7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Maringer
July 23, 2014, 4:46pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,509
Gold Stars: 185
On last night's performance, it wouldn't surprise me to see Arnold playing as a striker at times this season though I'd have thought he'll start on the wing against Rovers. Assuming that Neilson/Mackreth are the first choice wingers in a 4-4-2, Arnold will be a good one to have on the bench as he could come on for either winger or as a forward as required.

I agree with mariner91 that we need another 2 strikers, however. Pittman looked decent last night, but the question is whether he's willing to stay on for another game as a triallist?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 64
Quagmire
July 23, 2014, 6:52pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +19 / 0
Approval: +926
Gold Stars: 43
Fully expect us to start 442 against Bristol Rovers. I'm pretty sure Paul knows his 11, doubt it'll be any different to this(after suspensions etc)...

Macca

Bignot
Toto
Pearson
Thomas

Mackreth
Brown
Disley
Neilson

Hannah
Shop

Simples. Although obviously it'll be Doig and Magnay and Arnold in for the 3 bad boys first game.

Genuine question - is the side above significantly better than the one towards the end of last season?

There's 4 changes there and right back is certainly weaker (he was second choice right back last season).

Toto or Boyce?  Macreth or Rodman?  Brown or Kerr?

I don't see the significant improvement needed to really make us title challengers.

Definitely short of 2 strikers, and not just 2 to make up the numbers and sit on the bench.  For me they would need to be better than both LJL and Hannah for us to improve.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 64
oldun
July 23, 2014, 7:19pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
Arnold better than Macreth at present. Given he will take Neilson's place I reckon he could be hard to dislodge especially if he sets up a couple of goals and scores himself. Clearly he means business and does not intend to be on the bench.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 64
KingstonMariner
July 23, 2014, 7:44pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Tea bag seats

It's a worry that after all this time we have seen no improvements in tactics or performances, optimism running low and we haven't even kicked a ball in vein. I don't think Hurst will ever know his starting eleven.

If it was anything like last season, we'll kick plenty of balls in vain.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 64
Rob_in_Grimsby
July 23, 2014, 8:42pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +686
Gold Stars: 8
Quoted from MuddyWaters

4-0 wasn't it? People just seeing more of the same, we have a decent squad apart from a pair of strikers who are clearly not good enough. Lennie couldn't trap a bag of cement and I believe that Hannah lives in Offside Close (not very), Offsidetown, Offsideshire.

Why oh why are we expected to accept another year of inept management in this shite league?

because we where not good enough last season and unless they change the rules you don't get promoted by stamping your feet and shouting don't they know we where once in the championship.

You could always throw your money in to the club and let everyone insult you at every turn instead
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 64
MuddyWaters
July 23, 2014, 8:52pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,244
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from Rob_in_Grimsby

because we where not good enough last season and unless they change the rules you don't get promoted by stamping your feet and shouting don't they know we where once in the championship.

You could always throw your money in to the club and let everyone insult you at every turn instead

Instead of looking at the negative, can you not see that I pointed out that we have the makings of a decent squad. My point is that Shop and Hannah weren't good enough last year, how are we supposed to get promoted this?
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 64
Harry Haddock
July 23, 2014, 9:02pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.19
Rep Score: +18 / -8
Approval: +670
Gold Stars: 5
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Instead of looking at the negative, can you not see that I pointed out that we have the makings of a decent squad. My point is that Shop and Hannah weren't good enough last year, how are we supposed to get promoted this?

I'm not saying we'll get promoted as you never know how the season will pan out but our midfield it far better than last season. That alone will result in more goals for Hannah and the Shop

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 64
mariner91
July 23, 2014, 9:07pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,651
Gold Stars: 261
Quoted from MuddyWaters

You're right, they're not good enough strikers to get us promoted but I'm hoping there'll be at least 2 additions. One hopefully with pace to burn.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 64
Garth
July 23, 2014, 9:15pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,921
Gold Stars: 26
Quoted from mariner91

You're right, they're not good enough strikers to get us promoted but I'm hoping there'll be at least 2 additions. One hopefully with pace to burn.

Two  out there now Bogle and Pittman, just need to make it happen before Luton or FGR
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 64
Grimal
July 23, 2014, 9:26pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,858
Gold Stars: 9
Quoted from Tea bag seats

It's a worry that after all this time we have seen no improvements in tactics or performances, optimism running low and we haven't even kicked a ball in vein. [/b]I don't think Hurst will ever know his starting eleven.[b]

I would imagine he knows them quite well ,he speaks to them most days.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 64
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › One question

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.