14 Pages Prev ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 Next All Recommend Thread
Maringer
December 28, 2023, 10:24am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,512
Gold Stars: 185
You can tell that people are sitting at home twiddling their thumbs with nothing else to do. The usual suspects are out in force having a dig, of course, as they always do after a couple of poor performances, but many other posters seem to be disappearing up their own fundament at the moment as well.

The sun is out at the moment in Clee. Go for a walk, get yourself some fresh air, think about something else and turn down the angst a few notches. Then let's hope for better in the next couple of games.

Wish I could, but I'm back in the office today.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 110 - 138
pen penfras
December 28, 2023, 10:56am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -126
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from HertsGTFC

How does it feel to live in such a world we're you seem completely suffocated by your fixed mind set?

I'd be absolutely amazed if you could nominate a manager who we could have realistically appointed that wouldn't have arrived with a degree of risk.

There's no such thing as a manager with no risk. But one that's last season in football was to get easily relegated and insists on playing a brand of football that clearly isn't suited to our players is more than a degree of risk.

Call me what you want, but at least I'm not jumping in the insane asylum with the morons thinking we can make the playoffs after our 3rd win in 3 months.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 111 - 138
RonMariner
December 28, 2023, 11:00am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,711
Gold Stars: 226
Artell has only been here a few weeks.  Unless he possesses a magic wand or a super power, it's obviously going to take time to convert a team that had mustered only three wins all season under the previous manager into a team consistently winning matches.

Yes, we have had two disappointing results this week, but not many teams come away from Mansfield with anything, and by all accounts we gave them quite a game in the first half.

I think it is the players rather than the manager that bear most responsibility for the current situation. As has been discussed in various threads, many of them just don't seem to manage the basics. Poor delivery, poor decision making, poor passing, lack of tracking back, ball watching, we could go on and on.

But we have seen that on occasion these players are capable of better performances. Confidence and mind set probably have something to do with it. I do think Artell has something to work with here. But it is not an overnight fix.I also think the process will be accelerated by bringing in a few upgrades in January.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 112 - 138
rancido
December 28, 2023, 11:13am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,569
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from pen penfras

There's no such thing as a manager with no risk. But one that's last season in football was to get easily relegated and insists on playing a brand of football that clearly isn't suited to our players is more than a degree of risk.

Call me what you want, but at least I'm not jumping in the insane asylum with the morons thinking we can make the playoffs after our 3rd win in 3 months.

I'm certainly not getting carried away thinking we can make the play-offs after one win. I'm also not writing off a manager after 5 weeks in charge of a squad that he inherited. You mention DA's last season in charge of Crewe when they got " easily relegated" but fail to realise the situation and players that he was forced to work with after getting them promoted in the first case.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 113 - 138
GollyGTFC
December 28, 2023, 11:16am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.68
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +5,965
Gold Stars: 356
Quoted from Maringer
You can tell that people are sitting at home twiddling their thumbs with nothing else to do. The usual suspects are out in force having a dig, of course, as they always do after a couple of poor performances, but many other posters seem to be disappearing up their own fundament at the moment as well.

The sun is out at the moment in Clee. Go for a walk, get yourself some fresh air, think about something else and turn down the angst a few notches. Then let's hope for better in the next couple of games.

Wish I could, but I'm back in the office today.

I don’t think it’s the poor performances that people have a problem with. It’s being told to ignore the evidence of our own eyes.

We were terrible on Boxing Day. To suggest we were the better side during the first half is laughable.

Yes we wasted a few half chances but Mansfield were even more wasteful in front of goal than us and still won 2-0.

I’ll be honest. I didn’t get the excitement about DA getting to job. And it’s too early to have an inkling whether he’s gonna do a good job because he’s having to work with the dross and losers that make up a sizeable portion of our squad

His promotion at Crewe was on points per game when Crewe were (on paper) facing the hardest run in. The 9 matches they had left saw them play 6 games against the other 9 clubs in the top 10 and they had no games against the bottom 8 left to play. Obviously nothing is certain but it looks like they had played all the terrible sides twice and most of the better sides only once. But we’ll never know if his Crewe side would have risen to the challenge and won promotion if the season had been completed or their tough run on would have seen them drop out of the top 3.

And on the face of it his success at Crewe looks a bit like Hurst mk II. Won promotion against short term expectations. A comfortable enough season at a higher level without really threatening the top end of the table and fell apart spectacularly after that.

What I’m getting at is, you’re not going to see me getting excited about him and where he might take us until we’ve actually seen some evidence that he is a good manager. i.e. respect has to be earned and isn’t automatic.

