8 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 All Recommend Thread
Hagrid
October 3, 2015, 5:09pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,443
Gold Stars: 536
Fair result, neither team particuarly impressive, but still a point gained imo, very very poor ref but not to blame for us not winning, but his decision to not give a penalty for the blating holding astounds me. Need to start getting 3 points on a more consistent basis but not going to slate the team, we didnt
Lose! gowling was superb, a deserves MOM, was very dissapointed to see some booing/ cheering when tomlinson went off, thought he battled all afternoon, 3 points please Tuesday!
Logged Offline
Private Message
grimps
October 3, 2015, 5:10pm
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +21 / -19
Approval: +5,131
Gold Stars: 46
Hurst out !
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 72
Martz86
October 3, 2015, 5:11pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +10 / -1
Approval: +129
Gold Stars: 1
We didn't impress because we left at least 3 of our best players on the bench! We have a fantastic team, it's the clueless twit in charge which is costing us now! It should have been 3 points today, among other days! Not on bloody Tuesday.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 72
Jarmo.Is.God
October 3, 2015, 5:16pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,050
Gold Stars: 86
If he changed it and we lost, people would of moaned that he changed a winning side...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 72
Lambretta Mariner
October 3, 2015, 5:24pm

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +140
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God
If he changed it and we lost, people would of moaned that he changed a winning side...

I don't think they would. People would have thought he'd played his best side, gave it a go, but weren't good enough.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 72
LH
October 3, 2015, 5:26pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,534
Gold Stars: 173
Firstly I'd like to congratulate the referee. That was the worst refereeing performance I've seen this season and I doubt it'll be beaten. I could moan and moan about double standards regarding advantages, high feet etc but I can't be arsed.

I am all for not changing a winning team. I don't like waiting for 70 mins for a change when the selection obviously isn't working. The difference when the subs were made was obviously an improvement and you've got to hope at least those three start on Tuesday.

I too think the draw was a fair result in a game of few chances. They weren't brilliant but McKeown was the busier keeper.
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 72
Lordgibil
October 3, 2015, 5:26pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.00
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +31
Yes Tomlinson always "battles" but has never looked like scoring for us!  Remember when Hurst slagged Amond off for missing one header and then dropped him?  Tomlinson missed more chances today than Amond has missed all season so it seems to me Hurst has something against strikers who have a bit of nouse and can score goals.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 72
Hagrid
October 3, 2015, 5:27pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Seens as i have 6 crosses- just out of interest what have i said that people dont agree with?! What sort of message would it have sent to the players if he changed it after a 4-0 win. And bogle and amond did nothing after coming on i might add
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 72
Lordgibil
October 3, 2015, 5:45pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.00
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +31
I was at Southport and their defence was dreadful and remember that only one goal of the 4 was scored by our strikers.  Amond and Marshall were only given about 10 minutes today and in that time we had 2 chances to score and I believe amond was involved in the chance that just went wide.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 72
cmackenzie4
October 3, 2015, 5:49pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 11.26
Rep Score: +130 / -10
Approval: +14,345
Gold Stars: 34
Does anybody know what's happened to Tait or what he's done wrong?  my lad and me think he is a quality player and should be playing.

Grimsby and proud!
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 72
grimsby pete
October 3, 2015, 5:52pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,801
Gold Stars: 222
Quoted from cmackenzie4
Does anybody know what's happened to Tait, Bogle, Amond, Marshall Toto  or what they have done wrong?  my lad and me think he is a quality player and should be playing.

Edit  

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 72
TAGG
October 3, 2015, 6:01pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -27
Approval: +2,944
Gold Stars: 126
I'm in the Hurst out camp but today he was right to keep the same side after a big win.
I'm not a 'it's the ref fault sort of bloke' but fook me I have to be today. Him and his mates were the worse officials I have seen for Donkeys years.
Draw was a fair result as both teams found it difficult to get anything going because of that twit blowing his whistle all the flipping time.
After walking in the ground and seeing 40 fans from the team at the top of our league I wanted us to hammer them tin pot male masturbators. I really hope they crash and burn.

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 72
pontoonlew
October 3, 2015, 6:09pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,043
Gold Stars: 178
Think the absolute prime example of what posters were saying last week after the Southport game (ie yes we won but it'll convince Hurst to play that side more often which is a bad thing) has been proven today.

Not playing your two top scorers against the league leaders is absolutely inexcusable. Regardless of last week.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 72
Maringer
October 3, 2015, 6:16pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,565
Gold Stars: 185
A pretty average performance from us today so I'm not surprised we didn't do enough to beat what was a very average-looking FGR team. How on Earth did that lot manage to win 9 in a row at the start of the season? I suppose their defence looked pretty solid (though the referee made things easier for them), but they didn't have any great nouse in midfield and the long ball up front towards Parkin and Guthrie seemed their main tactic.

I thought that both forwards worked hard and did good things at times (and Pittman took his goal very well) but they didn't link up very well at all and the interplay between forwards and midfield in the first half was dismal at times. Much improved in the second half, but then the final ball was always too poor so we didn't test their keeper once that I can remember from a number of promising positions. I thought Tomlinson should have hit the target with his headed chance from Mackreth's excellent cross but otherwise, the other crosses that came his way were all behind him. Crosses not good enough in general and neither was the final pass.

