Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Come on..
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 300 Guests

Come on..

This thread currently has 3,972 views. Print
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
lukeo
September 1, 2015, 12:44pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,372
Gold Stars: 148
Wasn't sure of a title for the thread so sorry for the poor effort.
Think back to Wembley and all those away games after forest green last year and kiddy, Lincoln this year. We never won many of those games but we all enjoyed the days because we turned up in numbers, made a cracking atmosphere and got the people of England talking about us. Let's not give up. Let's keep it going until the end of the season. Get yourselves to as many games as money and time allows you and back the town, the shirt.
Come the end of the season if Hurst hasn't gotten us promoted then give up, moan, ask for his head. Atleast then we, the fans, can hold our heads high and say we gave the money. We put in the effort. We turned up in numbers. So come on, we all have our views on the season so far but please don't let it stop you going. Kiddy away was such a good day for me. The result sucked but it didn't ruin my day. Seeing old and new friends, being stood with 1600 odd people who have the same passion as I do. That'll do for now. I best get back to work, keep the faith!
UTM
Logged Online
Private Message
HighamMariner
September 1, 2015, 1:06pm
More to life than sucking fentys meglomaniac behind
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: -64
Quoted from lukeo
Think back to Wembley and all those away games after forest green last year and kiddy, Lincoln this year. We never won many of those games but we all enjoyed the days because we turned up in numbers, made a cracking atmosphere and got the people of England talking about us. Let's not give up. Let's keep it going until the end of the season. Get yourselves to as many games as money and time allows you and back the town, the shirt.
Come the end of the season if Hurst hasn't gotten us promoted then give up, moan, ask for his head. At least then we, the fans, can hold our heads high and say we gave the money. We put in the effort. We turned up in numbers. So come on, we all have our views on the season so far but please don't let it stop you going. Kiddy away was such a good day for me. The result sucked but it didn't ruin my day. Seeing old and new friends, being stood with 1600 odd people who have the same passion as I do. That'll do for now. I best get back to work, keep the faith!
UTM

Seem to recall that you're an exile?  Forgive me if I'm wrong.  I don't think that the exile away support will drop off a great deal and besides, in terms of financial contribution, it doesn't matter.  STH's don't matter either, they've already spunked their money.  The danger is the 2,000 or so home 'floaters' who will always turn up when we're doing well but quickly disappear when we're not.  That 2,000 will very quickly become 200 which seriously jeopordises the long term future of the club.  I personally felt at the end of the 2013/14 season that PH wasn't the right man for the job, I think he proved it again last season and is doing so already again this.  Sorry but the time for change after 4 1/2 years of standing still is long overdue.  Incidentally, I'm an exile and also within the 2,000 floaters.  I'll be turning up for all of the commutable away games but already the desire to do a 280 mile round trip to go to a home game is seriously diminished.

Be back when fenty felicitations off
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 22
MuddyWaters
September 1, 2015, 1:08pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,242
Gold Stars: 235
So you're happy to put up with more mediocrity, more poor selections, more years in this shitehole league.

Let's get the facts right (!) - this club is seeking a new stadium to secure its' financial future. According to Fenty, it is not dependent on which league we are in but, there's two things here, it will look a lot more credible if the football club is successful and it will soon become a millstone round the club's neck if it's not used.

The clock is ticking.
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 22
arryarryarry
September 1, 2015, 1:11pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,043
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from lukeo
Come the end of the season if Hurst hasn't gotten us promoted then give up, moan, ask for his head. Atleast then we, the fans, can hold our heads high and say we gave the money. We put in the effort. We turned up in numbers. So come on, we all have our views on the season so far but please don't let it stop you going. Kiddy away was such a good day for me. The result sucked but it didn't ruin my day. Seeing old and new friends, being stood with 1600 odd people who have the same passion as I do. That'll do for now. I best get back to work, keep the faith!
UTM

Of course you are entitled to your opinion and rightly so, but we've been reading similar posts these past 5 years and nothing has changed, and you want to waste another season if he doesn't get us promoted.
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 22
ginnywings
September 1, 2015, 4:05pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,125
Gold Stars: 548
The fans are more than doing their bit already. It's time for the management and team to join in.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 22
Southernboy
September 1, 2015, 4:14pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +2 / -1
Approval: +111
I have no way of knowing who is at fault for this situation but it does get depressing. We clearly have some good players but just can't seem to get "it" right regularly enough. I've not see us play this season but I'll be there Saturday so will reserve judgment until then.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 22
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
September 1, 2015, 4:16pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from lukeo
UTM

I think this must have been copied and pasted from September 2014 ........ or was it 2013 ........... or was it ............?

