seemingly wasted the FA cup money building one of the worst squads in the club’s history.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 138
pen penfras
December 26, 2023, 6:29pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -126
Gold Stars: 71
His first interview sounded like a caveman with a lot of grunts and not a lot of coherence. The next couple were better and he spoke well even though I think most of what all managers say is balderdash.

The last couple are worrying especially with the performances that go with them. I don't think you can turn most league 2 footballers into the type of player he's setting us up to require. Inheriting the end of Dario Gradi's phenomenal era of youth players at Crewe might mean he got success with it, but I doubt it's possible to do that at Grimsby Town with a perpetually low budget.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 138
Knut Anders Fosters Voles
December 26, 2023, 6:39pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +24 / -1
Approval: +8,828
Gold Stars: 555
Quoted from pen penfras
Inheriting the end of Dario Gradi's phenomenal era of youth players at Crewe might mean he got success with it

That’s an odd way of describing that era!
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 138
MuddyWaters
December 26, 2023, 6:40pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,254
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from pen penfras
His first interview sounded like a caveman with a lot of grunts and not a lot of coherence. The next couple were better and he spoke well even though I think most of what all managers say is balderdash.

The last couple are worrying especially with the performances that go with them. I don't think you can turn most league 2 footballers into the type of player he's setting us up to require. Inheriting the end of Dario Gradi's phenomenal era of youth players at Crewe might mean he got success with it, but I doubt it's possible to do that at Grimsby Town with a perpetually low budget.

Just a simple question for you.

Would you care to elaborate your comments with the occasional fact so we could decide whether you’re on to something or just on something?

Because, at present, it looks like you’re spouting a load of bollox.
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 138
HerveJosse
December 26, 2023, 7:06pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.89
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,206
Gold Stars: 144
I am not sure saying we could have been 4-0 up at half time is very credible after the opposition had 18 shots in that period
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 138
Mappers
December 26, 2023, 7:09pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.43
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,324
Gold Stars: 118
Quoted from mariner91

What plan B can you put in place? We’ve no pace,  no height and little physicality so going long is out the question. We certainly don’t have centre backs capable of playing 3 at the back or centre mids good enough to play as just a pairing in the middle. We only have two out and out strikers in the whole squad and one of them has spent half the season injured. Essentially our squad is found so wanting that if the starting eleven and formation isn’t working, there’s virtually no formation change or personnel that will change things in a positive way.

Hurst was normally reasonably good at building squads but this squad is just bad in so many ways. It’s galling that he’s seemingly wasted the FA cup money building one of the worst squads in the club’s history.

It's becoming apparent the summer window wasn't as good as we hoped , it's actually borderline disaster even halfway through the season - Cartwright is a slight improvement on Crocombe for me and Danny Rose WOULD be good with able support (he must be shaking his head with his decision to go  from an easy gig as 4th choice striker at Stevenage to being the only striker with us ,having to put in an overly stupid amount of work up top by himself ) just to be closer to home .

We have done our regular thing of letting people go and replacing with worse or not at all .

The midfield individually might be ok but the combination of most of them together isn't unless we are given time to play which you are not most of the time in league 2 .

Rodgers looks a relegated player and his confidence is shot ,Maher also seems to have gone backwards . Michee looked lost today second half him , Conteh and Eisa looked like they didnt want to be there . One of our own Harry was dreadful aswell , really bad he just isn't a CM with enough quality - i like him on the left though .

There is no depth in the squad I would take
Mcatee, Taylor , Mani and Abraham up top
Over just Danny Rose , Pyke was a right back for 2 seasons before signing for us , weird signing , Wilson not so weird but has been injured most of the time so far .

Lost for words how bad we were today ,we just have to hope we have got the Artell that did so well for Crewe in his first couple of years and not the one who went scattergun on signings in the last season , 16 games without a win .

Over to Mr Artell

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 138
Spurn boy
December 26, 2023, 7:33pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +1,239
Gold Stars: 29
The last 2 games have shown we have not got the calibre of players that our opponents have and that’s not the fault of David Artell, prior to the 2 defeats I was optimistic that he could get this group of players playing the way he wants and at times he looked like he was succeeding but for some reason the players have not continued the game plans that he set out for them. We definitely need an upgrade in the team but wether he can do this during the January transfer window is a big ask and if you remember January of this year we were really disappointed in what PH brought in as good players aren’t usually available in this transfer window. Slightly worried but I think we will survive. UTM

Dead Eye Dobbin stood motionless waiting, waiting, waiting for the ball to arrive. Back came the right foot, Down came the right foot, Bang ! Headlines around the world as the ball flew into the very top right hand corner of the goal.( Jim Dobbin scoring in the 89th minute for Town against Newcastle United away 24/10/1992 )
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 138
denni266
December 26, 2023, 8:29pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +13 / -22
Approval: +702
Gold Stars: 132
Its ok thinking that we will be ok this season  but yet again some are thinking we will be ok after the summer window .. Will we tho.. No one knows for sure how much was spent this season but if most of our budget only got us what we have got now  it doesnt look good for next season  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 138
mariner91
December 26, 2023, 8:46pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,652
Gold Stars: 261
Quoted from denni266
Its ok thinking that we will be ok this season  but yet again some are thinking we will be ok after the summer window .. Will we tho.. No one knows for sure how much was spent this season but if most of our budget only got us what we have got now  it doesnt look good for next season  

There's no way that teams like Morecambe, Accrington, Barrow, Harrogate, Crewe or Walsall are spending significantly more than us but they currently have much better squads. In the summer we'll have loads out of contract: Amos, Glennon, Waterfall, Efete, Maher, Eisa, Holohan, Ainley, Khan, Clifton and Gnahoua are all out of contract. Out of them I'd probably want to keep Gnahoua and Clifton but not bothered about the rest really. Even then Clifton isn't a good central midfielder for L2 but his versatility and energy is useful to have in the squad. It won't quite be a clean slate next summer but it won't be far off it. Just need to make sure we get enough in as reinforcements in January to stay up first.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 138
14 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Artell’s interviews

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.