Defence played pretty well with Gowling a clear man of the match but East was all over the place today. Looked very much out of sorts and I think that must have been his weakest game for us, though it didn't cost us. A pity that Robertson was caught slightly out of position for their equaliser as this allowed Parkin to turn him. Not so sure about the follow up defending from there as Parkin went past a challenge (perhaps from Pearson?) far too easily before his classy finish.

Looking at the match stats, I see that we were apparently penalised almost twice as many times as FGR. That tells you absolutely all you need to know about the performance of the referee who was simply dire. Their defenders were pushing and shoving our players around throughout the game, almost with impunity, but their number 19 only needed to be brushed into and he was down, winning a free-kick! Their wrestling at set pieces was almost beyond belief at times with their No. 5 in particular getting away with murder almost every time the ball was put into the box. The referee was warning him not to grapple with Monkhouse and then completely ignored it when he did, right in front of him! The linesmen have to take some of the responsibility as well because, if I can clearly see our players getting their shirts pulled off them from the Upper Findus, then they sure as hell can from the pitch side.

I think I'd probably have brought Bogle on ten minutes earlier but I thought the decision to take off Pittman was the correct one as Tomlinson was causing them plenty of issues. I'm just a bit concerned that Bogle isn't smart enough in his decision-making at the moment. Tends to hold onto the ball when it needs to be moved on quickly and never seems to make a quick pass so he invariably found himself surrounded by 3 players trying to hold them off. It's a tough one, really. I think Pittman and Tomlinson as a pair offer more to the team in general (including being able to challenge aerially), but Bogle and Amond will obviously offer more of a goal threat.

Still searching for the right balance, unfortunately, but if we can get on a good run of form I'm not worried about the threat of FGR based on that game.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 72
moosey_club
October 3, 2015, 6:16pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,270
Gold Stars: 226
The ref certainly didnt help the flow of the game but we were pretty poor first half IMO, hitting long too early and with the non dynamic wide men in Monkhouse and Makreth the support for the front one (not counting Tomlinson as i thought he was non existent)  was not there, leading to attacks breaking down.
Lovely take and finish for Pitman for a suprise goal really. As soon as the goal went in we looked much more composed and confident on the ball but we gave up the lead far too quickly, Parkin isolating himself with Robertson who i thought made the wrong choice in engaging in a shoving match as the ball approached rather than just sticking to goal side and holding him up, lovely finish from the big man though.

Intentional gap....indicating the non footballing events inbetween half time and substitution time...or as we all know it..70 mins.......

Why does he leave it so long?? We are the home team, they really didnt offer alot in open play and we werent either so just bring the subs on and do us and the players a favour by givng them time to make a difference. Tomlinson could and should IMO have got in the bath at half time, his only real contribution getting No.5 booked.

We had the better of the second half but still didnt make their keeper make a save, might be wrong but i can only recall one shot on target in 90 mins...which i think was pretty much the same for the Tranmere game. Not good enough at home. 13 goals on the bench, at least one of them has to start on Tuesday.

They might be top of the league but they looked distinctly average to me and its our manager who has hamstrung us today i feel.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 72
sonofmadeleymariner
October 3, 2015, 6:21pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.89
Rep Score: +20 / -9
Approval: +1,451
Gold Stars: 37
On my tablet so I appologise for the spellings now.

Hurst was caught between a rock and a hard place selection wise if he changed it people would of moaned why did he change a winning team, he doesn't play our best team and people moan.

Both sides were awful but I think we made FGR look good. We looked clueless from start we looked devoid of any sort of tactic apart from the usual crap of lets hoof it to Monkhouse and hope he wins it.

Clay and Disley did well but often played us into danger same with East and Robertson.

Pearson and Gowling were superb and Macca along with that as he had no hope of saving the goal.

Monkhouse started bright but the game was quickly bypassed him as he is obviously to slow to keep up.

Mackreth had spits and spurts.

Pittman looked lost with little support but ran his socks off working hard. Tomlinson was excrement, looked out of place and was god awful.

Why does Hurst A make some substitution choices and B leave them so late theres little chance it will help.

AAAAÀAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH so frustrating!!!

I don't mind Roy Keane making £60,000 a week. I was making the same when I was playing. The only difference was I was printing my own - Mickey Thomas

The area you are trying to protect at corners is the goal - Chris Kamara

I once said Gazza's IQ was less than his shirt number and he asked me: What's an IQ? - George Best
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 72
DocTower
October 3, 2015, 6:29pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Rep Score: +10 / -5
Approval: +1,223
Best players left on the bench until too late .  The set up of the team I felt was more like a go out and not loose .  
McKeown  in the first half was lucky after dithering,  do I don't I go for the ball , other than that I think they had 2 shots resulting in a goal ,
Defensively Gowling managed Parkin well , East had a tricky winger to look after ,  Pearson had a battle with Guthrie a lot of pushing and pulling missed by the ref .
Midfield , was pushed back far to easily leaving Tomlinson and Pitman isolated . Both battled hard without creating much . Mackreth had good game putting in some lovely crosses.  
At 1-1 the game died at 65 minutes and only came to life when subs came on . Should have been earlier IMO  
F/Green , organised side moved the ball around well , like most teams they know how to make nigglie pulls trips blocks .
Suppose a draw was always always on the cards , we gave them too much respect . Knowing we can play better with the players we have its frustrating .
Ref missed a lot , didn't give us much , but that's why they are in this division .
Great crowd again , appalling away support . Not even a bus full .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 72
Lincoln Mariner 56
October 3, 2015, 6:32pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,696
Gold Stars: 79
Have to say that draw was about right and concur with most other posters thst neither side really deserved to win. I can take starting with the same team but agree that change should have been made at half time as front two were pretty ineffective although pitman took his goal well, Mcreth was his normal self, which is not meant to be a compliment and I do not what he brings to the team.