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 22
Grim74
September 1, 2015, 4:45pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +16 / -13
Approval: -1,909
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from lukeo
UTM

I'd change your tablets mate!

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Promise a man someone else's fish and he votes Labour.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 22
jonnyboy82
September 1, 2015, 5:07pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.28
Rep Score: +71 / -36
Approval: +5,688
Gold Stars: 95
People turned up in 2012 2013 2014 and still turning up now..

When do you say paul hurst has had his time ? You say at the end of this season , why ? He should have gone last season.

He will only be ever remembered as the nearly man who was as inspiring as a wet fart.

This club needs a fresh injection new management ideas and five years as a non league manager at grimsby town without a promotion is considered a failure.

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 22
FishOutOfWater
September 1, 2015, 5:19pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.14
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,574
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from lukeo
UTM

Good post Lukeo - hard for me not to agree with your sentiments but then again I am a bit deluded  
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 9 - 22
coxy
September 1, 2015, 5:28pm

The only way is UP !!
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +67
As much as I would like to agree with Luke, I carnt I have a week off and was coming back for our home game v aldershot albeit it's going to cost near £100 to attend which am happy to pay but enough is enough! We are making the same mistakes each year under hurst. If memory serves right wasn't it after the 4v1 win over barrow? That hurst then said he was planning on changing things (two 4v1 wins) what happens he changes it and we lose to altringham who had not even scored up till they played us.... Now 3 games later he has changed it every game and we ain't got anything to show from it.

Time is up for me we either change it soon and get rid of him or come December (normal sacking time for us) our season could be on survival not even the play offs
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 22
Caesar
September 1, 2015, 5:56pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +12 / -2
Approval: +1,799
Am sure that almost all Hurst out posters on here will still back the team 100% at games.  I know at stages last season when I thought Hurst should go and didn't have faith in him, I said so on here, but I never once booed or slammed him or a player during a game.  Am sure most posters will be the same and will back the team this weekend as passionately as ever.  Hopefully the team will respond this time and a lot of the doom will lift, but don't doubt for a second that, while moaning will go on here, our fans will carry on in the manner we have been.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 22
Vance Warner
September 1, 2015, 6:30pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,804
Gold Stars: 102
Quoted from arryarryarry

Of course you are entitled to your opinion and rightly so, but we've been reading similar posts these past 5 years and nothing has changed, and you want to waste another season if he doesn't get us promoted.

Plenty has changed. We've gone from being a mid table side for the first two years town here to serious promotion contenders. We've gone from having a big squad of players who don't care about the club to a small squad who have built a great relationship with the fans. We've gone from terrible gates to having the most season ticket sales for 17 years. We've gone from games being a terrible experience with no atmosphere to being enjoyable again. Yes we haven't achieved our ultimate goal but we've come as close as possible. Give it time.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 22
MuddyWaters
September 1, 2015, 7:27pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,242
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from Vance Warner

Plenty has changed. We've gone from being a mid table side for the first two years town here to serious promotion contenders. We've gone from having a big squad of players who don't care about the club to a small squad who have built a great relationship with the fans. We've gone from terrible gates to having the most season ticket sales for 17 years. We've gone from games being a terrible experience with no atmosphere to being enjoyable again. Yes we haven't achieved our ultimate goal but we've come as close as possible. Give it time.

FFS - give it time? Have you not read Mr Fenty's various assertions regarding the club's financial future?
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 22
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
September 1, 2015, 7:35pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from Vance Warner

If things have changed it has been more due to the fans than to performances on the field. The impetus began in the stands not the dressing room. All those away fans deserve more than a medal, they deserve promotion - even if the manager doesn't.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 22
Mariner Timsky
September 1, 2015, 7:55pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,533
Gold Stars: 5
, , and with 39 games to play we can still be promoted, , nobody has given up yet! Absolutely naff all has ever been won in August, , yes we haven't set the league on fire but we still can. Village Green WILL not win every game, , yes they have had a good start well done them, , but we all know they won't stay top.

Stand Up For The Mariners!!!!!
Stand Up For The Mariners!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 22
ginnywings
September 1, 2015, 8:33pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from Mariner Timsky
, , and with 39 games to play we can still be promoted, , nobody has given up yet! Absolutely naff all has ever been won in August, , yes we haven't set the league on fire but we still can. Village Green WILL not win every game, , yes they have had a good start well done them, , but we all know they won't stay top.

They already have five more wins than us after 7 games. What makes you think they will suddenly implode?
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 22
Maringer
September 1, 2015, 9:33pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,506
Gold Stars: 185
Quoted from ginnywings

They already have five more wins than us after 7 games. What makes you think they will suddenly implode?

