chaos33
October 3, 2015, 7:17pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,937
Gold Stars: 360
Quoted from barralad
Given last weeks result the decision not to change the team wasn't altogether surprising although I was hoping that one of Bogle or Amond would have got the nod to partner JPP. Anyone screaming for both to be a shoe-in to play does JPP a very great disservice. The service to the front two particularly in the first half was poorer than of late so we were relying on a touch of magic. In my opinion only Bogle can hold a candle to JPP in the "create a goal chance out of nothing" stakes and Pittman's goal was absolutely sublime. Tomlinson does offer something very different but he has almost the right to expect better service than he received. Mackreth was his usual ball of utter frustration in the first half often taking the option of a back pass rather than going for a decent crossing position. Unfortunately when he did take on his full back the final delivery really wasn't up to scratch. Defensively the centre back pairing were very good throughout. Neither put a foot wrong (other than Pearson's second of aberration in the lead up to their goal) Both full backs could have done better though especially going forward-East in particular who chose today to rebut comments on here (including mine) that he has the attributes to play in midfield. His wild wide shot midway through the second half when half the team were in better positions summed him up today.
I was actually surprised at how much hoofing FGR did. When they played it on the floor they looked a decent side. Perhaps that is the result of the bad run on which they find themselves at the moment. In Parkin though they have a class act. It's a shame when money dictates entirely the level at which you want to play your football. I suspect he would walk into most teams in the lower two football leagues. He only needed the seconds given to him by first Robertson and then Pearson to create the space. Once he'd a sight of goal there was only one outcome-brilliant finish. Yeah he does all the niggly stuff but I wouldn't have been disappointed to have heard that we'd signed him.
The second half didn't really get going until the substitutions. When they came the player who easily made the most difference for me was Marshall. Trickery, the ability to beat men regularly and a far better final product would persuade me as manager to have him in from the off on Tuesday. Neither Amond or particularly Bogle looked the part but that may well be because 20 minutes isn't long enough to get into their stride.
Dis and Clay acquitted themselves well generally and Monkhouse showed glimpses that suggest there is more to his game than flicking on headers from McKeown's kicks. Tomlinson ran himself into the ground. He should've done better with his header but he gave 100% effort for the time he was on the pitch. Unfortunately he appears to be the scapegoat for Hurst's alleged mis-selection issues which is more than a tad unfair.

What should have been a thoroughly entertaining game was spoilt by the officials. The ref. appeared not to understand the advantage rule firstly when the ball had gone out for a Town throw and he pulled play back 25 yards or so and the second more telling time when due to good work by Clay Town looked to be making their advantage tell and he still pulled play back. Perhaps one of the referees on here can clear up that point. The lino on the Main Stand side in the 2nd half doesn't escape either. His offside decision against Tomlinson(?) when the guy must have run forty yards to close down the keeper was laughable.

Good balanced post. Frustration and 'if only's' seem to be the order of the day.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 72
Mendonca1995
October 3, 2015, 7:18pm
Super Clive mendonca how much would he cost now
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.21
Rep Score: +6 / -1
Approval: +903
Gold Stars: 15
Monkhouse was SHOCKING he offers nothing going forward won a couple of headers that was it he's just an outlet from set pieces cos of his height, but when you have Marshall /Arnold on the bench were they would be running at you creating things I bet the right backs love it when they realise how slow he is he hasn't done nothing to convince me at all yet its just an opinion but was in my eyes poor again,

ALL TOWN AREN'T WE ⚫️⚪️
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 72
Maringer
October 3, 2015, 7:19pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,565
Gold Stars: 185
Nonsense. Monkhouse was OK today. Not brilliant, but then none of the forwards or midfielders put in a better than average performance. To claim Monkhouse was shocking is proposterous.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 72
Rick12
October 3, 2015, 7:20pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Overall thought we edged it.However what concerned me was the lack of chances we created in front of goal.Hardly ever tested their keeper.Players for me that stood out was Disley as you could see technically  was one of the best,Gowling quality and possibly Tomlinson who was a willing runner and worked hard.Special mention as well to Pitman who took his goal well.Of the subs that came on Marshall straight away you could see was quality and had he started I think would have made a big difference