The disappointing aspect for me was the speed in which we get the ball forward but in the fitst half this was not helped by Tomlinson & Pitman not showing for the ball. Too many passes are "safe" balls played sideways, then to Macca boot for Monkhouse's head and too often he is beaten or FGR picked up the second ball.

Our midfield remains too weak IMO, Monkhouse has had better days and whilst obviously a good footballer like Kerr has arrived 3 years too late and the more the season has progressed the more ponderous he has become.

For tuesday I would change both wide men and recall Bogle &Almond, with Marshall & Arnold as our wide players.

Gives us pace going forward and players with movement, lets hope PH agrees but....
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 72
jonnyboy82
October 3, 2015, 6:33pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.28
Rep Score: +71 / -36
Approval: +5,688
Gold Stars: 95
Quoted from Hagrid
Fair result, neither team particuarly impressive, but still a point gained imo, very very poor ref but not to blame for us not winning, but his decision to not give a penalty for the blating holding astounds me. Need to start getting 3 points on a more consistent basis but not going to slate the team, we didnt
Lose! gowling was superb, a deserves MOM, was very dissapointed to see some booing/ cheering when tomlinson went off, thought he battled all afternoon, 3 points please Tuesday!

So basically copy and paste week after week.

How long do you want to keep saying "but we need 3 points next week"

We are tenth and off the pace chopping and changing the team with no conviction in anything we do.

I bet if you asked all town fans would you be happy with being tenth place in october 99%  would say no and it puts operation promotion to a massive shame.

Shame because we all know fenty wont do jack excrement about it.

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 72
Hagrid
October 3, 2015, 6:37pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Didnt say it last week Jonny, we won, can you remember?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 72
Maringer
October 3, 2015, 6:37pm
Barley Wine Drinker
I thought Monkhouse played decently today. Did a lot of work covering back defensively and helped clear up things in the box on a number of occasions in the first half especially. One thing that frustrated me today was that the forwards weren't make the runs on the assumption that Monkhouse would win some of the flicks (and he did win a number of them) so tended to be stationary and second to the ball too often. If you're going to play long balls for a flick on, you have to have the strikers/runners getting into the right position to benefit from the flicks and we rarely did.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 72
jonnyboy82
October 3, 2015, 6:41pm
Vodka Drinker
Hagrid i meant its always one step forward and one step back basically hence why i said its always the same old line " we need 3 points next week" rolled out.

We never just lay down a statement.

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 72
Hagrid
October 3, 2015, 6:43pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from jonnyboy82
Hagrid i meant its always one step forward and one step back basically hence why i said its always the same old line " we need 3 points next week" rolled out.

We never just lay down a statement.

i do see your point, but honestly i dont see an answer, Fenty will not sack Hurst, and whilst we are not losing games,he's in his right too, Im Pro hurst, but i can assure you im not happy about being 10th in the league at this stage
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 72
Mrs Doyle
October 3, 2015, 6:52pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Approval: +4,859
Monkhouse made some vital defensive clearances and Pearson and Gowling had their hands full with their mauling front men. Also they always seemed to have that extra player in midfield not the first team to do this.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 72
chaos33
October 3, 2015, 6:57pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,937
Gold Stars: 360
Quoted from Lordgibil
Yes Tomlinson always "battles" but has never looked like scoring for us!  Remember when Hurst slagged Amond off for missing one header and then dropped him?  Tomlinson missed more chances today than Amond has missed all season so it seems to me Hurst has something against strikers who have a bit of nouse and can score goals.

This!

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 72
Tommy
October 3, 2015, 7:01pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,868
Gold Stars: 76
I don't think we can argue that a draw was the right result today based on the balance of the game. In fact it was quite a stalemate for the most part with very few chances.

Thought we showed good intent initially with Tomlinson winning the ball about 3 seconds after FGR kicked off, but we didn't follow this up with aggressive pressing. The few times we did press as a group we forced them into going long or kicking out of play.

We lacked movement today. Missed Arnold making angles to relieve the ball, missed Podge or Bogle dropping off to receive to feet. As a result we ended up going long too much. Clay was sloppy with some of his passing and East's use of the ball 1st half was below par. Monkhouse wasn't much use with the ball at his feet today - I think he's better with an overlapping full back who can draw the attention of his marker away.

Tomlinson did very well to turn and shoot when it just rolled wide and Pittman's turn and shot for his goal was very good. Could've had a penalty for the constant holding of Monkhouse and also on Gowling in the 2nd half.

I would've thrown Bogle & Amond on after 55/60 minutes. Give them plenty of time and take the game to a very average FGR team. I'd have left Mackreth on and took Monkhouse off for Arnold, but Marshall looked threatening when he came on and offered us pace running at their defence.

