Garth
September 7, 2015, 4:54pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,924
Gold Stars: 26
Quoted from gtfc98

He's played longer than the odd 10 mins centrally. Why would you drop one of your best strikers to play your best winger out of position up front? It's not like he's a 19 year old learning the game, there's a good reason he's been played out wide his whole career.

Agreed the games littered with high scoring wide players who cut in and shoot, re Real Madrid Chelsea etc etc
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 49
bax
September 7, 2015, 6:34pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +25 / -3
Approval: +2,645
Gold Stars: 30
Quoted from diehardmariner
So how can you not rate him when bar the odd 10 minutes at the end of games he's never played down the middle for us?

I thought I watched him play down the middle against Torquay and we all moaned because he dropped Amond? But maybe I was dreaming...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 49
toontown
September 7, 2015, 11:14pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,281
Gold Stars: 70
Arnold doesn't have the composure in front of goal when the pressure is on in a real match, in pre season he was fine but look at how many chances he fluffed against kiddie and then, if I remember rightly after missing them when he was clear thru against the keeper he bottled it and passed and the chance went begging. Similar problem in other games when he's had chances, incl torquay. I thought he was gonna b great up front this season havin seen him in pre season, I was wrong. Fantastic winger, not clinical enough to be centre forward tho
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 49
diehardmariner
September 8, 2015, 9:47am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,639
Gold Stars: 539
Quoted from bax

I thought I watched him play down the middle against Torquay and we all moaned because he dropped Amond? But maybe I was dreaming...

Yeah good point.  I forgot about that game, probably deliberately!   I'm not sure we can write off Arnold as a central attacker based on one performance, especially when from the whole team it was pretty poor until the 60 minute mark.

Despite a blistering pre-season and a good start to the season, Amond has disappointed me so far if I'm honest.  Especially the last few games he hasn't looked anywhere near as effective.  Nor has the partnership with Bogle shone through, which I really expected it to do so.    Before he was dropped, Amond looked quality and the creative link between midfield and attack we've lacked for god knows how long.  Since he returned, I've not seen the same player.

Don't get me wrong, I think Amond has a massive role to play for us.  Just at the minute I would prefer to see Arnold in attack alongside Bogle where he can influence the game far more than he can out on the right.  Added to that a proper winger can into the team and give his a better balance.

Private Message
Reply: 43 - 49
diehardmariner
September 8, 2015, 9:49am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from toontown
Arnold doesn't have the composure in front of goal when the pressure is on in a real match, in pre season he was fine but look at how many chances he fluffed against kiddie and then, if I remember rightly after missing them when he was clear thru against the keeper he bottled it and passed and the chance went begging. Similar problem in other games when he's had chances, incl torquay. I thought he was gonna b great up front this season havin seen him in pre season, I was wrong. Fantastic winger, not clinical enough to be centre forward tho

How many one-on-one's did Amond miss before he finally scored against Kiddy?  

How many chances does Bogle need before he scores?

Both Amond and Bogle have fluffed countless chances this season.  It's the standard we're at.
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 49
ginnywings
September 8, 2015, 10:25am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
Why do people think it's a good idea to try players in different positions as if it's some magic formula? Let's put a right back in centre mid, a winger up front and while we are at it, let's put Pearson up front as well. He's good in the air so it'll definitely work.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 49
diehardmariner
September 8, 2015, 10:49am
Vodka Drinker
Arnold's not a winger.  Not in a 4-4-2 formation anyway.  Drifts in too much.  

I'm sure when he signed for us the player described himself as a striker.

Anyway, it could rumble on for ever.  I think Arnold's better centrally, others think he's better out wide.  Opinions, innit. Only one that matter is that of Paul Hurst.

Private Message
Reply: 46 - 49
Heisenberg
September 8, 2015, 3:09pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +5,087
Gold Stars: 93
Back to Magnay, did anyone see that piece on Sky Sports News the other day about the 3 ex-Chelsea players now at Hartlepool?  It was Magnay, Harry Worley and some ginger kid I don't know.  Anyway, it showed a clip from the show 'Football Icon' from back in 2006, when Magnay won it, and on the back of it a playing contract with Chelsea.  It was shocking, I couldn't believe it was him; bearing in mind his age now, he must have only been 17 or 18, but my God, he looked at least 35!  Something weird is going on with him, he now looks younger than back then, and has more hair!  He'll be doing one of those Regaine adverts next.  And Jesus, he had bad acne.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 49
gtfc98
September 8, 2015, 3:50pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.74
Rep Score: +45 / -21
Approval: +3,064
Gold Stars: 68
Quoted from Heisenberg
Back to Magnay, did anyone see that piece on Sky Sports News the other day about the 3 ex-Chelsea players now at Hartlepool?  It was Magnay, Harry Worley and some ginger kid I don't know.  Anyway, it showed a clip from the show 'Football Icon' from back in 2006, when Magnay won it, and on the back of it a playing contract with Chelsea.  It was shocking, I couldn't believe it was him; bearing in mind his age now, he must have only been 17 or 18, but my God, he looked at least 35!  Something weird is going on with him, he now looks younger than back then, and has more hair!  He'll be doing one of those Regaine adverts next.  And Jesus, he had bad acne.

The ginger kid is Neil Woods' nephew.

No longer Sick of the BlueSquare  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 49
Abdul19
September 8, 2015, 5:34pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,575
Gold Stars: 218
Probably a better manager

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 49
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Mags

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.