5 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 All Recommend Thread
The_Laughing_Mariner
August 18, 2014, 11:47am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.47
Rep Score: +17 / -5
Approval: +1,041
Gold Stars: 10
A couple of inches would have seen the two shots that hit the woodwork go in, and miss Mildenhalls flailing arm, and we are 3 wins from 3,

<'(((((<

When I was a little boy
I asked my daddy what would i be
would I be United, would i be Leeds
Here's what he said to me

Oh Grimsby Grimsby
Whatever will be will be
You'll follow then faithfully
Oh Grimsby Grimsby

Tell me Mam me Mam
I dont want no tea no tea
I'm watching the Grimsby
Tell me Mam me mam
Logged Offline
Private Message
RonMariner
August 18, 2014, 11:51am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,669
Gold Stars: 226
If "if's and an's"
were pots and pans
There'd be no need for tinkers.  

Or put another way....

If my aunt had wheels she'd be a trolley.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 49
moosey_club
August 18, 2014, 12:27pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,244
A couple of inches would have seen the two shots that hit the woodwork go in, and miss Mildenhalls flailing arm, and we are 3 wins from 3,

and if Nuneaton hadnt missed a sitter  and Dover had scored their penalty we would be looking at 1 point.
If's buts and maybe's.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 49
vuvuzela_hater
August 18, 2014, 12:30pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +46
A couple of inches and my girlfriend might still be with me. C'est la vie.      UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 49
marinerjase
August 18, 2014, 1:06pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +31 / -1
Approval: +2,639
Gold Stars: 147
As has been said above - yes we could have 9 points - but we could also have 0. Every game the opposition has had chances, same as us.

Fact of the matter is we have 3 points.

Another fact is we don't create anywhere near enough chances (regardless of who's missing them), how many times during the last year have you gone away from a game thinking the football was decent, played at a tempo, stretched opposition, had a decent amount of shots on goal etc??

‘I just f*cking threw myself at it’

Mani D 23 May 2022
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 49
Maringer
August 18, 2014, 1:11pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,491
Gold Stars: 185
My hope is that the addition of pace to our squad will help us up the tempo and put the opposition under more pressure, at home especially.

Unfortunately, the new, pacier players have mostly been absent due to injuries in the first few matches. I'm looking forward to seeing how Arnold does (possibly as a striker) as I thought he looked quick and aggressive in pre-season.

I remember Mackreth causing us problems in the past so hopefully he'll settle into the team and become a threat as well.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 49
GrimRob
August 18, 2014, 1:32pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,403
Gold Stars: 113

Exactly. We could have won every game, we could have lost every game. Every match is a throw of the dice, people forget that sometimes.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 6 - 49
pontoonlew
August 18, 2014, 1:35pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +8,998
Gold Stars: 174
Quoted from GrimRob

Exactly. We could have won every game, we could have lost every game. Every match is a throw of the dice, people forget that sometimes.

Every match is not a 'throw of the dice' whatsoever. It's not just a random outcome, you can tell yourself that though if it makes you feel better about the shite you watch week in week out lately.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 49
GrimRob
August 18, 2014, 1:39pm

Quoted from pontoonlew

Every match is not a 'throw of the dice' whatsoever. It's not just a random outcome, you can tell yourself that though if it makes you feel better about the shite you watch week in week out lately.

Of course it's a throw of the dice. Every sporting event is, they depend on numerous small incidents which could go one of many ways. Football, being a very low scoring game, is very unpredictable. Look at any bookie's odds, nothing is certain, nearly everything is very uncertain. Obviously some results are more likely than others but no result is pre-ordained.

~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Reply: 8 - 49
pontoonlew
August 18, 2014, 1:45pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +8,998
Gold Stars: 174
It's obviously not a fully predictable but if we are treating games against teams with lesser players as a 'roll of the dice' then we might as well pack up and go home. Though saying that with some of Hursts recent decisions I'm tempted to say you never bloody know what's going to happen.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 49
Abdul19
August 18, 2014, 2:10pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,555
Gold Stars: 216
If it was a roll of the dice why were we massive favourites with the bookies to win on Saturday?

