Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Alan Alger predicts!
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 77 Guests

Alan Alger predicts!

This thread currently has 8,980 views. Print
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
August 5, 2015, 12:56pm
Guest User
Quoted from toontown
To be fair I think his argument has logic, with the historical poor performance of play-off final losers the following season. Also he refers to our past overly cautious approach at home against mediocre opposition, which I think has some weight.
However, I think he is wrong, we have held on to almost all our players (how many losing finalists do that), strengthened, at last seem to have strikers on form, have money in the pot for later in the season and hopefully a slightly more attacking approach that I think will be needed to claim the champions spot.

As Aristotle would tell you, if he were alive, there is no logic whatsoever in saying that because something has happened before , team losing in the playoffs comes 5th, it will happen again... its a logical fallacy...
Reply: 30 - 38
UTMariners
August 5, 2015, 2:56pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +424
Gold Stars: 6
He definitely has a few fair points e.g about our home form and being too defensive, but I think the whole logic about the play off loss is ridiculous. We went there as underdogs and played a team who finished 5 points above us.  Within days of the defeat the whole club were upbeat with operation promotion and #wegoagain, etc which I don't know of happening at any other club previously.  We've also strengthened and not lost our best players which a lot of play off losers do, so I really can't understand where he is coming from about the whole play off thing, if anything its galvanised us! Of course the PR from the reactions he will get on twitter might help explain it...

"My love, my heart, my soul, my life.  My beloved Club Grimsby."

Salford Mariner

Join the Trust!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 38
psgmariner
August 5, 2015, 3:37pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.69
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,480
Gold Stars: 33
Quoted from UTMariners
He definitely has a few fair points e.g about our home form and being too defensive, but I think the whole logic about the play off loss is ridiculous. We went there as underdogs and played a team who finished 5 points above us.  Within days of the defeat the whole club were upbeat with operation promotion and #wegoagain, etc which I don't know of happening at any other club previously.  We've also strengthened and not lost our best players which a lot of play off losers do, so I really can't understand where he is coming from about the whole play off thing, if anything its galvanised us! Of course the PR from the reactions he will get on twitter might help explain it...

We lost our top scorer and also our overwhelming player of the year to be fair. I know that doesn't tell the whole story but as an outsider looking in you can see how it may make you think we have been weakened.

Time will tell whether we have or not.

Private Message
Reply: 32 - 38
ska face
August 5, 2015, 4:50pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,688
Gold Stars: 848
Alger has a 100%, faultless record in predicting one thing at least - a massive dopey bite off loads of town fans.

Spot on every time!
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 38
UTMariners
August 5, 2015, 5:06pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +424
Gold Stars: 6
Quoted from psgmariner

We lost our top scorer and also our overwhelming player of the year to be fair. I know that doesn't tell the whole story but as an outsider looking in you can see how it may make you think we have been weakened.

Time will tell whether we have or not.

Yeah we lost two key players, but the players we have brought in seem on the face of it to be adequate replacements, and we seem to be a lot more attacking, something which let us down last season. But like you say, time will tell.. Bring on Saturday..

"My love, my heart, my soul, my life.  My beloved Club Grimsby."

Salford Mariner

Join the Trust!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 38
moosey_club
August 5, 2015, 7:21pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,271
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from 75
I do think the league is weaker than it has ever been (or at least since we've been here). This is our chance to win it and escape and I'm backing us to do it. I think it will be relatively straighforward too, we are the best team, we have the best players, money in the bank if we need to go out and bolster an already settled squad who will run through walls for each other. The fans are a different class, it's ours to lose IMO.

I take it you have in depth and accurate knowledge of all other teams squads, budgets and capital resources then to be forming such opinions?  

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 38
psgmariner
August 5, 2015, 8:44pm

Barley Wine Drinker
I am very confident this year but remember reading the same sort of stuff on here for the past 4 years. We have always thought it was the easiest league since we came down and we have always thought the squad was an improvement on last years. Let's remember that so that expectation doesn't make us look silly again.

Private Message
Reply: 36 - 38
aldi_01
August 5, 2015, 8:51pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.03
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Anyone with half an ounce of football knowledge has never said this is an easy league, one would assume those that have are probably the ones that call for managers to be sacked all the time and moan after a couple of misplaced passes???

Alger gets what he wants, a bite from fans of the bigger clubs in the league. Regardless of what he knows of other clubs etc predicting the outcome of a very unpredictable league is pretty futile. He is merely offering an opinion much like you or I.

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 38
psgmariner
August 5, 2015, 8:54pm

Barley Wine Drinker
I said easiest (as in compared to previous years) not easy. Prettying everyone agreed on that last year.

Private Message
Reply: 38 - 38
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Alan Alger predicts!

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.