scrumble
July 24, 2014, 8:13am

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +12 / -2
Approval: +986
Gold Stars: 10
Quoted from Nelly GTFC
Not sure how much Peterborough offered, but makes me think back to when Bristol City offered 300k for Michael Reddy, boom hip injury, 300k value lost.

Probally 400k+ lost through fate, and no better off in the short, or long term.

Fenty might think twice about holding on to players who could probally fetch a price in the future...?

And what would the fans reaction have been had he sold either player? "Lacks ambition" would have been a well worn phrase

Unless we get offered seven figure sums, fans will never be happy at losing a 20+ goal scorer

Byddwn ond yn canu pan fyddwn yn pysgota
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 56
July 24, 2014, 8:56am
Guest User
It's pretty easy to see what to do with the benefit of 20-20 hindsight.

This forum would have been volcanic if Reddy and/or Hearn had been sold at the times mentioned.
Reply: 41 - 56
Chrisblor
July 24, 2014, 9:50am

Elemér Berkessy
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +53 / -18
Approval: +8,986
Gold Stars: 243
Quoted from diehardmariner

Underhand tactics?  intercourse me. He hardly brought down the Government.

He made sure he kept all possible options open to him for the future.  Would you have honestly done anything different in your job?

In my job I don't have a weird group of people who are loyal to my current employer following me around asking about my future career plans, nor have I spent the last two years doing precisely intercourse all while still getting paid. In any case, it's possible to keep your options open as a footballer without outright lying. It's clear from Hurst, Fenty and Hearn's comments after he joined Mansfield that leaving had been his intention all along (even while he still had another year on his contract at Town - which is underhand). He should have either been forthright about this, or simply suggested he didn't know if he'd still be at Town at the start of this season. If he hadn't started banging on about wanting to earn a new deal at Town and made out his early release was only to save the club a bit of money, there wouldn't be so much animosity towards him.

gary jones
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 56
WOZOFGRIMSBY
July 24, 2014, 11:29am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +9,076
Gold Stars: 195
Quoted from scrumble

And what would the fans reaction have been had he sold either player? "Lacks ambition" would have been a well worn phrase

Unless we get offered seven figure sums, fans will never be happy at losing a 20+ goal scorer

£12500.73???

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 56
diehardmariner
July 24, 2014, 12:33pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,755
Gold Stars: 544
Quoted from Chrisblor

In my job I don't have a weird group of people who are loyal to my current employer following me around asking about my future career plans, nor have I spent the last two years doing precisely intercourse all while still getting paid. In any case, it's possible to keep your options open as a footballer without outright lying. It's clear from Hurst, Fenty and Hearn's comments after he joined Mansfield that leaving had been his intention all along (even while he still had another year on his contract at Town - which is underhand). He should have either been forthright about this, or simply suggested he didn't know if he'd still be at Town at the start of this season. If he hadn't started banging on about wanting to earn a new deal at Town and made out his early release was only to save the club a bit of money, there wouldn't be so much animosity towards him.

To him it's a job.  That's all it is.  The fact people worship/worshipped him is irrelevant, it's still a job to him and he wants to do the best for himself and his family.

At some point in your life everyone will say something that you think your employer will want to hear, even when you know full well it's not the truth.  But it's the best thing to do for yourself.  

Look after number one, be that someone working in Maccies or a professional footballer.

Private Message
Reply: 44 - 56
lobsterpot
July 24, 2014, 3:24pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +18 / -2
Approval: +742
Gold Stars: 15
Having loved and supported Hearn as a player for us, then seeing how he lied, plus not wanting any opposition player to score against us anyways, i'll boo who the fook i want thank you very much! Is this just another typical fishy ' if all peeps dont agree with what you say cos' you must be right then they get slated' thing? zzzzz bore off and top ya flask up.

" YOU ALWAYS SCORE FROM OUR CORNERS, SCORE FROM OUR CORNERS........"

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 56
jonnyboy82
July 24, 2014, 3:42pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.27
Rep Score: +71 / -36
Approval: +5,688
Gold Stars: 95
Quoted from lobsterpot
Having loved and supported Hearn as a player for us, then seeing how he lied, plus not wanting any opposition player to score against us anyways, i'll boo who the fook i want thank you very much! Is this just another typical fishy ' if all peeps dont agree with what you say cos' you must be right then they get slated' thing? zzzzz bore off and top ya flask up.

You have pretty much summed it up.

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 56
MuddyWaters
July 24, 2014, 3:42pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.59
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,291
Gold Stars: 236
Tend to think it's as well to leave it alone. We paid him three years salary for one good one, I know he didn't intend to get injured but he still wanted to be away. Clearly a fully fit Liam Hearn would be an asset to us but you could argue that if he'd stayed fully fit he wouldn't have still been here anyway.
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 56
WOZOFGRIMSBY
July 24, 2014, 4:06pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +9,076
Gold Stars: 195
So why on earth were we putting all the time and money into his rehabilitation then??

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 56
Tommy
July 24, 2014, 5:07pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,869
Gold Stars: 76
I'm not going on Friday but if I was, I wouldn't boo or cheer him.

I don't begrudge him for leaving us. But he didn't need to come out with all that crap when it sounds like he wanted away at least a year ago (if not earlier) and had no intention of coming back to us.

And, similarly to Connell, someone who in effect only had one season with us, isn't worthy of the heroic, "legend" status that gets thrown around too easily these days.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 56
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Liam

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.