The ref was very poor and should've given us a pen at least once. But a draw was a fair result as neither side did enough to win - demonstrated by the quiet games both goalkeepers had.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 72
lee65
October 3, 2015, 7:01pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +2,486
Gold Stars: 10
Is 7 points off the top with 2/3rds of the season left really that far "off the pace"?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 72
barralad
October 3, 2015, 7:04pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,290
Given last weeks result the decision not to change the team wasn't altogether surprising although I was hoping that one of Bogle or Amond would have got the nod to partner JPP. Anyone screaming for both to be a shoe-in to play does JPP a very great disservice. The service to the front two particularly in the first half was poorer than of late so we were relying on a touch of magic. In my opinion only Bogle can hold a candle to JPP in the "create a goal chance out of nothing" stakes and Pittman's goal was absolutely sublime. Tomlinson does offer something very different but he has almost the right to expect better service than he received. Mackreth was his usual ball of utter frustration in the first half often taking the option of a back pass rather than going for a decent crossing position. Unfortunately when he did take on his full back the final delivery really wasn't up to scratch. Defensively the centre back pairing were very good throughout. Neither put a foot wrong (other than Pearson's second of aberration in the lead up to their goal) Both full backs could have done better though especially going forward-East in particular who chose today to rebut comments on here (including mine) that he has the attributes to play in midfield. His wild wide shot midway through the second half when half the team were in better positions summed him up today.
I was actually surprised at how much hoofing FGR did. When they played it on the floor they looked a decent side. Perhaps that is the result of the bad run on which they find themselves at the moment. In Parkin though they have a class act. It's a shame when money dictates entirely the level at which you want to play your football. I suspect he would walk into most teams in the lower two football leagues. He only needed the seconds given to him by first Robertson and then Pearson to create the space. Once he'd a sight of goal there was only one outcome-brilliant finish. Yeah he does all the niggly stuff but I wouldn't have been disappointed to have heard that we'd signed him.
The second half didn't really get going until the substitutions. When they came the player who easily made the most difference for me was Marshall. Trickery, the ability to beat men regularly and a far better final product would persuade me as manager to have him in from the off on Tuesday. Neither Amond or particularly Bogle looked the part but that may well be because 20 minutes isn't long enough to get into their stride.
Dis and Clay acquitted themselves well generally and Monkhouse showed glimpses that suggest there is more to his game than flicking on headers from McKeown's kicks. Tomlinson ran himself into the ground. He should've done better with his header but he gave 100% effort for the time he was on the pitch. Unfortunately he appears to be the scapegoat for Hurst's alleged mis-selection issues which is more than a tad unfair.

What should have been a thoroughly entertaining game was spoilt by the officials. The ref. appeared not to understand the advantage rule firstly when the ball had gone out for a Town throw and he pulled play back 25 yards or so and the second more telling time when due to good work by Clay Town looked to be making their advantage tell and he still pulled play back. Perhaps one of the referees on here can clear up that point. The lino on the Main Stand side in the 2nd half doesn't escape either. His offside decision against Tomlinson(?) when the guy must have run forty yards to close down the keeper was laughable.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 72
grimps
October 3, 2015, 7:05pm
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +21 / -19
Approval: +5,131
Quoted from lee65
Is 7 points off the top with 2/3rds of the season left really that far "off the pace"?

It is when we are seeing no real improvement and only one win in 4
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 72
Garth
October 3, 2015, 7:09pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,921
Gold Stars: 26
Disappointed with just the one point at home, defence played well but the game was crying out for our best goal scorers languishing on the bench wasted IMO, bringing subs on too late means that they can`t adjust to the game to make any impact, Town 1  Hurst 1 simple as
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 72
chaos33
October 3, 2015, 7:17pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,937
Gold Stars: 360
Quoted from barralad
Given last weeks result the decision not to change the team wasn't altogether surprising although I was hoping that one of Bogle or Amond would have got the nod to partner JPP. Anyone screaming for both to be a shoe-in to play does JPP a very great disservice. The service to the front two particularly in the first half was poorer than of late so we were relying on a touch of magic. In my opinion only Bogle can hold a candle to JPP in the "create a goal chance out of nothing" stakes and Pittman's goal was absolutely sublime. Tomlinson does offer something very different but he has almost the right to expect better service than he received. Mackreth was his usual ball of utter frustration in the first half often taking the option of a back pass rather than going for a decent crossing position. Unfortunately when he did take on his full back the final delivery really wasn't up to scratch. Defensively the centre back pairing were very good throughout. Neither put a foot wrong (other than Pearson's second of aberration in the lead up to their goal) Both full backs could have done better though especially going forward-East in particular who chose today to rebut comments on here (including mine) that he has the attributes to play in midfield. His wild wide shot midway through the second half when half the team were in better positions summed him up today.
I was actually surprised at how much hoofing FGR did. When they played it on the floor they looked a decent side. Perhaps that is the result of the bad run on which they find themselves at the moment. In Parkin though they have a class act. It's a shame when money dictates entirely the level at which you want to play your football. I suspect he would walk into most teams in the lower two football leagues. He only needed the seconds given to him by first Robertson and then Pearson to create the space. Once he'd a sight of goal there was only one outcome-brilliant finish. Yeah he does all the niggly stuff but I wouldn't have been disappointed to have heard that we'd signed him.
The second half didn't really get going until the substitutions. When they came the player who easily made the most difference for me was Marshall. Trickery, the ability to beat men regularly and a far better final product would persuade me as manager to have him in from the off on Tuesday. Neither Amond or particularly Bogle looked the part but that may well be because 20 minutes isn't long enough to get into their stride.
Dis and Clay acquitted themselves well generally and Monkhouse showed glimpses that suggest there is more to his game than flicking on headers from McKeown's kicks. Tomlinson ran himself into the ground. He should've done better with his header but he gave 100% effort for the time he was on the pitch. Unfortunately he appears to be the scapegoat for Hurst's alleged mis-selection issues which is more than a tad unfair.