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 49
WOZOFGRIMSBY
August 18, 2014, 2:21pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,816
Gold Stars: 178
It is no way a throw of the dice. There are way too many external factors that go into it. Anything with so many outcomes cannot be judged. Anything from the weather down to the referee can be accountable. It is in no way an intrinsic sport where there are no effects into the outcome of the result. Each decision has countless probabilities to it

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 49
mike_d
August 18, 2014, 2:50pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +390
Gold Stars: 4
And yet most of the people posting on here know exactly how to fix the problems at the club.

To quote - Insanely amazing or amazingly insane. Life as a Town Fan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 49
WOZOFGRIMSBY
August 18, 2014, 2:58pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from mike_d
And yet most of the people posting on here know exactly how to fix the problems at the club.

I don't think that's the case mate. I think everyone's had enough of being in this league and/or administration.

Rose is on fire

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 49
mike_d
August 18, 2014, 3:05pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +390
Gold Stars: 4
I'm going to repeat something I've said before - do we think we're a bigger club than Oxford?

How long did they take to come back up?

It really does come down to a bit of luck to change our fortunes, and then confidence grows. Of course, the old adage, the more I practise, the luckier I get may apply..

We're not happy with the situation, but we need to be more positive in our methods of trying to help.

Again, my opinion - it disagrees with others but that's part of lifes rich tapestry and all that.

To quote - Insanely amazing or amazingly insane. Life as a Town Fan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 49
barralad
August 18, 2014, 3:19pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,290
Gold Stars: 126
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY
It is no way a throw of the dice. There are way too many external factors that go into it. Anything with so many outcomes cannot be judged. Anything from the weather down to the referee can be accountable. It is in no way an intrinsic sport where there are no effects into the outcome of the result. Each decision has countless probabilities to it

I might be doing you a grave disservice here but isn't that exactly what "a throw of the dice" is? Confused of Scartho....

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 49
Marinerz93
August 18, 2014, 3:20pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.56
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1

A couple of inches are you saying that a former striker whose song said he had the extra inches would have scored  

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 49
GrimRob
August 18, 2014, 3:58pm

Quoted from Abdul19
If it was a roll of the dice why were we massive favourites with the bookies to win on Saturday?

We weren't massive favourites at all. I think we were around 1/2 which means we're only expected to win about two thirds of the time. It's like rolling a dice and needing to get 3,4,5 or 6. You're more likely to than not but it's worse odds than Russian Roulette!

~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Reply: 17 - 49
RonMariner
August 18, 2014, 4:59pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,669
Quoted from mike_d
I'm going to repeat something I've said before - do we think we're a bigger club than Oxford?

It really does come down to a bit of luck to change our fortunes, and then confidence grows. Of course, the old adage, the more I practise, the luckier I get may apply..

We're not happy with the situation, but we need to be more positive in our methods of trying to help.

Again, my opinion - it disagrees with others but that's part of lifes rich tapestry and all that.

Yes, and it took Luton quite a while to escape too. Even then it was only due to a very lucrative cup run the previous season which enabled them to buy their way out. Credit to their manager for spending wisely though.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 49
MuddyWaters
August 18, 2014, 5:11pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,233
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from mike_d

I don't give a sh1t about Oxford, Cambridge, Luton, Newport or any other team that's either in or been in the Bananarama Conference (it's even got a sh1t name). I care about Grimsby Town and its' future, that's why I'm fed up of the negativity of our current manager, his negative football, his one dimensional tactics and his ability to put square pegs in round holes.

I'm neither pro or anti Alan Buckley, but would he have bigged up Caine Winfarrah after Tuesday and then played a central midfielder in his place on Saturday? And then go one further and say in Monday's paper, 'I want another player to replace Aswad' undermining the lad's position further??
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 49
Garth
August 18, 2014, 5:18pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,921
Gold Stars: 26
Quoted from GrimRob

We weren't massive favourites at all. I think we were around 1/2 which means we're only expected to win about two thirds of the time. It's like rolling a dice and needing to get 3,4,5 or 6. You're more likely to than not but it's worse odds than Russian Roulette!

Problem with us is we are using the wrong dice, ours has draw on all six faces
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 49
DocTower
August 18, 2014, 5:27pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Rep Score: +10 / -5
Approval: +1,223
I'm fed up of the negativity of our current manager, his negative football, his one dimensional tactics and his ability to put square pegs in round holes.