What makes you think they won't? It's unlikely, but we're only a fraction of the way through the season so we don't know what's going to happen yet.

As I recall, Newport were 10 points clear at the top the other season by the start of October. They finished in 3rd place, just 2 points above us.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 22
Vance Warner
September 1, 2015, 9:36pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,804
Gold Stars: 102
Quoted from MuddyWaters

FFS - give it time? Have you not read Mr Fenty's various assertions regarding the club's financial future?

Best replace a manager with a track record of getting us in the playoffs and take a gamble on someone else then. While we're at it we'd better buy him a new squad and pay off the players he doesn't fancy. That will help the club's finances. FFS
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 22
ginnywings
September 1, 2015, 10:17pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from Maringer

What makes you think they won't? It's unlikely, but we're only a fraction of the way through the season so we don't know what's going to happen yet.

As I recall, Newport were 10 points clear at the top the other season by the start of October. They finished in 3rd place, just 2 points above us.

True enough.

I do feel that FGR have a bit of a Crawley and Fleetwood type feel to them though. They are paying big bucks and if managed properly, they shouldn't slip up.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 22
sydney
September 1, 2015, 10:34pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +1,009
Gold Stars: 3
I have had my reflective 24 hrs now after latest poor performance
Will support GTFC forever (as the song goes) as I have done for 45 years plus
But really did believe this year was our year and the return to that familiar disappointed feeling is very difficult to bear
I like PH but as difficult as this is to admit it's time for a change
I see nothing been any different this year to the last few of under achievement with him still there
Feel bad as am a believer in consistently but had to post my feelings
Don't even have a name to bring in, sorry....
Come on Town!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 22
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
September 1, 2015, 10:46pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from Vance Warner

Best replace a manager with a track record of getting us in the playoffs and take a gamble on someone else then. While we're at it we'd better buy him a new squad and pay off the players he doesn't fancy. That will help the club's finances. FFS

In theory your point sounds sensible. I was of much the same opinion during last season, is it better the devil you know. Now I am not at all sure. The season is hardly begun and the manager does not seem to have learned lessons from last year when his success was built on using basically the same side for each game unless forced to change through injury & suspension. Particularly this was true of the defence. A consistently mean back 5 needs that back 5 to develop a good understanding.

My answer to those who say Newport were 10 points up or FGR will lose some games is simple - which position would we rather be in? Mid table dropping down or up top and looking down?

What put me off joining the call for Hurst's head previously was simple realism. Who else could we get? And would Fenty sack Hurst anyway? The sacking is actually the biggest stumbling block because Fenty will not act until it's too late either out of misguided loyalty to Hurst or misguided reading of the league situation. He will be persuaded that the poor run can be turned round given time. Unfortunately the longer he takes, plus the time needed to find someone else, means that a new manager's chance of success is reduced. We then end up in the mess you mention about getting a new squad probably next summer.

The reality is this. Even if Fenty bit the bullet this week and waved bye bye to Hurst, we would be unlikely to get a new manager in before mid-October. Even that would be too late in my opinion if we want to win the league. It would be a crawl into the play off lottery again at best. In the meantime what would happen? Doig would be caretaker and the arguments would start about whether he should get the job which could push things back even further.

It is a bit of a minefield and in the past I've been of the opinion that we might as well avoid it especially after Operation Promotion promised so much. But it seems to me that the Tondeur interview shows Hurst has effectively said to the supporters - thanks very much for the money, here's Bogle, now I will do exactly what I want with the side and you lot keep your opinions to yourselves because you know naff all about football.

That's why my mind has been changed. The manager is simply not good enough at team building, team selection or team tactics. Getting sides into the play offs is an achievement of sorts, getting sides promoted is the real measure of success.

My final nail would be that Hurst still doesn't appreciate how much the club means to its supporters and he can't be very bright if that hasn't dawned on him after all the time he's had here.

Sorry for the verbal diarrhoea, I'll shut up for a bit now.

Private Message
Reply: 21 - 22
Maringer
September 1, 2015, 11:54pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,506
Gold Stars: 185
Quoted from ginnywings

I do feel that FGR have a bit of a Crawley and Fleetwood type feel to them though. They are paying big bucks and if managed properly, they shouldn't slip up.

Surprised to see that Parkin hasn't played in many games yet this season yet they've still won them all (albeit narrowly). Last year, pretty much everything about their game went through him so they've obviously got some more strings to their bows this season. A pity, as a team mostly reliant on one player is always vulnerable, though Barnet got away with it last season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 22
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Come on..

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.