Reply: 30 - 37
LN8Mariner
February 27, 2024, 6:28am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +313
Gold Stars: 9
Looking at that clip he looks like he’s past the last defender on that angle so possibly was given offside anyway? Won’t have been easy to tell as the free kick for offside will have been taken the same place as a goal kick. Would probably have been more heartbreaking if he had have scored and it had been disallowed!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 37
louth_in_the_south
February 27, 2024, 7:53am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +25 / -12
Approval: +5,691
Gold Stars: 96
If he’d played every game this season I’m pretty confident we’d be in a healthier position than we are now .

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 37
Mappers
February 27, 2024, 8:38am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.43
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,328
Gold Stars: 118
Like quite a few of our players ,he's decent if used correctly and to his strengths - he puts a shift in and when not asked to get on the ball too much can be effective ; he's very good at arriving in the box and has a good shot on him .

I would like to see him in the middle , ideally with Thompson when he's fit and just asked to do what he does best (it looked like the penny had dropped somewhat with the Morecambe performance ) Clifton on the left with Holahan & Thompson in the middle and then one of the more attacking wide players on the right would give me a lot more confidence .

I'm not sure whether the setup against Morecambe was more by circumstance than design though ?

I suppose we will see on Saturday as a good few should be back available you would have thought .

I though Obikwu had a good game on Saturday , he's obviously green but looks a better all-round option to me than Pyke or Wilson ; there was one really nice bit of play on Saturday were he won a 50/50 with his head and got cleaned out , quite cynical from them , something that we seem to struggle with - stopping the play when the other team is on the counter .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 37
heppy88
February 27, 2024, 2:42pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +11 / 0
Approval: +3,079
Gold Stars: 40
With everyone’s current mindset regarding Gav I know this is going to be unpopular. Some have said he is a league 2 player and I would disagree. Although he has many good traits, including good character and the ability to to score, under pressure from the spot, he severely lacks in some of the basics, specifically passing. I would go far as saying he has been consistently poor at even the most basic passing, even when not under pressure. This team is so poor and has been all season, which in part explains our current predicament. As such it’s easy for certain players with certain characteristics to “shine”. But let’s not fool ourselves, there are reasons why Gav has had limited game time and that’s because at this level he’s below average at best.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 37
MuddyWaters
February 27, 2024, 9:07pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,256
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from heppy88
With everyone’s current mindset regarding Gav I know this is going to be unpopular. Some have said he is a league 2 player and I would disagree. Although he has many good traits, including good character and the ability to to score, under pressure from the spot, he severely lacks in some of the basics, specifically passing. I would go far as saying he has been consistently poor at even the most basic passing, even when not under pressure. This team is so poor and has been all season, which in part explains our current predicament. As such it’s easy for certain players with certain characteristics to “shine”. But let’s not fool ourselves, there are reasons why Gav has had limited game time and that’s because at this level he’s below average at best.

I agree.

The fact that Gav’s become the preferred option just shows how weak we are in midfield. Andrews and Green should be nowhere near the starting eleven at this level.
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 37
Hagrid
February 27, 2024, 9:08pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,423
Gold Stars: 534
Quoted from MuddyWaters

I agree.

The fact that Gav’s become the preferred option just shows how weak we are in midfield. Andrews and Green should be nowhere near the starting eleven at this level.

Amazing how some think Green is anything but a non league clogger
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 37
HertsGTFC
February 27, 2024, 9:11pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,953
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from MuddyWaters

I agree.

100%

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 37
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
Print

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.