I'm neither pro or anti Alan Buckley, but would he have bigged up Caine Winfarrah after Tuesday and then played a central midfielder in his place on Saturday? And then go one further and say in Monday's paper, 'I want another player to replace Aswad' undermining the lad's position further??[/quote]

Everything you have written is 100% the way I'm feeling  . Didn't we expect him to look for another defender though ? Think the next couple of games will be make or break for a number of fans.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 49
WOZOFGRIMSBY
August 18, 2014, 5:44pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Garth

Problem with us is we are using the wrong dice, ours has draw on all six faces

The mind does boggle!

Rose is on fire

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 49
Maringer
August 18, 2014, 5:48pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from DocTower
Think the next couple of games will be make or break for a number of fans.

Only if they are particularly daft.

We could easily lose the next 2 games but then win 10 in a row. Well, not easily, but you know what I mean.

An unimpressive Mansfield team went on a lengthy winning run the other year which earned them promotion. They were tonked 4-1 by two teams in their first 6 games (once by us), so who would have thought that they might be the ones to go straight up?

How many times does it have to be pointed out that we're only 3 games into the season!?! You'd think we were rooted to the bottom of the table and with no possible hope for the future the way some are going on.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 49
August 18, 2014, 5:50pm
Guest User
Caine must be starting to think his future lies elsewhere already, I thought Cain was cover for Aswad?  he was one of the best players on the pitch Tuesday night when he came on and certainty didn't let his manager down, I felt Hurst should of give him more praise for that performance as well then he give him) so to then get dropped for a player playing out of position, and now to find his manager is looking for a replacement must be a right slap in the face.
It seems to me Hurst is a bit of a fanny when it comes to the big decisions he's got previous now as well when taking the easy option and dropping the young lads that should be given a decent run in the side,  I've got no faith in the man bringing these lads on to the next level and fully expect to see Caine on loan at Gainsborough or Boston before the season is out.
Reply: 24 - 49
August 18, 2014, 5:53pm
Guest User
Quoted from 2578
Caine must be starting to think his future lies elsewhere already, I thought Cain was cover for Aswad?  he was one of the best players on the pitch Tuesday night when he came on and certainty didn't let his manager down, I felt Hurst should of give him more praise for that performance as well then he give him) so to then get dropped for a player playing out of position, and now to find his manager is looking for a replacement must be a right slap in the face.
It seems to me Hurst is a bit of a fanny when it comes to the big decisions he's got previous now as well when taking the easy option and dropping the young lads that should be given a decent run in the side,  I've got no faith in the man bringing these lads on to the next level and fully expect to see Caine on loan at Gainsborough or Boston before the season is out.

Sorry only just seen the thread on Aswad replacement.
Reply: 25 - 49
ackomariner
August 18, 2014, 6:15pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.47
Rep Score: +20 / -8
Approval: +1,216
Gold Stars: 3

How many times does it have to be pointed out that we're only 3 games into the season!?! You'd think we were rooted to the bottom of the table and with no possible hope for the future the way some are going on.[/quote]

And how many times does it take till you get it ?

It's not just three games this season, it's been since Christmas 2012 for me on how ph and rs and now ph on his own have done. He's well out of his depth and should have gone after the last game against gateshead

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 49
DocTower
August 18, 2014, 6:20pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Rep Score: +10 / -5
Approval: +1,223
Quoted from Maringer

Only if they are particularly daft.

We could easily lose the next 2 games but then win 10 in a row. Well, not easily, but you know what I mean.

An unimpressive Mansfield team went on a lengthy winning run the other year which earned them promotion. They were tonked 4-1 by two teams in their first 6 games (once by us), so who would have thought that they might be the ones to go straight up?

How many times does it have to be pointed out that we're only 3 games into the season!?! You'd think we were rooted to the bottom of the table and with no possible hope for the future the way some are going on.

I respect your view and admire your enthusiasm so far . I really want to be told that I was wrong , but I've seen nothing different from last season . Bumbling along chopping changing , your right we could go and win but I just don't see it .
Everyone has a view on whats gone and going wrong , the frustration seems never ending and this forum allows us fans to express our views .
Unfortunately 3 of our little band have given up coming due the style of play and lack of atmosphere and also not value for money .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 49
Maringer
August 18, 2014, 6:51pm
Barley Wine Drinker
It seems to me that it would be sensible to wait and see how we do with an (almost) full squad in the coming matches. Aswad is a loss but if everyone can get back to full fitness and we get another player or two in at the club, there will be plenty more options to choose from.

