7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 All Recommend Thread
arryarryarry
July 24, 2014, 5:59pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,043
Gold Stars: 116
For me this notion about teams coming to BP and "parking the bus" is just a bullshit excuse for our inability to beat these teams because of our lack of a decent goal scorer and the p!ssing about with swapping players about.

Last season the likes of Aldershot, Nuneaton, Cambridge, Welling, Macclesfield, Halifax and Woking all left with one or all three points because they played better than us not because they came here to defend and nick a goal.  
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 64
MuddyWaters
July 24, 2014, 6:00pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,256
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from Maringer

I'd disagree with your view that the central attacker in the 4-3-3 needs to be the one scoring the goals. All you need is the goals to come from somewhere so, if LJL (or somebody else) is up there winning the ball, laying it off, or just forcing defenders into mistakes, it is quite possible for the other two attackers to be picking up the pieces and scoring the goals. Of course, you still need a couple of the three strikers to be scoring a decent number of goals, whichever ones they are.

The main issue with 4-3-3 as a formation, I'd say, is that it tends to stay more as a 4-5-1 when the team isn't performing effectively. It is very reliant on the front 3 plus one or two of the midfielders to get up and down the pitch very quickly so the attackers aren't isolated and, when we tried it last season, we were so lacking in pace that this is what tended to happen.

I'd still expect to see us play 4-4-2 the majority of the time this season, but having 4-3-3 (or even 4-5-1 away from home at times) in the locker would be handy, especially against the teams who flood the midfield area with players at BP.

Thanks for making my point for me. If the front three becomes a front one, he needs to be a goalscorer!
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 64
DocTower
July 24, 2014, 6:26pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Rep Score: +10 / -5
Approval: +1,223
Quoted from arryarryarry
For me this notion about teams coming to BP and "parking the bus" is just a bullshit excuse for our inability to beat these teams because of our lack of a decent goal scorer and the p!ssing about with swapping players about.

Last season the likes of Aldershot, Nuneaton, Cambridge, Welling, Macclesfield, Halifax and Woking all left with one or all three points because they played better than us not because they came here to defend and nick a goal.  

Agree with you comment , sometimes we just expect these lesser teams to roll over . Where as when they come here it's like their cup final and seem more up for it than us .
Also , has been said before but our inability to change tactics and our substitutions to change a game .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 64
pontoonlew
July 24, 2014, 7:13pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,041
Gold Stars: 177
Quoted from mariner91

Connell's scoring record was poor before he played for us. You can't say with anymore certainty that Mackreth won't notch 10 goals than I can say he will.

Where has these shed load of girls disappeared from last year? We scored 65 goals last season and most of those goals are still in the squad, the problem was we drew too many because we didn't have the guile to break down teams who park the bus. I'm hoping that with added pace and improvements out wide and in midfield we'll hopefully be able to nick a few more of those games which would make a big difference.

I'm not for a second saying we don't need another striker. I've stated on here a couple of times that I think we need at least 2. For me, I'd like to see someone with pace such as Pittman sign (if fit I think he'd be a great signing) and a clever player in the vein of Gary Jones as that is something I think we lack currently going forward. But people are acting as if we scored no goals last year when in reality, last year's total plus a player capable of getting around the 15 mark (ideally in close games) would make a considerable difference to our league points and position. I don't think we'd ever be a team that scores for fun under Hurst as he was a defensive player and sets his teams up to be solid. And that's fine, I'd rather we went up winning most games 1-0 than to fail in the play offs scoring 100. But he's recognised what we were lacking going forward last year (not hard granted) and has so far acted on it.

Connell hadn't played at this level before, our latest bout of signings have.

Last year 65 goals wasn't enough, I believe it was the lowest of anybody in the play-offs? Also, saying you'd rather us win games 1-0 every game rather than score 100 goals. That's all well and good, but the form in the season isn't 'out the window' in the play-offs like people said going into the play-offs. The reason we didn't get the result in the first game in the play-offs was the lack of fire power up front, we should have won that first leg and would've with a goalscorer. That wasn't a problem that just 'cropped up' in the play-offs, it was an ongoing problem throughout the season that Hurst failed to address.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 64
Maringer
July 24, 2014, 8:21pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,542
Gold Stars: 185
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Thanks for making my point for me. If the front three becomes a front one, he needs to be a goalscorer!

Well, no.

As noted, if the front three becomes a front one, you're doing it wrong in the first place!

You're also unlikely to score many goals - how many players are there actually out there who score goals when playing the lone striker role and outnumbered 2 or 3 to one by defenders? At this level, pretty much none.

If you're deliberately playing 4-5-1 away from home you need a player to hold up the ball to relieve pressure and allow other players to break forward - not necessarily one to score goals! Any of those are a bonus.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 64
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › One question

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.