Anyway, I’m not too bothered about performances at the moment. What i want to see if good recruitment in January and getting rid of the culture of losing around the squad. With hindsight signing 4 players who were relegated last season and another 4 or 5 who have been starved of regular first team football prior to joining Town and having them all as key first XI players probably represents poor recruitment.

We desperately need a quality centre back, a couple of upgrades in central midfield and a striker to add depth.

To get back to the initial point. It is possible to say after the match that we were crap/weren’t good enough without throwing the players under a bus. If he had just admitted that Mansfield collectively were better than us i doubt anyone would have complained?
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 114 - 138
diehardmariner
December 28, 2023, 12:00pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,622
Gold Stars: 539
I think it's probably best if people refrain from listening to interviews that involve Artell.  

People are getting way too wound up by his comments.  Just take them with a pinch of salt, they're largely meaningless.  Same with interviews with Stockwood and co.  You don't need to hang on their every word.
Private Message
Reply: 115 - 138
Poojah
December 28, 2023, 12:44pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,549
Gold Stars: 1,500
Quoted from diehardmariner
I think it's probably best if people refrain from listening to interviews that involve Artell.  

People are getting way too wound up by his comments.  Just take them with a pinch of salt, they're largely meaningless.  Same with interviews with Stockwood and co.  You don't need to hang on their every word.

It’s always the same. Town fans (and probably football fans more broadly) have a tendency to hang off the very word of the manager whenever he is new and different / doing well, and then want to deride everything he says, along with his delivery and demeanour, whenever times are tougher.

Buckley was a footballing genius in the good times, but curt and lacking in PR skills whenever the chips were down. Bignot was a breath of fresh air after Hurst mkI, then he quickly became a maniacal buffoon. Jolley was the archetypal intellectual manager when he came in and saved the day, then latterly just dull and uninspiring. Holloway’s bizarre, zany metaphorical detours were received as fun and engaging pre-Covid, but frustrating attempts at avoiding the question in the mess he helped create afterwards. Hurst’s dry, give little away interviews were popular whenever we were successful, but dreary, dull and uninspired when we were stinking the place out.

People seem to take as much significance from the words managers say before and after each game as they do from the performances and results themselves, when in reality it’s only the latter that matter (rhyme not intended). Personally, I find Artell’s speaking style to be a little awkward, but more importantly I’d been reasonably encouraged by performances, playing style and results up to and including the Newport game.

Clearly the last two matches have been less inspiring, but just as it was crazy to be referring to Artell as things like ”the extra special one” after a handful of decent results, it’s equally ridiculous to be writing the bloke off after a couple of poorer ones.

It’s very early days. People need to cool their jets a little bit. It’s pointless getting too high or too low at this point; we’ll know more in the fullness of time. The same would have been true of any managerial appointment.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 116 - 138
HertsGTFC
December 28, 2023, 12:52pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.27
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,937
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from pen penfras

Wasn't Hurst trying to get the team to play out? Maybe DA isn't trying to re-invent the wheel as much as what people may have you beleive.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 117 - 138
Rick12
December 28, 2023, 1:06pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from Poojah

. Hurst’s dry, give little away interviews were popular whenever we were successful, but dreary, dull and uninspired when we were stinking the place out.

Sad to see Hurst leave but I remember pointing out that during the FA Cup run last season a lad who I know  who had seen Ryan Bennet play thought he was ok but nothing to write home about .His pace made a massive difference to his game according to the fella. I know you took me to town a bit on this . Irony of this though is the lad in question was not a bad footballer and played semi pro for one so he had some understanding of the game and probably could rinse you  in a 5 a side game or on a 11 a side a game.

On another note sometimes as armchair football fans or sports fans in general  we don't necessarily understand what it takes to get to the top or make it  at some level due to never having been there(see it amongst some football fans ). As for Hurst I give a lot of credit to him particularly with regards to  his playing career and deserves a lot of credit for that. Look at the percentage of players who start out in academy's and I would say Hurst comparatively speaking  with the playing side was a success which not not that many at all levels in the game achieve if you consider those that start out aged 11 or younger on the academy trail with dreams of making it professional or even semi pro.

Like with Bobby Moore and other famous players a successful career on the pitch dont always mean a successful managerial career.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 118 - 138
The Dogs Testicles
December 28, 2023, 9:47pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Approval: -114
Gold Stars: 12
No presser today??? Is that because of the holidays or because it could have been a little bit salty today??
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 119 - 138
14 Pages Prev ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Artell’s interviews

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.