I don't mind if people want to stop supporting the team whilst Hurst is in charge as it's their money and they can spend it however they please. However, I do hope those same posters won't be interjecting in numerous threads when results don't go our way and then keeping quiet when we win.

That's the way that things tend to go on messageboards with a victory seeing a fraction of the number of posts that a defeat or disappointing draw does. The olden days were much better - you'd have a moan for a few minutes with your mates over a couple of pints when results went badly, then continue to talk about something more interesting instead!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 49
Wrawby_Mariner
August 18, 2014, 7:13pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.72
Rep Score: +50 / -13
Approval: +862
Gold Stars: 6
Quoted from ackomariner

And how many times does it take till you get it ?

It's not just three games this season, it's been since Christmas 2012 for me on how ph and rs and now ph on his own have done. He's well out of his depth and should have gone after the last game against gateshead

[/quote]

The problem is, if PH had gone a lot of the players would have followed and we would have had to rebuild from scratch again. That may not have been a bad thing but we have lacked continuity in the past and I suspect thats what was on the mind of the club board post season.

My backside hurts being sat on that fence.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype Skype
Reply: 29 - 49
Garth
August 18, 2014, 7:31pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,921
Gold Stars: 26
Quote Doc Tower

I respect your view and admire your enthusiasm so far . I really want to be told that I was wrong , but I've seen nothing different from last season . Bumbling along chopping changing , your right we could go and win but I just don't see it

What he says.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 49
August 19, 2014, 6:11am
Guest User
Quoted from pontoonlew
It's obviously not a fully predictable but if we are treating games against teams with lesser players as a 'roll of the dice' then we might as well pack up and go home.

The way attitudes are sliding downhill quicker than a car with no brakes, I'd snap your hand off right now !  

Quoted from pontoonlew
Though saying that with some of Hursts recent decisions I'm tempted to say you never bloody know what's going to happen.

I'd say the exact opposite !

0-0 was predictable first game  (had it !)
0-0 hardly a suprise next time
1-1 ok give you that one...

Gateshead 0-0 ?
I'm having a fiver at least !

Bad luck aside, has anyone ever wondered why we're drawing so many 0-0 ?
And what the connection is between...

a manager put under too much (arguably unfair) pressure by it's fans almost like he's being attacked
and
an defensive "safety first" side out on the pitch

Go figure !

Quoted from MuddyWaters
I'm neither pro or anti Alan Buckley, but would he have bigged up Caine Winfarrah after Tuesday and then played a central midfielder in his place on Saturday? And then go one further and say in Monday's paper, 'I want another player to replace Aswad' undermining the lad's position further??

I thought Winfarrash should have started too (and he did well !)
But maybe Hurst was ALSO worried about that early cockup he made when Nuneaton nearly scored !?

Quoted from ackomariner
He's well out of his depth

How can he be out of his depth after successive playoff places ?

If the forum cheered up and stopped complaining, I'd be rushing to the bookies to place a bet on automatic promotion !

Quoted from DocTower
your right we could go and win but I just don't see it .

There's irony in there somewhere !  
Reply: 31 - 49
arryarryarry
August 19, 2014, 1:32pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,041
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from Wrawby_Mariner

The problem is, if PH had gone a lot of the players would have followed and we would have had to rebuild from scratch again. That may not have been a bad thing but we have lacked continuity in the past and I suspect thats what was on the mind of the club board post season.

My backside hurts being sat on that fence.

and you know this because......
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 49
FishOutOfWater
August 19, 2014, 1:40pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.14
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,574
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from 120797

The way attitudes are sliding downhill quicker than a car with no brakes, I'd snap your hand off right now !  

I'd say the exact opposite !

0-0 was predictable first game  (had it !)
0-0 hardly a suprise next time
1-1 ok give you that one...

Gateshead 0-0 ?

a manager put under too much (arguably unfair) pressure by it's fans almost like he's being attacked
and

Go figure !

And yet (if we're performing just as we always have done according to some of those who have had enough of Hurst's style of football) we only had four 0-0 draws last season.