What should have been a thoroughly entertaining game was spoilt by the officials. The ref. appeared not to understand the advantage rule firstly when the ball had gone out for a Town throw and he pulled play back 25 yards or so and the second more telling time when due to good work by Clay Town looked to be making their advantage tell and he still pulled play back. Perhaps one of the referees on here can clear up that point. The lino on the Main Stand side in the 2nd half doesn't escape either. His offside decision against Tomlinson(?) when the guy must have run forty yards to close down the keeper was laughable.

Good balanced post. Frustration and 'if only's' seem to be the order of the day.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 72
Mendonca1995
October 3, 2015, 7:18pm
Super Clive mendonca how much would he cost now
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.21
Rep Score: +6 / -1
Approval: +903
Gold Stars: 15
Monkhouse was SHOCKING he offers nothing going forward won a couple of headers that was it he's just an outlet from set pieces cos of his height, but when you have Marshall /Arnold on the bench were they would be running at you creating things I bet the right backs love it when they realise how slow he is he hasn't done nothing to convince me at all yet its just an opinion but was in my eyes poor again,

ALL TOWN AREN'T WE ⚫️⚪️
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 72
Maringer
October 3, 2015, 7:19pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Nonsense. Monkhouse was OK today. Not brilliant, but then none of the forwards or midfielders put in a better than average performance. To claim Monkhouse was shocking is proposterous.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 72
Rick12
October 3, 2015, 7:20pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Overall thought we edged it.However what concerned me was the lack of chances we created in front of goal.Hardly ever tested their keeper.Players for me that stood out was Disley as you could see technically  was one of the best,Gowling quality and possibly Tomlinson who was a willing runner and worked hard.Special mention as well to Pitman who took his goal well.Of the subs that came on Marshall straight away you could see was quality and had he started I think would have made a big difference

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 72
jonnyboy82
October 3, 2015, 7:20pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from barralad

Got halfway through , will read the rest tomorrow.

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 72
Mendonca1995
October 3, 2015, 7:34pm
Super Clive mendonca how much would he cost now
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.21
Rep Score: +6 / -1
Approval: +903
Gold Stars: 15
I watched monkhouse from both sides of the ground and he was shocking he offers us nothing good in the air but too slow he creates nothing that's why the strikers had no service when marshy came on he did more in ten mins than what monkhouse did all game he got at defenders and put crosses in how many times did monky do that??? Fans have Started to see it now especially when he's keeping Marshall/Arnold out the team how does he warrant his place ???

ALL TOWN AREN'T WE ⚫️⚪️
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 72
barralad
October 3, 2015, 7:38pm
Mariners Trust
Quoted from jonnyboy82

Ah the master of the one-liner strikes again

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 72
Rodley Mariner
October 3, 2015, 7:48pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,239
Gold Stars: 177
Quoted from jonnyboy82

Lips getting tired?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 72
Rick12
October 3, 2015, 8:01pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Mendonca1995
Monkhouse was SHOCKING he offers nothing going forward won a couple of headers that was it he's just an outlet from set pieces cos of his height, but when you have Marshall /Arnold on the bench were they would be running at you creating things I bet the right backs love it when they realise how slow he is he hasn't done nothing to convince me at all yet its just an opinion but was in my eyes poor again,
Yes Monkhouse does get up well.What struck me about Monkhouse though was I didnt particularly notice him when he was playing(admittedly Iam a harsh critic  and that sentiment  goes for a lot of the team apart from 3 in the initial starting line up).Soon as Marshall came on he caught my eye and looked like a great little winger in the 15 or so mins he came on.First time Ive seen him and I liked him straight away.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 72
grimsby pete
October 3, 2015, 8:11pm

Exile
What worries me is how our home results are starting to copy last years,

3 wins in 7 games is not good.

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 72
HertsGTFC
October 3, 2015, 9:14pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,962
Gold Stars: 228
Just back and TBH I thought it was a fair result considering we never looked convincing & they kept their shape really well and in all honesty we did not have many ideas on how to break them down. Using width was possibly the best idea but East & McKreth and in turn Monkhouse and Robertson did not work well together on each side. I think Marshall could have made a difference if he had been introduced earlier but as ever PH never acts before 60 mins.  

I lost count on the amount of time when we passed the ball to a man in isolation and failed to give him a passing option or support. We need to play a "pass and move" style of football and it appears we get the first bit right but forget about the 2nd bit.

We looked like we showed them too much respect and in the 2nd half despite having more of the game we at times forgot we where kicking towards the ponny with the ball going backwards when it should have been moved quicker forward.

I like Clay and Dis is a legend but it's hard to tell who is the holding midfielder and who is the attacking one at times also the "one sits one presses" bit never looks organised when the opposition have the ball. The long pass that Clay did from left to right to find Jack in the 2nd half was sheer class though. The central mid field is possibly our problem.  

If PH was serious about winning this game he would have picked a team to win it or at least replaced Tomlinson with either Podge or Omar at half time. Once again we failed to win in front of a big attendance.  

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 72
Trawler
October 4, 2015, 5:16am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Rep Score: +33 / -4
Approval: +915
Gold Stars: 6
Appalling ref and Lino. No proper football played thanks to that shower of shite.

It's all been said. It's just incredibly frustrating to wait 70 mins for changes that the whole of BP could see were needed at half time. Blinkered stubborn Hurst.

