5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Maringer
September 7, 2015, 1:29pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,569
Gold Stars: 185
We've scored more goals than FGR, but have conceded 4 times as many!

Clean sheets are very important because you can't always take your chances as a number of results this season have shown. Last season, Barnet scored loads more than everyone else but still had the third best defence in the division so free-scoring is never enough. The season before, Luton scored over a 100 goals, but had the joint best defence.

We'll be lucky to get close to promotion unless we tighten up at the back and start getting some clean sheets.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 49
diehardmariner
September 7, 2015, 2:05pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,639
Gold Stars: 539
Quoted from ginnywings

Do you want the backtracking Mackreth of last season on the right wing or the more attacking Arnold? That's what it boils down to. The problem is that i think if we don't start converting our chances, Hurst's instincts will be to go back to a big target man and Mackreth like last season.

We need a balance.  

Personally I don't think we can afford both Arnold and Monkhouse in the wide positions.   That puts too much pressure on the central midfielders to cover two wings.  Covering one you can maybe afford, two - impossible.  

Get Arnold down the middle and Marshall on the flank.   Much more balance and you free up Arnold from a position where he's restricted in my opinion.  

Private Message
Reply: 31 - 49
gtfc98
September 7, 2015, 2:32pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.74
Rep Score: +45 / -21
Approval: +3,064
Gold Stars: 68
Quoted from diehardmariner

We need a balance.  

Personally I don't think we can afford both Arnold and Monkhouse in the wide positions.   That puts too much pressure on the central midfielders to cover two wings.  Covering one you can maybe afford, two - impossible.  

Get Arnold down the middle and Marshall on the flank.   Much more balance and you free up Arnold from a position where he's restricted in my opinion.  

I really don't rate Arnold through the centre. He's much better out wide and that would also mean dropping one of Amond and Bogle which seems a bit daft. Can't PH just get him to track back a bit more!

No longer Sick of the BlueSquare  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 49
ginnywings
September 7, 2015, 3:08pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
I understand the points made about Barnet and Luton but another argument can be made about their success. They spent most of the game attacking and didn't need to defend as much. They also had strikers who were scoring for fun, one of whom has now moved on for 9 million. If you take the chances on offer, which we seem to create early in games, then the opposition goes onto the back foot. If you fail to take those early chances, as in the Macc game, their confidence grows, they get a foothold in the game and have something to hang onto.

I know clean sheets are important but not if you spend most of the game in their half. It's a fine balance for sure and one that Hurst has never got right to date.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 49
diehardmariner
September 7, 2015, 3:33pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from gtfc98

I really don't rate Arnold through the centre. He's much better out wide and that would also mean dropping one of Amond and Bogle which seems a bit daft. Can't PH just get him to track back a bit more!

He was unplayable in that role in pre-season.  I like Amond but of he and Arnold, I much prefer the latter.

Private Message
Reply: 34 - 49
gtfc98
September 7, 2015, 3:41pm
Whiskey Drinker

He was unplayable in that role in pre-season.  I like Amond but of he and Arnold, I much prefer the latter.

Exactly. In pre season (which means nothing).

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 49
diehardmariner
September 7, 2015, 3:43pm
Vodka Drinker
So how can you not rate him when bar the odd 10 minutes at the end of games he's never played down the middle for us?
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 49
ska face
September 7, 2015, 4:23pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,707
Gold Stars: 849
4 pages on Carl Magnay since Saturday night, another 4 on LJL.

THE FISHY IS ACE.
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 49
RoboCod
September 7, 2015, 4:26pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.91
Rep Score: +70 / -19
Approval: +7,505
Quoted from ska face
4 pages on Carl Magnay since Saturday night, another 4 on LJL.

THE FISHY IS ACE.

Don't forget the one on photography;How to take the perfect crowd snap.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 49
gtfc98
September 7, 2015, 4:29pm
Whiskey Drinker
So how can you not rate him when bar the odd 10 minutes at the end of games he's never played down the middle for us?

He's played longer than the odd 10 mins centrally. Why would you drop one of your best strikers to play your best winger out of position up front? It's not like he's a 19 year old learning the game, there's a good reason he's been played out wide his whole career.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 49
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Mags

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.