3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Maringer
August 21, 2014, 11:12pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,512
Gold Stars: 185
I'd imagine I'Anson is a bit stronger now that before but personally, I never thought he had the pace to be successful at a higher level.

Perhaps he is a bit quicker than I thought. It will be interesting to see if he ever does make it in the top division of La Liga. Would be a real achievement if he could.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 22
forza ivano
August 22, 2014, 1:16pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,179
Gold Stars: 265
Quoted from HackneyHaddock
No point saying "we should have kept him", or for that matter "should have kept Cameron Jerome" or "Should have kept Ryan Bennett" or "Should have kept John Oster".  Quality players will move on.

Maybe his football style was more suited to Spain than Conference Hoofball.  This is part of the reason we have this conversation every two years about why England don't produce decent technical footballers: "Not strong enough", "Needs to fill out/beef up", "Too fancy".

No-one's messed up or done anything wrong.  He moved on, developing his game in one of the top leagues in the world, and he's done well.  I really hope he gets back into La Liga soon and that more young English players try their hand abroad (although Spain isn't really abroad for I'Anson!)

exactly. really hope charlie does well. he's in a far better place than the team mates he left behind
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 22
pontoonlew
August 22, 2014, 1:24pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,034
Gold Stars: 176
Quoted from HackneyHaddock
No point saying "we should have kept him", or for that matter "should have kept Cameron Jerome" or "Should have kept Ryan Bennett" or "Should have kept John Oster".  Quality players will move on.

Maybe his football style was more suited to Spain than Conference Hoofball.  This is part of the reason we have this conversation every two years about why England don't produce decent technical footballers: "Not strong enough", "Needs to fill out/beef up", "Too fancy".

No-one's messed up or done anything wrong.  He moved on, developing his game in one of the top leagues in the world, and he's done well.  I really hope he gets back into La Liga soon and that more young English players try their hand abroad (although Spain isn't really abroad for I'Anson!)

I'm not quite sure they are all comparable. We got money for Oster & Bennett and Jerome was much younger & it was leaving us that made him the player he is.

With I'anson we had a good player who we just let walked away, it wasn't as though he had Elche lined up. He left because of the shite offer we gave him to stay and therefore we engineered our own mistake on that one.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 22
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Charlie I'Anson On BBC Football website

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.