5000 fans again. Amazing support. But they won't be tempted back to see half our first choice eleven
Arnold, Bogle, Amond, Marshall and Toto having a 5 man knock about at half time.

The manager's team selection will take bums off seats.   He is costing us points and revenue.

Sort it Hurst.

"Pound for pound, and class for class, the best football team I have seen in England since the war. In the league they were in they played football nobody else could play. Everything was measured, planned and perfected and you could not wish to see more entertaining football." Bill Shankly, Manager GTFC 1951-54
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 72
highcliff mariner
October 4, 2015, 8:09am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +12 / -3
Approval: +778
Quoted from Trawler
Appalling ref and Lino. No proper football played thanks to that shower of shite.

It's all been said. It's just incredibly frustrating to wait 70 mins for changes that the whole of BP could see were needed at half time. Blinkered stubborn Hurst.

5000 fans again. Amazing support. But they won't be tempted back to see half our first choice eleven
Arnold, Bogle, Amond, Marshall and Toto having a 5 man knock about at half time.

The manager's team selection will take bums off seats.   He is costing us points and revenue.

Sort it Hurst.

Watched the subs kick about at halftime thinking wow look at he strength of that bench and why aren't at least 3 of them playing , ( perm any 3 from the 5 ,glad I don't have to decide which).
Frustrated !,!

Private Message
Reply: 42 - 72
DocTower
October 4, 2015, 8:20am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Rep Score: +10 / -5
Approval: +1,223
Quoted from HertsGTFC
Just back and TBH I thought it was a fair result considering we never looked convincing & they kept their shape really well and in all honesty we did not have many ideas on how to break them down. Using width was possibly the best idea but East & McKreth and in turn Monkhouse and Robertson did not work well together on each side. I think Marshall could have made a difference if he had been introduced earlier but as ever PH never acts before 60 mins.  

I lost count on the amount of time when we passed the ball to a man in isolation and failed to give him a passing option or support. We need to play a "pass and move" style of football and it appears we get the first bit right but forget about the 2nd bit.

We looked like we showed them too much respect and in the 2nd half despite having more of the game we at times forgot we where kicking towards the ponny with the ball going backwards when it should have been moved quicker forward.

I like Clay and Dis is a legend but it's hard to tell who is the holding midfielder and who is the attacking one at times also the "one sits one presses" bit never looks organised when the opposition have the ball. The long pass that Clay did from left to right to find Jack in the 2nd half was sheer class though. The central mid field is possibly our problem.  

If PH was serious about winning this game he would have picked a team to win it or at least replaced Tomlinson with either Podge or Omar at half time. Once again we failed to win in front of a big attendance.  

Spot on , short sweet to the point . My problem is most if not all the " Just Back " reports like mine are the same . We see the game , we can see our weak points , we know what's on the bench .  What game is Hurst watching?     We know he isn't a tactical genius but being at home in front of a large expectant crowd I want some excitement.  I feel we are stagnating under this regime.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 72
MarinerGaz
October 4, 2015, 8:24am

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +4 / -1
Approval: +399
Agree with the above post, forgot about Clay's long ball perfectly over their left back's head and into the path of Mackreth!  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 72
headingly_mariner
October 4, 2015, 10:00am

Vodka Drinker
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,378
Gold Stars: 120
I thought it was a decent game to be honest, no real free flowing football but a really good tussle. We were up against a good side who are clearly built to outmuscle opposition and we stood up to this well. I think it Hurst's intent is clear when only 1 team were pushing to win it 2nd half. Was disappointed with Tomlinson who for all his effort fluffed 3 or 4 good chances, personally would like to see Pittman partner one of the other 2, think he is our most intelligent forward and is brilliant with his back to goal in the box.
I struggle to understand the despair of some, I think we are clearly in touch and from seasons past we know Hurst teams get stronger as the season goes on.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 72
friskneymariner
October 4, 2015, 10:07am

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,159
Gold Stars: 38
Mackreth gives very little going forward,he is in because of his defensive contribution,which demonstrates Hurst mind set of going out not to loose matches rather than win them.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 72
headingly_mariner
October 4, 2015, 10:12am

Vodka Drinker
Quoted from friskneymariner
Mackreth gives very little going forward,he is in because of his defensive contribution,which demonstrates Hurst mind set of going out not to loose matches rather than win them.

I think this is a little unfair on yesterday's performance as he had a go at a talented full back on numerous occasions and put plenty of crosses in, including a couple that should have been buried by Tomlinson.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 72
jonnyboy82
October 4, 2015, 10:16am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from headingly_mariner
I thought it was a decent game to be honest, no real free flowing football but a really good tussle. We were up against a good side who are clearly built to outmuscle opposition and we stood up to this well. I think it Hurst's intent is clear when only 1 team were pushing to win it 2nd half. Was disappointed with Tomlinson who for all his effort fluffed 3 or 4 good chances, personally would like to see Pittman partner one of the other 2, think he is our most intelligent forward and is brilliant with his back to goal in the box.
I struggle to understand the despair of some, I think we are clearly in touch and from seasons past we know Hurst teams get stronger as the season goes on.

I struggle to despair what you are thinking if you thought that was a good game and fgr are a decent side.

Fgr are top of the league and that shows to me how you wont get a better chance to win the league as they are nothing special at all.

We are tenth so says it all really.