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 72
jonnyboy82
October 3, 2015, 7:20pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.28
Rep Score: +71 / -36
Approval: +5,688
Gold Stars: 95
Quoted from barralad
Given last weeks result the decision not to change the team wasn't altogether surprising although I was hoping that one of Bogle or Amond would have got the nod to partner JPP. Anyone screaming for both to be a shoe-in to play does JPP a very great disservice. The service to the front two particularly in the first half was poorer than of late so we were relying on a touch of magic. In my opinion only Bogle can hold a candle to JPP in the "create a goal chance out of nothing" stakes and Pittman's goal was absolutely sublime. Tomlinson does offer something very different but he has almost the right to expect better service than he received. Mackreth was his usual ball of utter frustration in the first half often taking the option of a back pass rather than going for a decent crossing position. Unfortunately when he did take on his full back the final delivery really wasn't up to scratch. Defensively the centre back pairing were very good throughout. Neither put a foot wrong (other than Pearson's second of aberration in the lead up to their goal) Both full backs could have done better though especially going forward-East in particular who chose today to rebut comments on here (including mine) that he has the attributes to play in midfield. His wild wide shot midway through the second half when half the team were in better positions summed him up today.
I was actually surprised at how much hoofing FGR did. When they played it on the floor they looked a decent side. Perhaps that is the result of the bad run on which they find themselves at the moment. In Parkin though they have a class act. It's a shame when money dictates entirely the level at which you want to play your football. I suspect he would walk into most teams in the lower two football leagues. He only needed the seconds given to him by first Robertson and then Pearson to create the space. Once he'd a sight of goal there was only one outcome-brilliant finish. Yeah he does all the niggly stuff but I wouldn't have been disappointed to have heard that we'd signed him.
The second half didn't really get going until the substitutions. When they came the player who easily made the most difference for me was Marshall. Trickery, the ability to beat men regularly and a far better final product would persuade me as manager to have him in from the off on Tuesday. Neither Amond or particularly Bogle looked the part but that may well be because 20 minutes isn't long enough to get into their stride.
Dis and Clay acquitted themselves well generally and Monkhouse showed glimpses that suggest there is more to his game than flicking on headers from McKeown's kicks. Tomlinson ran himself into the ground. He should've done better with his header but he gave 100% effort for the time he was on the pitch. Unfortunately he appears to be the scapegoat for Hurst's alleged mis-selection issues which is more than a tad unfair.

What should have been a thoroughly entertaining game was spoilt by the officials. The ref. appeared not to understand the advantage rule firstly when the ball had gone out for a Town throw and he pulled play back 25 yards or so and the second more telling time when due to good work by Clay Town looked to be making their advantage tell and he still pulled play back. Perhaps one of the referees on here can clear up that point. The lino on the Main Stand side in the 2nd half doesn't escape either. His offside decision against Tomlinson(?) when the guy must have run forty yards to close down the keeper was laughable.

Got halfway through , will read the rest tomorrow.

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 72
Mendonca1995
October 3, 2015, 7:34pm
Super Clive mendonca how much would he cost now
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.21
Rep Score: +6 / -1
Approval: +903
Gold Stars: 15
I watched monkhouse from both sides of the ground and he was shocking he offers us nothing good in the air but too slow he creates nothing that's why the strikers had no service when marshy came on he did more in ten mins than what monkhouse did all game he got at defenders and put crosses in how many times did monky do that??? Fans have Started to see it now especially when he's keeping Marshall/Arnold out the team how does he warrant his place ???

ALL TOWN AREN'T WE ⚫️⚪️
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 72
barralad
October 3, 2015, 7:38pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,290
Gold Stars: 126
Quoted from jonnyboy82

Ah the master of the one-liner strikes again

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 72
Rodley Mariner
October 3, 2015, 7:48pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,239
Gold Stars: 177
Quoted from jonnyboy82

Lips getting tired?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 72
Rick12
October 3, 2015, 8:01pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from Mendonca1995
Monkhouse was SHOCKING he offers nothing going forward won a couple of headers that was it he's just an outlet from set pieces cos of his height, but when you have Marshall /Arnold on the bench were they would be running at you creating things I bet the right backs love it when they realise how slow he is he hasn't done nothing to convince me at all yet its just an opinion but was in my eyes poor again,
Yes Monkhouse does get up well.What struck me about Monkhouse though was I didnt particularly notice him when he was playing(admittedly Iam a harsh critic  and that sentiment  goes for a lot of the team apart from 3 in the initial starting line up).Soon as Marshall came on he caught my eye and looked like a great little winger in the 15 or so mins he came on.First time Ive seen him and I liked him straight away.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 72
grimsby pete
October 3, 2015, 8:11pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,801
Gold Stars: 222
What worries me is how our home results are starting to copy last years,

3 wins in 7 games is not good.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 72
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.