9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
July 28, 2014, 3:16pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Granted that every team needs bodies in the squad and allowing for the fact I haven't seen Clay play, PH's reasoning makes sense on one level. But there was an alternative and I cannot understand why he and JF didn't take it - if we need temporary reinforcement we can use the loan system. Cheaper and quite possibly better. Why pay someone to be your third or fourth reserve midfield player on a contract to do nothing most of the time but sit in the stand?

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 82
Mariner_501
July 28, 2014, 3:17pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +14 / -8
Approval: +227
Gold Stars: 27
We never will get out of this league with Hurst in charge. Does Marinette still do those prediction box things these days? Will if so then stick this in.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 82
headingly_mariner
July 28, 2014, 3:17pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,342
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from jonnyboy82

if its alright with you I will use the judgement of me seeing him in 4 matches and the very good knowledge of a few York fans who said think jamal fyfield but in midfield when he joined on trial thankyou very much.

have you seen him play ?

i certainly have and to be honest i wasn't impressed, that said he didnt do a lot wrong, he certainly doesn't look a spectacular player but i would rather make my mind up after seeing him play when it counts. He's not going to be a starter, that i am pretty much sure of but he might be a useful squad player.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 82
Garth
July 28, 2014, 3:19pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,921
Gold Stars: 26
Granted that every team needs bodies in the squad and allowing for the fact I haven't seen Clay play, PH's reasoning makes sense on one level. But there was an alternative and I cannot understand why he and JF didn't take it - if we need temporary reinforcement we can use the loan system. Cheaper and quite possibly better. Why pay someone to be your third or fourth reserve midfield player on a contract to do nothing most of the time but sit in the stand?

Maybe we missed out on Hinchclift (sp) who most thought was a decent player
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 82
grimsby pete
July 28, 2014, 3:20pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,796
Gold Stars: 222
Quoted from pontoonlew

A team full of 'triers' never won anybody a league Pete.

I agree but knocking the confidence out of them before the season starts,

Is helping no one.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 82
jonnyboy82
July 28, 2014, 3:26pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.28
Rep Score: +71 / -36
Approval: +5,688
Gold Stars: 95
Quoted from headingly_mariner

i certainly have and to be honest i wasn't impressed, that said he didnt do a lot wrong, he certainly doesn't look a spectacular player but i would rather make my mind up after seeing him play when it counts. He's not going to be a starter, that i am pretty much sure of but he might be a useful squad player.

ok, but don't you find it just a waste of a wage which could be put towards that goalscorer which we all want but paul cant seem to get.

if we have injuries in the midfield then fine look at someone but I am positive there would have been better out there.

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 82
headingly_mariner
July 28, 2014, 4:10pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,342
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from jonnyboy82

ok, but don't you find it just a waste of a wage which could be put towards that goalscorer which we all want but paul cant seem to get.

if we have injuries in the midfield then fine look at someone but I am positive there would have been better out there.

I am hoping pittman will be decent, it's about not panicking and finding the right striker, it might be a loan or a late move that might not come till just before the season, even successful teams need the odd squad player, look at David May's medal collection!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 82
July 28, 2014, 4:35pm
Guest User
Quoted from headingly_mariner

You only really know if a signing is shocking after a sustained period of time, we don't know what Hurst has seen in him and we don't know how far down the pecking order he is, how much he is on or where and how he wants him to play.

It might be worth giving players a chance before writing them off completely.

I think there are a lot of fans who have been watching town for years and years that know a good footballer when they see one, likewise a footballer who offers the team nothing and is unfairly heading for a barracking at some point if the team fails.
I think it's an insult to these fans when hurst panic buys a poor player of such ilk, a player who in games on trial when he will play his heart out to gain a contract and still look excrement.
Since hust as been in charge it's been us fans that have seen his stubborn formations not working only to change things around and work due to fan pressure, it was also fan pressure that got players like Thanoj amongst others back in the team.
I will give mr hurst the benefit of the doubt and get behind him and the team but this player Clay is on a hiding to nothing I fear, if I'm wrong and he turns out out to be a conference wizard that gets us out of this shithole then I will eat my own bollox.
Reply: 37 - 82
brad_gtfc
July 28, 2014, 4:58pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +16 / -3
Approval: +269
Quoted from Tommy
Pleased we've got Pittman on board. I expect him to be a real threat up front.

I expect there's going to be plenty of negative comments about signing Clay. But let's give him a chance to show what he can do in competitive games with our stronger teams out. And also don't forget he's essentially coming here to be 4th choice centre-midfielder. We were never going to have 4 top quality CM's on decent wages with 2 always on the bench or in the stands.

Think this opinion is to level headed for The Fishy mate.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 82
moosey_club
July 28, 2014, 4:59pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,244
Gold Stars: 226
An astute signing is Clay.......LJL is instantly no longer the focus of everybodies attention and the sh1t can fly somewhere else, leaving him to relax and score thousands of goals.

Well done Paul and yet again you have out foxed us all with this signing, despite the lad being right under our noses no fvcker actually thought you would give a professional football contract to him.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 82
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Clay and Pittman Sign

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.