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 72
headingly_mariner
October 4, 2015, 10:29am

Vodka Drinker
Quoted from jonnyboy82

I struggle to despair what you are thinking if you thought that was a good game and fgr are a decent side.

Fgr are top of the league and that shows to me how you wont get a better chance to win the league as they are nothing special at all.

We are tenth so says it all really.

Where you there?

I've not said they are anything special, teams in this league aren't special, but they are clearly strong and have some good players for this league. We are 10th, but at this point in the season 10th is only 7 points from the top, is that insurmountable with 30+ games left?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 72
HertsGTFC
October 4, 2015, 10:36am

Barley Wine Drinker

I think this is a little unfair on yesterday's performance as he had a go at a talented full back on numerous occasions and put plenty of crosses in, including a couple that should have been buried by Tomlinson.

Their full back was possibly their best player for most of the game. Jack's a good lad but just needs to take more care when crossing also I think we would win loads of penalty's if he ran at defenders in the box.  

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 72
jonnyboy82
October 4, 2015, 10:42am
Vodka Drinker

Where you there?

I've not said they are anything special, teams in this league aren't special, but they are clearly strong and have some good players for this league. We are 10th, but at this point in the season 10th is only 7 points from the top, is that insurmountable with 30+ games left?

I was there and we never looked anything like a side looking for promotion whats even more strange is neither did they.

As for tomlinson i cant question his workrate but i can pauls decision to let him waltz into the team ahead of bogle and amond.

We had two strikers both at the top end of the scoring charts so what does paul do ? Drop them both, genius.

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 72
headingly_mariner
October 4, 2015, 11:37am

Vodka Drinker
Quoted from jonnyboy82

I was there and we never looked anything like a side looking for promotion whats even more strange is neither did they.

As for tomlinson i cant question his workrate but i can pauls decision to let him waltz into the team ahead of bogle and amond.

We had two strikers both at the top end of the scoring charts so what does paul do ? Drop them both, genius.

It's not as clear as that though is it? Amond had an injury that put him out of the team and Bogle was universally panned for his performances against Tranmere and Wrexham. I would also point you to the fact that Pittman has 3 in 4 starts since being in the team so I see them having trouble getting back in the team. For me though Tomlinson would drop out.  

I think when you look at the quality of other teams we have played in this division FGR and Tranmere have been a level above the others. I would suggest that we have more than matched them both. Tough game Tuesday but a win would make the last 8 games a really good run.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 72
AndyGTFC
October 4, 2015, 11:46am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +23 / -2
Approval: +804
Gold Stars: 5
Draw was a fair result because neither side were great, was a bit of an uninspiring game really. On that evidence, we're not close to a title winning side but I wouldn't put money on them winning it either.

We reverted back type in looking pretty solid defensively (after a shaky first ten minutes) but there was never really a point where I thought we were gonna win because we did very little going forward.

Definitely not as strong there without Bogle, Amond and Arnold in the side like we were at the start of the season and I'd have Bogle, Amond and Pittman in the side over Tomlinson. Not too fussed about extending his loan when it's up at the minute because he's definitely not better than what we've got.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 72
MarinerGaz
October 4, 2015, 11:49am

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +4 / -1
Approval: +399
Whatever the reasons for some exclusions I hope we are soon starting with 2 from Bogle/Podge/Pittman, and Arnold/Marshall out wide (need to be more positive). UTM  🙏
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 72
Mrs Doyle
October 4, 2015, 11:57am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Approval: +4,859
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Their full back was possibly their best player for most of the game. Jack's a good lad but just needs to take more care when crossing also I think we would win loads of penalty's if he ran at defenders in the box.  

This times 100 Jack could be a real threat if he attacked and ran into the box he plays to deep ,remember THAT goal when you cut in and let fly?

Confidence jack.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 72
oldun
October 4, 2015, 3:37pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
Well I thought it was a fascinating game between two teams having a go. OK not always flowing football but plenty of good individual battles, a bit of spice, some skilful play at times. Constroversy caused by puzzling decisions by the officials. We more than held our own and again could have nicked it. Without dwelling on the striker selections, I do think Podge would have scored at least one of Tomlinsons chances, especially the one in the first half where he failed to connect in a good position. Podge would have calmly rolled it into the corner. Unusually they gave our fullbacks a difficult afternoon. Their left winger,  especially was a real handful. Anyway on to Tuesday for the next instalment.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 72
smokey111
October 4, 2015, 3:45pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.27
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +3,352
Quoted from Rodley Mariner

Lips getting tired?

Very funny!

"The socialism I believe in is everybody working for the same goal and everybody having a share in the rewards. That’s how I see football, that’s how I see life.” Bill Shankly
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 72
jonnyboy82
October 4, 2015, 4:09pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Hagrid
Seens as i have 6 crosses- just out of interest what have i said that people dont agree with?! What sort of message would it have sent to the players if he changed it after a 4-0 win. And bogle and amond did nothing after coming on i might add

Just out of interest what sort message do you think it sends to the players when you are top of the goalscoring charts but you then get dropped for a loanee ?

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 72
grimsby pete
October 4, 2015, 5:08pm

Exile
When is Tomlinson's loan up?

I hope it's this week so I can see Bogle and Amond next week at Braintree,

With Pittman starting with Bogle and Podge coming on in the second half.

