Yarborough Vaults
March 29, 2024, 3:16pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.27
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +214
Gold Stars: 32
Quoted from barralad

Can you refresh my (fading) memory by providing an official link to anything from the club/owners that included a new stadium on the Docks. Thanks in advance..

Here's Shutes' original plan with the stadium on the Docks. Not that long ago either. Strange there hasn't been much of a clamour for an open air swimming pool previously given the reception this new idea is getting from the stadium deniers.

https://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/news/grimsby-news/tom-shutes-reveals-stunning-plan-4110684

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 70
moosey_club
March 29, 2024, 4:02pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,300
Gold Stars: 226
My only real gripe with schemes like this is the 1000 jobs tag they insert to the application.
The "town deal" original announcements stated 1000's of jobs to be created and housing as well as links up to the docks etc etc.

Shutes has ambitious plans...not knocking him for that but I do sometimes wonder how real he is actually being.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 70
barralad
March 29, 2024, 5:10pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,299
Gold Stars: 127
Quoted from Yarborough Vaults

Here's Shutes' original plan with the stadium on the Docks. Not that long ago either. Strange there hasn't been much of a clamour for an open air swimming pool previously given the reception this new idea is getting from the stadium deniers.

https://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/news/grimsby-news/tom-shutes-reveals-stunning-plan-4110684

With the greàtest of respect that "plan" came from somebody who pulled out of another plan to buy the club. The article talks about Shutes speaking to John Fenty. Maybe I'm being over simplistic but it is hardly surprising that an up to date plan doesn't include an aspect he isn't invested in-unless you are suggesting that he should build the stadium and rent to the club?
If there is nothing from the current owners then, just my opinion, the criticism is a bit unfair.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 70
diehardmariner
March 29, 2024, 5:38pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,671
Gold Stars: 540
Quoted from chaos33

You actually swim in the docks?!?!

I get your diehard reference now. Respect!

Honestly, it's not what you would expect. I'll try dig a photo out.

There are far more hardened people than me who go in all year round.  My enjoyment/tolerance caps out before the clocks go back.
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 70
diehardmariner
March 29, 2024, 5:43pm
Vodka Drinker
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 70
Stadium
March 29, 2024, 6:13pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.77
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: +1,926
Gold Stars: 19
Quoted from diehardmariner
These plans look incredible. Would be huge for the area.

I regularly open water swim in the Docks and there's so much scope for it and water based activities to be a huge part of the local identify and economy.

Think small, get small.

Exactly this.
From another open water swimmer at Grimsby Docks.
Open water swimming and other activities are growing all the time.
A great plan if it comes to fruition.

“There's nothing wrong with the car except that it's on fire.”- Murray Walker
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 70
male private Nale
March 29, 2024, 6:39pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.35
Rep Score: +3 / -2
Approval: -925
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from Stadium

Exactly this.
From another open water swimmer at Grimsby Docks.
Open water swimming and other activities are growing all the time.
A great plan if it comes to fruition.

I bet you can name every open swimmer in this town, if people want to open swim they can already there is a big intercourse off estuary and dock in the town,  creating this will not be a 'build it and they will come' moment.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 70
Stadium
March 29, 2024, 7:20pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.77
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: +1,926
Gold Stars: 19
Quoted from male private Nale

I bet you can name every open swimmer in this town, if people want to open swim they can already there is a big intercourse off estuary and dock in the town,  creating this will not be a 'build it and they will come' moment.

Oh dear.
Embarrassing post.
Refer back to earlier comments.

State of this thread. There’s no wonder most young people leave at the first opportunity & the town’s a shitehole. One bloke with little real attachment to the town spends a wedge buying land & planning a massive redevelopment of the docks, trying to bring in investment, and a load of old codgers dump all over it.

“There's nothing wrong with the car except that it's on fire.”- Murray Walker
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 70
arryarryarry
March 29, 2024, 9:46pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,040
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from Stadium

Oh dear.
Embarrassing post.
Refer back to earlier comments.

State of this thread. There’s no wonder most young people leave at the first opportunity & the town’s a shitehole. One bloke with little real attachment to the town spends a wedge buying land & planning a massive redevelopment of the docks, trying to bring in investment, and a load of old codgers dump all over it.

He has a point though, I very much doubt the thousands of people that visit Cleethorpes do so to go paddling in the Humber.

You should be building attractions for the majority not a very small minority.
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 70
diehardmariner
March 29, 2024, 9:59pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from male private Nale

No, you're absolutely right. Let's just do nothing and watch the town rot into obscurity. Those plans that are a bit different are for other towns.

Feel free to tell us your grand plan for regeneration and rejuvenation of Grimsby. Genuinely curious to see if it extends to anything beyond bringing back Mad Harry's and Norris The Rubber man.
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 70
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › No Docks Stadium

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.