Two already this season (and almost a third the way it was heading against Dover) does seem a bit strange and yet another one at Gateshead might not be too bad a result  
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 33 - 49
TownSNAFU5
August 19, 2014, 1:50pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,876
Gold Stars: 42
We are (at least) unbeaten in the league.  Woe betide us if had lost the first 3 games.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 49
Maringer
August 19, 2014, 1:59pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from FishOutOfWater

Two already this season (and almost a third the way it was heading against Dover) does seem a bit strange and yet another one at Gateshead might not be too bad a result  

The 0-0 draws this season aren't too strange when you consider the injury problems amongst our attackers. Just a pity we haven't had 3 clean sheets as well.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 49
StiggsGTFC
August 19, 2014, 2:14pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +41
[quote=120797]

and

Go figure !  [/quote

Cart before the horse!!!!  Its defensive displays at home that causes the problems with fans, not t'other way around.....

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 49
August 20, 2014, 3:39am
Guest User
Quoted from FishOutOfWater
And yet (if we're performing just as we always have done according to some of those who have had enough of Hurst's style of football) we only had four 0-0 draws last season.

Well I see your point !
Point is, would fans still be prepared to gracefully accept defeat applauding the effort if we took MORE risks going for 3 points ?
I'd love the answer to be "yes" but suspect it's still gonna be "no" regardless of what happens on the pitch.
I long for a day where the team can be appluaded for their effort irrespective of the final result.

Quoted from StiggsGTFC
Cart before the horse!!!!  Its defensive displays at home that causes the problems with fans, not t'other way around.....

Well first think Maringer has a good point.
And would add other injuries, near misses, 1 defensive mistake didn't help.

Personally I'm not sure what else we could have done to attack more at home on Saturday. (odd sub maybe)
I think the "defensive displays" are actually from the opposition who make like difficult for us at BP.
Dover came in a 3-5-2 and spent a fair bit of time defending. Nuneaton certainly "shut up shop"
Reply: 37 - 49
KingstonMariner
August 20, 2014, 4:23am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from 120797

Well I see your point !
Point is, would fans still be prepared to gracefully accept defeat applauding the effort if we took MORE risks going for 3 points ?
I'd love the answer to be "yes" but suspect it's still gonna be "no" regardless of what happens on the pitch.
I long for a day where the team can be appluaded for their effort irrespective of the final result.

Well first think Maringer has a good point.
And would add other injuries, near misses, 1 defensive mistake didn't help.

Personally I'm not sure what else we could have done to attack more at home on Saturday. (odd sub maybe)
I think the "defensive displays" are actually from the opposition who make like difficult for us at BP.
Dover came in a 3-5-2 and spent a fair bit of time defending. Nuneaton certainly "shut up shop"

I thought he was supposed to have been a handful.  

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 49
KingstonMariner
August 20, 2014, 4:27am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from 120797

How can he be out of his depth after successive playoff places ?

If the forum cheered up and stopped complaining, I'd be rushing to the bookies to place a bet on automatic promotion !

Are you saying we would get promotion if we only posted positive messages?

If I even half-suspected that would work I'd be dropping smiley faces all over the place.  

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 49
August 20, 2014, 4:36am
Guest User
There'd be a much better chance if people didn't moan as much.

How can the team be expected to go "all guns blazing" (at Heed) taking more risks knowing a defeat is always gonna result in a backlash ?

Yet we're unbeaten, quite ironic !
Reply: 40 - 49
ginnywings
August 20, 2014, 7:56am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,122
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from mike_d

They got a new owner and he installed a new manager- Chris Wilder. He got them to a play off spot but they lost points for an ineligible player and lost out, only to go on the next season and get promoted.

Luton also went through several managers before getting it right as do most teams in this league. Hurst has had long enough IMO.

Lifes rich tapestry.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 49
Abdul19
August 20, 2014, 12:07pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,555
Gold Stars: 216
If that's not a rhetorical question it was 4 years.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 49
Tom13
August 20, 2014, 8:49pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +12 / 0
Approval: +270
Quoted from arryarryarry

and you know this because......

McKeown IIRC said in the paper that his relationship with Hurst was one of the main reasons he stayed.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 49
lew chaterleys lover
August 20, 2014, 9:57pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,716
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from 120797
There'd be a much better chance if people didn't moan as much.