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 72
Lincoln Mariner 56
October 4, 2015, 5:12pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,696
Gold Stars: 79
Quoted from HertsGTFC

But he hardly ever runs at his full back and thats the problem, together with his woeful crossing, he freceives the ball shapes up to attack his man, stops lays it back to East who plays long ball and we lose possession. Just do not see what he gives the side but accept others will beg to differ.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 72
Madeleymariner
October 4, 2015, 5:27pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +23 / -15
Approval: +3,059
Gold Stars: 50

Where you there?

No that 7 points is surmountable but we also have to get more points than 8 other teams who could all go on a winning run-who would have had Lincoln, Dover  and Gateshead above us at this stage in the season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 72
Rodley Mariner
October 4, 2015, 6:30pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,239
Gold Stars: 177
Seen it before in the league that squad depth really tells after Christmas. Lots of the 'smaller' teams seem to go well at the start then fall away. I only see the title being won by FGR, Tranmere, Cheltenham or Town. Maybe Wrexham an outside bet.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 72
Hagrid
October 4, 2015, 8:03pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Ask the manager jonny. Not me
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 72
arryarryarry
October 4, 2015, 9:44pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,035
Gold Stars: 116
Two strong sides that really didn't impress, neither made that many scoring chances. I couldn't give a toss about FGR but I am really concerned that Hurst left it so long to make changes.

Even though we went one nil up the tactics weren't really working, I thought Tomlinson looked really poor and was amazed when he took JPP off before he took Tomlinson off.

Mackreth had probably one of his better games but for me it was still not good enough, far too many times he gets the ball in good positions then ends up turning round and passing back. I would much rather see Marshall start ahead of him.

Hurst must start with his two top goal scorers on Tuesday.
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 72
arryarryarry
October 4, 2015, 10:08pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,035
Gold Stars: 116
Interesting comments from a FGR fan.

In front of a magnificent, noisy 5,000 crowd, that was a poor game with little football on show. Neither side deserved to win and the game's 2 bright spots were the well taken goals late into the first half.

this Grimsby side is way off the standard of previous years despite the fervour of another big crowd. Disley has little skill around him and ploughs a lonely furrow.
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 72
sydney
October 4, 2015, 10:21pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.28
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +1,009
Gold Stars: 3
Spot on re our poor midfield
Come on Town!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 72
HertsGTFC
October 4, 2015, 10:35pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from arryarryarry
Interesting comments from a FGR fan.

In front of a magnificent, noisy 5,000 crowd, that was a poor game with little football on show. Neither side deserved to win and the game's 2 bright spots were the well taken goals late into the first half.

this Grimsby side is way off the standard of previous years despite the fervour of another big crowd. Disley has little skill around him and ploughs a lonely furrow.

Very poetic.......... They are possibly not as good as their fans think they are. Do you think they are jealous of our attendances? Someone needs to remind them what history does for you.

Have to agree about the  id field though absolutely rudderless and has ben since we have been in this league and probs well before then too,

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 72
barralad
October 4, 2015, 10:51pm
Mariners Trust
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Very poetic.......... They are possibly not as good as their fans think they are. Do you think they are jealous of our attendances? Someone needs to remind them what history does for you.

Have to agree about the  id field though absolutely rudderless and has ben since we have been in this league and probs well before then too,

They are hard taskmasters. One of theirs gave their manager 2/10 for yesterday! It's the first time they've gone home from here with a point.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 72
Abdul19
October 4, 2015, 11:11pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,561
Gold Stars: 217
They've done it once before and it got Neil Woods the boot.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 72
Rick12
October 5, 2015, 7:48am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from HertsGTFC

From their squad I wouldent of minded Jon Parkin and possibly Robert Sinclair in ours.Parkin for his size and ability to score as witnessed by the excellent goal he scored against us .Sinclair I liked for his energy and effort.You could tell he was really putting it in.Having players like that in your team week in week out  will make a big difference at this level if the consistency is there most games.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 72
gobby
October 5, 2015, 11:45am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.76
Rep Score: +31 / -1
Approval: +776
Gold Stars: 7
Everyone seems to agree that Parkins goal was 1st class, not disagreeing but for me JPP's goal had more to it, back to goal and taking the ball on his thigh then the swivel and shot was better in my eyes.
UTMM

The Icenian Predicition League  CHAMPION 2016/17
Beat The Clock Champion 2020/21 🏆 👏

My old man said follow the Town
And dont dilly dally on the way
We'll take Scunny in half a minute
We'll take Lincoln and all thats in it!

One Step Beyond.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 72
TownSNAFU5
October 5, 2015, 11:49am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,886
Gold Stars: 42
Some fans have said that we are not good enough to be champions this season.  We are certainly not as good as Crawley, Fleetwood, Luton or Wrexham (when they came 2nd with 98 or 99 points).

However, if we are not good enough this season then who is? Most of the current top teams are losing to their closest rivals. Apart from Grimsby that is.

I think that the so called smaller teams (with smaller squads as well) will fall off the pace during the season.  This should leave the usual suspects plus the 2 relegated teams.

Nothing between FGR and us on Sat.  If Hurst really wanted to win he would have started with Marshall and not the more defensive Macreth.  Our slow build up played into their hands.  As did conceding too much possession:  East was guilty here with some bad passes.
Monkhouse won a lot in the air and made some good defensive clearances.  However, he gave away some silly freekicks which put us under pressure.  He was not the only one.

FGR rarely threatened.  Gowling was a rock.  If FGR are the pace-setters then we are very much in the mix.  There may be a big fight for the top spot over the last 5 league games.  This could involve a few teams - as there is no one outstanding team.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 72
8 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.