How can the team be expected to go "all guns blazing" (at Heed) taking more risks knowing a defeat is always gonna result in a backlash ?

Yet we're unbeaten, quite ironic !

Words completely fail me with your moronic comments.

Do you really believe, for even one nano second, that any comments on this board is going to have any effect whatsoever on professional footballers playing an away game at Gateshead?

Their performance might be affected because there would be a backlash from fans on a forum?

Do you think Paul Hurst includes the current Fishy views in his pre match strategy meeting?

The last time you inundated this board it completely ruined it. It is obvious you are trying to do the same again.

Can't you find another forum to bore the pants off?

Private Message
Reply: 44 - 49
August 21, 2014, 12:22am
Guest User
Do you think Paul Hurst includes the current Fishy views in his pre match strategy meeting?

I'd put money on him readng the fishy !
As the centre of GTFC "opinion" you think he wouldn't ?  
Do you really believe, for even one nano second, that any comments on this board is going to have any effect whatsoever on professional footballers playing an away game at Gateshead?

Well put it this way...
I think there's a fair old chance it might have an effect on the manager and his tactics (see players) for sure !
If you want to think it's moronic it's up to you.
Their performance might be affected because there would be a backlash from fans on a forum?

Not just on the forums to be fair.
If the side draw 1-1 at home and the crowd boos I'm sure he's taken note of it too !
The last time you inundated this board it completely ruined it.

Oh so sorry !
I know it's far worse than listening to the same old "Sack Hurst after 3 games" mantra.
You'll be pleased to know there's a very good chance I may not be a regular fixture.
It is obvious you are trying to do the same again.

Sure, I've got nothing better to do with my time after spending years away.
Maybe if fans didn't jump on the negativity bandwagon as much I wouldn't even be here.
Reply: 45 - 49
ginnywings
August 21, 2014, 7:42am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,122
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from 120797

I'd put money on him readng the fishy !
As the centre of GTFC "opinion" you think he wouldn't ?  

Well put it this way...
I think there's a fair old chance it might have an effect on the manager and his tactics (see players) for sure !
If you want to think it's moronic it's up to you.

Not just on the forums to be fair.
If the side draw 1-1 at home and the crowd boos I'm sure he's taken note of it too !

Oh so sorry !
I know it's far worse than listening to the same old "Sack Hurst after 3 games" mantra.
You'll be pleased to know there's a very good chance I may not be a regular fixture.

Maybe if fans didn't jump on the negativity bandwagon as much I wouldn't even be here.

So you've come to guide us out of the darkness and into the light.

Thank you.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 49
MuddyWaters
August 21, 2014, 9:50am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,233
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from 120797

All aboard the positivity bandwagon with 80's....choo choo.........
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 49
Marinerz93
August 21, 2014, 10:23am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.56
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
What was Hegativity again  

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 49
August 21, 2014, 5:26pm
Guest User
Quoted from ginnywings

So you've come to guide us out of the darkness and into the light.

Thank you.

Not at all, just exercising my right to have an opinion like you.
You said all opinions were welcome.
Quoted from MuddyWaters
All aboard the positivity bandwagon with 80's....choo choo.........

Not always positive by any means !
Funny, thought I was trying to being objective, actually think you (and ginny) make some good points here and there.

But can you really say you can see the advantages to anything Codger ?
I want to believe I'm wrong, I really do !

Actually, I don't really see the issue to be about belonging to a "positive" or "negative" side at all !
Just think if fans are hacked off whether they can always see clearly when they're frustrated.
To his credit, fact ginny has now conceded he'll give 10 games seems to suggest there may be some truth to it ?

It's not a case for saying the sun is always shining for me.
Merely that disillusionment breeds disillusionment etc and vice versa (yes I know winning helps)  
Just even BEFORE the game v Dover a few looked drunk off ! (bless em)
So that's really what I mean by "negativity bandwagon".

Anyway perhaps it's a term I should refrain from using.
But equally it's not right to throw people into the so called happy clapper brigade either.

As always the case, I'm watching Hurst's performance and if I think he makes mistakes, won't be frightened to say so.
But equally, would be be nice if he could be given some support now and then too ?

UTM chaps
Reply: 49 - 49
5 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › A couple of inches

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.